Fondant Help

Decorating By pktjctu Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 2:21pm by pktjctu

pktjctu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pktjctu Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:04am
post #1 of 7

Hello,

I'm trying to color some fondant red, and Im using the Red Red wilton color but it still looks pinkish. Will it darken as it sits like buttercream, or should I keep adding more color to it?
Please help!

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:16am
post #2 of 7

It should darken, but you may still have to add more red.

But, unless you are using the 'no taste' red, your fondant can begin to taste awful. be sure to check.

thecakestylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestylist Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:23am
post #3 of 7

Yes, you definitely need to add more red. It helps if you add red buttercream... it seems to shorten the time you have to spend adding color and kneading. I usually tell everyone to peel the fondant off (even if it is marshamllow fondant), therefore I guess it doesn't matter if the taste changes. However, I definitely suggest the 'no taste red'

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:28am
post #4 of 7

I suggest using the chefmaster red gel in a tube. Very little red is needed icon_biggrin.gif

HTH's

Christi

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:35am
post #5 of 7

Use this you won't be disappointed in the least!!!!! I use it at work and it's AWESOME!!!!!

Here's a link to where you can get it: http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=21954&category_id=257

chef_ang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chef_ang Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:53am
post #6 of 7

Wilton colors are not the best. try country kitchen or a powdered color those tend to work great also wont make your fondant to sticky. You also purchase premade red fondant. in like 2lbs or 5 lbs. there are some other colors also. and it is not wilton brand it is much better then wilton and more tasteful and cost effective.

pktjctu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pktjctu Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks guys, I guess I'll add more red. Its just for decorative leaves so no one will be eating them. The only thing I can get in my city is Wilton products icon_sad.gif oh well thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%