Help - My Blue Fondant Changed Colors!

Decorating By Steady2Hands Updated 7 Oct 2007 , 3:48am by Steady2Hands

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 9

I was trying to find the right shade of blue for a wedding cake. So I took small amounts of fondant and colored them 18 shades of blue using 3 colors (Delphinium Blue, Cornflower Blue, and Sky Blue). I had a nice variety.

Today I took my color samples with me. They sat in the car and by this afternoon THEY ALL looked like they were in the Sky Blue family. Oh my gosh ~~~~ what happened to them?

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I've heard that they fade but I didn't know they'd change to a completely different color!!!

How do I prevent this from happening? I will be covering a wedding cake with white chocolate clay (like fondant only white chocolate).

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 9

colored fondant must be kept out of the light and sunlight as much as possible. once it is done, put it in a box. Also, you could paint the decorations with color mixed with alchohol.

Steady2Hands Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you.

I have another question. Does anyone know if I can do this? When making White Chocolate Clay can I add the color while the chocolate is melted before I add the corn syrup OR do I have to wait until I knead it? It sure would be nice to add it to the melted chocolate icon_smile.gif .

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:23am
post #4 of 9

As long as you are using CANDY colors, yes. Liquids and gels will cause the chocolate to seize.

Steady2Hands Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 9

Well ~ I colored a small portion and the candy clay doesn't even color the same as buttercream. I tried Delphinium Blue and Cornflower and both looked gray. This sure is frustrating. But I'm not giving up thumbs_up.gif

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 9

I would say that it was the sunlight that did it, too. Good luck!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 9

Yep, I agree with the light changing it. I've had sunlight take almost all the color out of some I did, and we have fluorescent lights in my house, and they do it, too. I learned the hard way to keep them covered up once I get the correct color. icon_redface.gif

Steady2Hands Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 9

I am setting up the cake about 6 hours before the reception. Do you think it will be safe that long if they have florescent lights?

Hmmmm ~ I'll do a sample test and set some in the sunlight right now and see what happens to the white chocolate clay.

I dread taking a picture. My camera never seems to be able to get the blue the right color.

Steady2Hands Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 3:48am
post #9 of 9

Amazingly the blue color held up great in the white chocolate. And also amazingly, my camera did a pretty good job with the blue color this time thumbs_up.gif . I'm so glad this wedding cake is done.

I ended up with a lot of leftover "blue" white chocolate. I was disappointed at the wasted money. Then while I was working on the wedding cake today a lady called and wants a baby shower with those same colors. YEAH!!!! I'll still have a lot leftover but now I feel better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%