How To Freeze Cakes?

Decorating By heather1 Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 7:38pm by heather1

heather1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather1 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 6

I've read alot of post on here about people freezing cakes. I'm just wondering what you do? How are they wrapped? How are they stored? How to unthaw them and how long does it take? How long can the cakes be in the freezer? Do they still taste fresh? Moist? Alot of questions I know, but I really want to try this out without messing my cakes up. This would be a big time saver for me. And one more thing...do you freeze a certain flavor more than others? Like your basic chocolate and vanilla?

5 replies
DebbyTCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyTCL Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Heather,
Relax, you can safely freeze cakes!

How to freeze a cake:
Cake must be completely cooled and settled. Cover the cake in 2 layers of plastic wrap, then 1 layer of foil. (At this point I use a sharpie and write on the foil the date & what size & flavor the cake is. If you freeze cakes often, one day you will open the freezer and you would think rabbits had been in there, little silver cakes everywhere! Label them how ever you want. icon_biggrin.gif ). Put it in the freeze laying flat. It will be good for 3 months. Anything beyond that, I wouldn't put in my mouth, therefore don't feed it to someone else.

To thaw the cake:
Take the cake out of the freeze and place in fridge or on the counter (Still wrapped) for a few hours. The foilf will get condensation! It will not cause any harm to the cake. Don't touch the cake or unwrap the cake until the condensation goes away.

Your cake will still be moist and fresh and taste better than the day you made it.

Hope this helps!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 6

Unless you have a good freezer, dedicated to cake (not a frost free freezer) freezing a lot cake is not a good practice. Frost free freezers can thaw and freeze repeatedly as it melts the frost.

Once the cake is cool (it is dangerous to freeze hot cake) I wrap it in double heavy plastic wrap-on a board.

Baking ahead and freezing for a specific project is a good time saver. But, in my opinion, I don't think cake should be frozen more than 2-3 weeks.

It doesn't take long to thaw the cake into order to work with it, maybe a couple of hours.

cakesbyjackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjackie Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with Debby & Joann, though I will say I don't "stock" my freezer because inevitably I won't have what someone wants anyway. All of my orders thus far are custom and are usually different sizes.

Now, scraps for making cake balls (mmmmmm....) I have a freezer full, just waiting for me to roll them into happy little goodies!!

rhiannon1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhiannon1979 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 6

Ok, I can't answer all of your questions, but I will try to answer a few. To freeze a cake you will first need to let the cake cool completely.Then you will wrap the cake up very good in sranwrap. Next you put it in foil. After all of that you can put it in the freezer. When you get ready to thaw it out, get it out of the freezer and let the cake come to room temp inside the sranwrap. I have only kept mine frozen for a week or so. I think they taste just as good as when they came out of the oven. If you want to try it just to see how it does do what I did. Make a small batch of batter and freeze it. That way you can tell what it does before you try it on a cake for a customer. I hope everything goes well with your cakes. icon_smile.gif

heather1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather1 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much everyone for the much needed info! thumbs_up.gif I was afraid if I just guessed at it I would be wasteing alot of time and money. This will help for those last minute orders and busy weeks. Thanks so much, CCers are the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%