Excited...but Need Advice On Teaching Cookie Class (Long)

Baking By Joanne914 Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 4:12am by ValMommytoDanny

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:36am
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone!

I was at my local cake decorating shop yesterday to pick up the "monster" cutter (Wilton) and we started chatting about cookies (what else would I talk about! lol) I asked them if they had ever considered offering cookie decorating classes at the store (they do offer caked decorating Wilton 1,2,3)
and the owner said that they actually had a customer just the other day ask
about a cookie decorating class. I told her that I would definitely be interested in teaching a class for them, and I left them my card. She called me tonight
and said that they are extremely interested in having me teach the class
(hmmm 4th grader teacher by day....cookie teacher by night! lol) and we spent time discussing what the class would look like. We did discuss that another cake shop (not that close, about 20 minutes away) was currently offering a cookie bouquet class that was one evening for 2 hours. That shop was charging 35.00 for the class, and they were supplying EVERYTHING!!
They were going to have their students walk away after the 2 hours with
a decorated and finished bouquet with 4 cookies! I told this to the owner of the shop who was me teach, and we both agreed that there was NO way
we could do that for only $35.00 AND supply cookies on sticks, container,
floral foam, etc. It sounds like no one (including the teacher...me!) would
make any money at all. (After all, the holidays are right around the corner, and I sure could use the extra money!)

What do all of you think? Has anyone ever taught a cookie class before?
How did you set up your class? And most importantly, how much should I ask to be paid? The owner said she would put out a sign in the store tomorrow, asking for interested people to sign up to be called when the specifics are figured out. But I told the owner I would get back to her at the end of the week. We did tentatively discuss a 2 part class. The first night would be "fundamentals" of dough (LOL) you know...rolling it out,
consistent thickness, placing the stick, etc. Then we would send them away
with a recipe, and they would try it at home, then come back the 2 class with cookies ready to decorate. But then I thought, "What if these people
can't bake!" Then what???

If someone has had experience with this, I 'd LOVE to hear from you!
Thanks for listening...I know CC members are the best...and I hoping for TONS of advice! Thanks!

Joanne

10 replies
carabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carabear Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:56am
post #2 of 11

Congrats! Sounds exciting. While I do not teach a class I had a thought about the students baking cookies and bringing them to class the next week. That is what happens in the cake courses you come with your cake bakes and iced, ready to decorate. I think it is a fine expectation that they would come with the cookies. I don't think you would have too much trouble with people not being able to follow the recipe, especially with your pointers from the 1st class. Goodluck! And definetly charge more than $35!!

tkdnvymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tkdnvymom Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:11am
post #3 of 11

when I took the cookie class at my local cake store, the teacher only charged $30.00 for 2 hrs and she supplied the cookies 5 in all. She made the royal icing and charged us $4.00 at the end of the class. The teacher keeps the $30.00 per student and the cake shop makes the money in supplies after the class. The shop is closed to the public during class and is open to buy supplies during and after class. This worked out very well and they had a number of classes that I took.

ccaluda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccaluda Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:27am
post #4 of 11

I took a 2 hr Wilton Cookie Bouquet class a few months back and paid $12.50 for the class (it was originally $24.00 but Hobby Lobby had a half off special). The instructor/Wilton provided all the supplies: baked cookies on sticks, butter cream, tips, bags, flower pot, Styrofoam, decorations, etc

The instructor showed as simple decorating techniques and how to assemble the arrangement. The class was a lot of fun and everyone left with a huge cookie bouquet.

I would take more classes if they were offered.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:44am
post #5 of 11

I am going through the same thing right now. I will be teaching a two night (2 hours per night)cookie class. I am planning on using the first night to go through "dough fundamentals" making, rolling out, same thickness....ect. Bake and make a small batch of MMF.

Second class - they bring cookies to decorate and I make royal icing, discuss edible pens, stamps, and arranging cookie bouquets. And they decorate their cookies.

I may be biting off more than I can chew. icon_lol.gif But I guess I will adjust the time and info accordingly.

I get paid $25.00 per hour /the class cost $25.00 /and I am reinbursed for my supplies. thumbs_up.gif

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 11

I am teaching a class in a couple of weeks-for our local adult ed....I am supplying the cookies, icings, etc...but am being reimbursed for any supplies. I also am getting paid-amount depends on how many attend.
My class is 3 hrs. I plan on doing a short tutorial on dough basics, rolling out, baking, etc... But the majority of the time will be on doing the decorating. I have taught one small class before this and I find that doing the icing-mixing it to the correct consistency, outlining, flooding, decorating,etc...takes the most time. I am doing 2 specific designs-one really easy(ghost) and one a little more involved-Jack O'lantern.
I do a short bit on cookie pops and bouquets, and fondant if I have time, but really just concentrate on the basics of royal decorating.
I put together a little packet with recipes, supplies needed, helpful websites, tips, etc... for them to use both in class and at home.
Hope it works out for you-it is a lot of fun to do.

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 11

I think Newtodecorating's ideas make sense. I'm jealous!! I might inquire about teaching around here... Good luck!

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 11

I have never taken a cookie class, but I think I would like the 2 part class. And I would expect to provide the supplies in addition to paying the $30+.

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks sooo much for all that took the time to give me some input. All of your ideas are wonderful, and I think I'm going to suggest the 2 class format to the owner. The first class will concentrate on dough, rolling, thickness, etc.
Then send them on their way with the recipe, return for the second class with
their cookies to decorate. I had to bring my own cake for the Wilton class,
so this will be exactly the same! I will be sure to let you know how it turns out Thanks again for helping me to "think this through!" icon_smile.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:25am
post #10 of 11

JoAnne- hope this helps you...
I had my first class tonight. It lasted 2 hours. I made NFSC discussed butter/margarine/crisco, showed rolling out between 2 wooden dowels taped to the table for consistant thickness. Talked about rolling out between parchment and the reasons why. Rolled out 3 sheets of dough and put it in the fridge. While it chilled we talked about MMF and I made the small batch. I left some white, colored some orange,and green.

Cut out 3 diff shapes of cookies (one of each shape for each person) put sticks in some -discussed before/after insertion. Baked cookies-while in the oven rolled out MMF and cut with same cookie cutters.

Decorated with MMF, showed stamping tech., used melted candy melts to put face on pumpkin cookies, and used food pens to write on the 3rd cookie.

I put one of each cookie in brown sandwich bags and sent home with students along with recipes for MMF, and NFSC.

Their assignment this week is to bring in 6 baked cookies to decorate in class. I will make royal and everyone will share it.

I finished with 5 minutes left in the 2 hour class. thumbs_up.gif

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 4:12am
post #11 of 11

Wow what a great opportunity!
I agree with the two class meeting concept - one to make and take home to bake and last one to decorate.

icon_smile.gif What fun - congrats!!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%