Glazed Look?

Decorating By Tomoore Updated 6 Dec 2006 , 1:54am by cakesksa

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 5

I know that if I use luster dust, I can make shine...but is there a way to make something look shiny and glazed? I am thinking of something like the pastillage...so it doesn't look so dry and dull.

4 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 5

you can dip your finger into a little water...then rub it onto the surface of your pastillage. the water will dissolve some of the sugar on the surface of the pastillage.

and it will seal the top layer. but be careful too much water will melt your piece.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 5

I used mrsmissy's tip when I did my roasted turkey...get an in-expensive spray bottle,( got mine at walmart in the hair notions dept. ) dilute corn syrup with some water and spray on your surface LIGHTLY...I sprayed it on crusting buttercream. It will over spray some, you may need to mask part of your project...I don't know how it works on fondant or sugarpaste though.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 5

I've found an item called Petal and Leaf glaze, that leaves a nice glazed look (but that's here in Australia, I'm sure you guys would have something similar though, you are way ahead of us product wise). For something quick and cheap try painting a light layer of vodka, because it's a mixture of alcohol and water, it dries quickly and leaves a sheen.

Maybe take a little practice piece of pastillage and try the vodka to see if it gives you the effect you are after.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 1:54am
post #5 of 5

Depending on what you need it for, if it is on a flat surface you could use Toba Garrett's glaze. It's kind of like colorflow, except you can pipe (flood) it directly on the cake and it dries smooth and shiny. Just do a search for the recipe. I use this on cakes and cookies.

Julie icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%