Fake Cake For Display

Decorating By DIBBERS Updated 5 Dec 2006 , 1:57pm by cakesoncall

DIBBERS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DIBBERS Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 12:32am
post #1 of 8

Hi everybody!!! I've been around for a while - but never joined in on the forums...needing some help please.
I have been asked to do an enormous (oversize) cake for a window display for my company's 150th anniversary.

The person requesting the 'prop' wants the cake to be 3 tiered stacked...
and very large - 20"-28"-36", probably 6-8" deep layers..(might need to be taller now that I'm thinking abt it) icon_biggrin.gif ..we are needing this to be relatively inexpensive. I told her I would make it for the cost of the materials. She suggested plaster on styrofoam (she practiced and says it works).
Any other ideas? Perma Ice or the like is very expensive. Would appreciate any ideas~
I just love this place !! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 1:02am
post #2 of 8

I would go styro with royal. I just cannot bring myself to use plaster.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:17am
post #3 of 8

Wow those are big sizes you will have to order 2 of each size to get it 6" high for each tier and I believe you will need to special order those sizes I had to for a 20" and they are not cheap. Think I paid something like $17 for the 20". I would check out the prices for the large sizes.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:23am
post #4 of 8

Definitely royal on styro. I take an electric sander and go over my royal to make it super smooth. Good luck.

heartsfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsfire Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 3:28am
post #5 of 8

This might help with your search http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/wedding/Wfakecakes.htm

Someone once told me to add salt to my royal for window display's to help preserve it.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 8:02am
post #6 of 8

There's another option for the dummies - texas foam or something like that, it's been posted on here.

BellaRosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRosa Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 8

Here is the direct link to the Dallas Foam ordering page so you can see the prices.

http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/ordercake.html

They are the cheapest place I have EVER found! And they custom make dummies. Great customer service too.

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 8

If you can't find the exact sizes you need (or they're too expensive b/c of having to custom order), you can combine smaller dummies to get the size. For instance, I needed an 18" square for a wedding last year. It was cheaper (especially after shipping costs) to order a 12" square and 3 6" squares to arrange into an 18" square. Then I just taped them together, wrapped in saran, and iced them. This also gives you more variety of dummies for future use. I would also use royal icing for a display case, especially if you plan on getting your dummies back to use again...the plaster would render them useless.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%