Emergency-- Fondant Bow Disaster Need One In A Hurry

Decorating By kmk Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm by Fascination

kmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmk Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 9:42am
post #1 of 22

I'm doing my best friend's wedding cake as a gift to her. She picked out a picture of a square cake with a big fondant ribbon on top. i'T FIVE LAYERS. I'm a bad procrastinator and very busy. We just moved 2 days ago and my stuff is everywhere. I tried for the first time a fondant bow last night until 2 am. Disaster is not the word for it. The wedding is Saturday. I know fondant has to dry several days so I think I just blew it. Where can I BUY A BIG LOOPY FONDANT BOW IN A HURRY. PLEASE HELP!

21 replies
shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:04am
post #2 of 22

you can try doing one out of pure gumpaste. I have had it dry in 24 hrs, if it is not to humid. otherwise try ebay or google and see if any sites. Don't know any except for the one wilton has but it is lots of loops not just regular bow.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:09am
post #3 of 22

If you're in the US find a store that carries Wilton products- they have a 6 1/2 inch cake bow. It says out of stock on their website- but check your local stores- Michaels, AcMoore, Hobby Lobby, etc . Also try a local cake decorating shoppe. I'm in upstate NY and the best is in Syracuse- Top of the Cake. Their phone number is 315-463-5025. Good luck!

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=107B83C9-802D-F658-0540B53D2E2D6C50&fid=107B83D9-802D-F658-034513D0F53944FD

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:19am
post #4 of 22

Yes, gumpaste or add tylose to your fondant is the way to go. Now when you say disaster I don't know if you mean you broke the one you had or are having trouble doing it... either way you have come to the right place icon_smile.gif

I would try it again and put a fan on it or, even better, stick it in a food dehydrator if you have access to one.

kmk Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:29am
post #5 of 22

My trouble is that I cannot set the loops on their side to dry because they keep buckling. I tried doing it thicker and it is still happening. I will try the store in Syracuse. I am about 1 hr from them. Thank You so much. Keep the suggestions coming. I am a basket case at this moment.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:33am
post #6 of 22

Take the handle off of your broom (or use something like that) and clean it good. put the ends up on something then slide your loops onto the handle and they will keep their shape.
Val

kmk Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:33am
post #7 of 22

Do you think if I get a white fondant bow from Michael's etc I could air brush it chocolate colored? She has to have a chocolate colored bow.

kmk Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:38am
post #8 of 22

I tried to do the plastic dowel rod trick but the fondant seemed to stretch. I am using Rhonda's MMF ultimate chocolate recipe. Let me tell you eating the mistakes was marvelous.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:40am
post #9 of 22

From their website:

6 1/2 in. Cake Bow
Perfect for all celebrationsshowers, weddings, birthday! Clever cake topper can also be used as a centerpiece, and may be colored to match your celebration with Wilton Icing Colors and/or royal icing.

You should be able to air brush it!

Bijoudelanuit Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:48am
post #10 of 22

Definately call Top of the Cake first. They're so wonderfully helpful! They're open 9-5 M-F , but closed on weekends normally. If you call and someone answers they'll actually open for you! They were bought out / moved in the spring to a new addy:

4000 New Court Ave, Syracuse, NY 13206
The Top of the Cake signs are actually in the windows (a bit hard to see unless you're looking for them). It's a white building with green and red trim. The larger signs say Capaco Inc.

I don't remember seeing a bow- but I know they have many gumpaste/fondant florals and items that I didn't take the time to look at. If you're in that area Michael's Syracuse is on Route 5 in Dewitt just past the Olive Garden and last I knew they had the bow in the store!

Best wishes icon_smile.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:52am
post #11 of 22

I don't lay my loops on their side, I stuff them with loosly wadded up saran wrap and put them on my dining room table under a ceiling fan on high. I use Wilton's ready made gumpaste with nothing added and they dry fine in 24 hours or less. I also luster dust each piece before I fold or pinch together that way every nook and crannie is covered.
Hope this helps
Jibbies

kmk Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:58am
post #12 of 22

Thank you for the tips. I will try this. I'm just freaking right now. I'm going to try to take the rest of the week off from work to do this cake right. She is my best friend and I want to make it perfect. Thanks again for all your help.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:25am
post #13 of 22

Kmk I agree with people when they say use GP. That is how I make all my bows because I am also a procrastinator icon_sad.gif . If I need a bow for a Saturday cake and it is Monday , I usually wait till Wed. and make my loops. With GP if you roll thin (but not paper thin) strips and press them together quickly they will dry in a matter of 12 or so hours! icon_biggrin.gif and you can spray them icon_smile.gif. I also stick mine together with RI and prop the different layers up with wadded up paper towels and it dries rather quickly...I always do it on the bottom of the pan of the size of cake that I am putting it on. Lay a piece of wax paper on the bottom of the pan and put a blob of RI down on the wax paper and make your masterpiece. Let it dry on there...peel off the wax paper and put it on your cake icon_biggrin.gif

HTH's icon_biggrin.gif

Christi

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:39am
post #14 of 22

BTW if you look in my gallery you will see a bow I made on Saturday evening for a cake Sunday afternoon. It's the first cake in my gallery if you care to look
Thanks
Jibbies

Suzy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzy40 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:44am
post #15 of 22

Hey KMK

I use a bunch of rolled up tissues inside my loops and leave them there till completely dry , you can also use scrunched up plastic , like those cheap shopping bags inside the loops ,
if you have normal fondant , and cmc , it will dry in 24 hours if you need it too , I make all mine in that time frame , rain, hail or shine

good luck
Let us know how it turns out

Suzy

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:00pm
post #16 of 22

You can make a bow out of melted CandyMelts and have it ready in under 30 minutes. I just cut strips of freezer paper, 6" long and 3/4" wide, parallel to the edge of the paper that curls. Coat the shiny side of the paper with the candy, using an offset spatula. Hold the strip so it hangs down and slide your fingers along the edges to clean. Touch the ends together and lay on a tray covered with waxed paper. If the ends want to pop open, anchor them in place with a pen or pencil. They'll harden on their own in about ten minutes, less if you place them in the fridge. Peel the paper off. Arrange on your cake, using some melted candy to "glue the loops in place. The final loops can be shortened to fit nicer by snapping off a part of the loops "tail".

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:27pm
post #17 of 22

I agree even adding 50% gumpaste to 50% fondant makes a huge difference in drying time. Don't fret you'll do fine , it's the mixture that's the problem not you. icon_biggrin.gif

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:37pm
post #18 of 22

Everyone has given great tips on what to do, but in the unlikely event nothing works, I'd suggest buying one of those large fabric or plastic gift bows from a party store to place on the cake. Does the cake have ribbons around the edges?

messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 1:52pm
post #19 of 22

Make some chocolate plastic (mix 1lb melted dark chocolate with 1/3 cup corn syrup) leave it in the fridge overnight and then next day it will take you about ten minutes to make a bow and about twenty for it dry! It also tastes great. There's a picture in my gallery of a bow made from this medium.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:07pm
post #20 of 22

Walmart carries the big loopy bows by Wilton already made.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 4:58pm
post #21 of 22

Plastic wrap, paper towels, cotton balls.... stuff that bad boy! (I like cotton balls)

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk

Do you think if I get a white fondant bow from Michael's etc I could air brush it chocolate colored? She has to have a chocolate colored bow.

Hello

do you have any chocolate ? if so, make chocolate clay - (just add 1/4 cup corn syrup to 14 oz of warm, melted chocolate).
make your bow out of chocolate clay. it will dry faster, especially if you roll it a bit thick.

good luck.
ciao

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%