Opinions On Kitchenaid Mixer

Decorating By laxeash Updated 5 Dec 2006 , 9:04pm by peacockplace

laxeash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laxeash Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 19

What are the pros & cons?
Is it too heavy that it needs a dedicated space on the counter rather than use-n-store?
Looked online & the prices are very varied. Is it due to the difference in mixing bowl size?
What size & make do you have/would prefer?
Thanks in advance!!

18 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 19

I love both of mine! I have a Pro 6 (with the 6 qt. bowl and lift-bowl feature) and a HD (5 qt bowl with lift-bowl feature). I do have a dedicatd space on my counter for them only because I have no place else to store them. But, then for the amount that I use them, it would be a waste for me to keep puting them away and lugging them out everytime I need to use them. They are not that heavy, but I certainly would not want to drop one on my foot! icon_wink.gif I like the pro 6 because I can do 4 batches of icing at one time, but it is loud because of the larger motor. I like the HD because I can do smaller batches of icing and it is much quieter than the Pro 6. I like the lift-bowl feature more, but I think that is personal preference and I don't think I could ever go for the smaller models either.

The differences in prices is true--they are all over the board. It depends on the model and whether it is refurbished. And just some places really like to charge a ton for KA's just because of the name brand. It really does help to shop around to find a good price.

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 19

I waited a long time to get one of these mixers because they are so expensive. They are heavy, but... I couldn't imagine going back to a hand held. I don't like anything to be out on my counters, but my KA stays on top. I have used it to mix alot of things I didn't consider before. I thought I was buying it strictly for cakes, but I have even used it to mix meat loaf and sausage balls.

There is a tray that you can have installed in your cabinets that will pop up and hold the mixer, when you are done it releases and slides the mixer back in the cabinet. You can order them from a copmany called rockler, but you may find it at home depot or lowes with all of the cabinet hardware (like hinges and drawer slides, etc.)

laxeash Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 19

I should have mentioned that I very recently got interested in cake decorating and baking cookies.
I'm not sure if the mixer is going to get much use as hubby doesn't eat anything sweet, so I'm not looking for top-of-the-line. I bought a hand-mixer in july this year and it has already taken a beating after just 5 cakes, LOL.
Was wondering if I should go for an expensive Kitchenaid or another inexpensive hand mixer?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 19

...if its just for fun at home, I would probly suggest another hand mixer of some sort (unless ya have money to burn). The KA's are pretty expensive but they are worth every penny. If your gonna be into it, all the baking, decorating, etc, then I ould suggest a KA. I have 2 of them, one was handed down to me from my grandma (I think its about 20 years old) and the other one my mom just gave me. They both work fantastic!
icon_wink.gif

Lejla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lejla Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 19

My opinion is,if you don't bake a lot or often and in large quantities.I would go with one of those JC Penney has.I think they cost about 150 or some dollars.In the other hand,I have KA pro6 and it is awesome.Just the fact that you don't have to fuss with making MMF by hand would make me buy no other,lol.If you are planing to go in bussines with you baking then I'd deffinately say buy KA.Other ways there is really no point spending 400 or 500 dollars on it.Just what I think.Good luck!!

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 19

I have a really really old 4.5qt mixer with metal gears for home. They stoped making them this way, they now have plastic parts. I have a Professional 10qt mixer at my shop which is made by Hobart (who makes KA). I have to say they are AWESOME!!!

P.S. I live in Long Beach, MS and my Kitchen Aid went through Hurricane Katrina and it still runs today.

(Sorry I should say "lived". I moved to MO where we currently live in Rolla)

laxeash Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 19

Thank you all for your feedback.
I'm def not looking at the Professional series as I highly doubt if I'd make into business. Maybe I'd start baking a lot when we start a family? Dunno...

I'm looking at the lowest range...
The Kitchenaid website lists mixers from 250 watts to 325 watts.
Is 250 watts good enough for most baking? How does it perform on making tough bread doughs? Or is it better to upgrade to 300 watts?

I havn't worked with fondant yet but if I were to try MMF in future, will 250 watts suffice?

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 19

hiya lax,
I have a 250 and I make fondant with it all the time. I haven't had a problem with it whining or sounding like it's going to explode or anythng. The only prob I personally have with it is that the bowl is smallish. I hinted to the hubby that I would like to have another bowl (those things ain't cheap) and maybe the pasta roller attachment. Or both (that would be sooo awesome).

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 19

i recently got a KA pro mixer on sale at costco for 300$. it was definitely worth the money! i use it for my cakes, cookies and frostings. the husband uses it for mashed potatoes icon_biggrin.gif
i really waffled about getting it for awhile, because it is a lot of money, but the amount i have spent on hand mixers that eventually crap out definitely merit the extra expense!
my advice, if you do decide to go with KA, is to shop around... you can find a KA outlet, refurbs, or used ones on Amazon and end up paying a LOT less than you would in store!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 19

I have the small KA and if you're into baking at all it's so worth it. I want a bigger one at some point but I've been abusing mine for several years now and it's still going.

I burned a Sunbeam mixer up in about 6 months and when my husband bought me a new mixer he decided that the money spent on the KA would be worth it to keep from having to buy new mixers. This was before I was into cakes but I did bake quite a bit.

I keep mine in a cabinent since I don't really have a good spot on the counter that I can dedicate to it.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 6:33pm
post #12 of 19

I do also have a KA pro 9 speed hand mixer--that thing was worth every penny I put into that (about $70). I kelpt blowing my cheapy hand mixers also and finally deceided to go with a better one. This thing is supposed to be able to mix stiff cookie doughs with no problems. I have not tried it yet, just cause I use my my stand mixer. But my KA hand mixer is NICE!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 6:50pm
post #13 of 19

KA is a good mixer, but in my opinion not the best made. They were once, when they were made by Hobart. Yes, they are heavy if you have to lift them, but if you measure the distance between your countertop and the bottom of the cabinet above and find the perfect spot for the mixer you shouldn't have to move it. You can slide it out to clean behind it and tilt it to clean under it.

laxeash Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 8:37pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillchap

you can find a KA outlet, refurbs, or used ones on Amazon and end up paying a LOT less than you would in store!

I noticed that you live in Canada too. I live in Ontario (time to update my profile).
I have seen refurbished ones on Amazon but they can't be shipped outside US.
Any place you might know around Toronto for deals?

I found this at HomeOutfitters. What do you guys think of this one below?

http://shop.hbc.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=51545&langId=-1

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 8:54am
post #15 of 19

I love my KA pro 6, it is a work horse, and I can't tell how much it is used. I also have a 20 qrt, which works just as hard. I can't imagine not having either one.

TheKookieWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheKookieWench Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 19

I bought my mom a KA 5qt professional about 7 years ago for Mother's Day and and it ran me close to $400 but I tell you, the results have well made up for the money spent. I find myself using her mixer now even more than she does and she uses it every chance she gets! I can't wait for the day when I can buy one for me because I can't even begin to think of making cakes, cookies, or frosting without it! And my aunt has had her's now for like close to 40 years.

laxeash Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:33pm
post #17 of 19

Thank you all for the feedback. I bought this one below last night. The specs is same as Artisan but with a small bowl (4.5 quarts). Also it came with a bonus pack of 6 small gadgets. I bought it in sexy RED color. I can't wait to try it out this weekend!!

http://shop.hbc.com/webapp/wcs.....&langId=-1

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 6:13pm
post #18 of 19

ka is a great choice...you will have it for years to come. who knows...you may need the bigger one if you decide to do a business.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 9:04pm
post #19 of 19

I have had the 4.5qt Artisan for years now and love it! I'm so excited because my Mom and Dad got me the 6qt pro for Christmas. I can't wait!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%