Fulfuling A Dream...need Help

Business By iluvcakes5 Updated 1 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm by JoAnnB

iluvcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvcakes5 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 2

Okay, I am a small town girl... in my small town the only bakerys are in grocery stores. I would love to one day open my own shop. I do not know where to begin. If you go to www.justfab.com or like charm city cakes. How do you make cakes that have that gourmet flavoring to them. Also, I would love to make cookies, cupcakes, cakes, pies, etc... all of that.

I just do not know where to begin. How do I advertise myself? I need some guidance - who can help me? Should I open it now when my business is not real big or should I wait and get my name out there? Do you open your shop to the public?

So many questions - who do I ask?

Thank you for your time...

1 reply
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 2

I think you have to start by finding out what is permitted in your state. If you can start your small business at home, it will give you time to perfect your skills and start building your client base.

If you can have your business at home, it will save you the extra money in overhead that a shop will cost. (rent, utilities, insurance, taxes, and many more items)

I built a kitchen in my garage for about $23,000. I had to add a bathroom and several sinks (and a grease trap). I was not required to have commercial appliances, so that saved me some money.

Indydebi has a shop and started with equipment costs of over $50,000 plus the buildout of $20,000.

It will be nearly impossible to get bank financing for a new business.

Start by calling your local health department or department of Agriculture to see who licenses kitchens, and if your state allows domestic kitchens.

Or tell us where you are and maybe someone can help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%