Update! I Shot Myself In The Foot.

Decorating By andiesweet Updated 4 Dec 2006 , 5:00pm by tiptop57

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 6

A few weeks back i posted the thing with my boss wanting me to do her daughters shower cake. She asked meif i trusted her to pay me well for the cake... I did. And now... ouch! I posted the pics in my pics. I made her 2 cakes... one was to look like her dress... very simple, just like the picture. The other one i hand made l=calla lilies out of modeling chocolate and luster dusted them, they turned out great. ( i think so anyway...). I brought her the 2 cakes and she LOVED them.. She raved on and on... then she hands me $50. I guess i should be happy with anything at this point. I still not that great at this cake stuff... but I would have given more than that.
I guess what makes me madder is that my hubby was right... again. He said I should have charged her $75. Oh well... like my mom always says.. Live and learn... die and forget it all.

5 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 6

Ouch! icon_lol.gif

Do you think she took advantage of you, or are you good friends?

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 6

Maybe she felt it was enough for both even though it wasn't. I am sure they weren't trying to take advantage of you. People don't realize the time into making cake and don't realize that you made the flowers. They assume you probably bought them.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 6

Don't feel too bad, I've seen veteran cakers do the same thing...Next time SET A PRICE! Right at the beginning.
We run into this time and time again - non-cakers have no idea what goes into making a cake.
If you feel you want to give a discount, make an invoice detailing your costs; add a line regarding the discount. THAT way whoever it is knows what that cake is worth, and knows that it is a bargain.
BTW - LOVELY cakes!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 6

Oy...I'm sorry. I am slowly realizing that people have NO CLUE as to how long and what is involved in making cakes..... I guess you won't 'trust' her to pay you again icon_cry.gif Now you have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are good and can confidently charge accordingly! thumbs_up.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 6

Ohhhhhhh those cakes are lovely!!!!!! And worth tons more that $25.00 a piece!!!!!!!!!

It took me a little bit, but the first thing out of my mouth is "I'm very expensive." Then I let them know I will come back with a quote after I look at my date book! I really did practice it everyday, back and forth from my day job. (Yeppers in the car by myself talking - I am sure others thought I was nuts. icon_lol.gif )

Learn to say that to your clients, and then you won't cringe when you look at your lovely cake pictures that they underpaid you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%