Double Boiler Recommendations?

Decorating By yellowjacket Updated 4 Dec 2006 , 1:04am by czyadgrl

yellowjacket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowjacket Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 5

I'm thinking of getting a double boiler, but I'm looking for one that's not terribly expensive. I'd use it to melt chocolate, and when making some fillings with heavy cream or eggs (like lemon curd). Any recommendations?

I found two models by Cuisinart that are only $35, but they don't look like the double boiler I was picturing...with one pan for the water, and then the inset that you put on top with chocolate or whatever. Does anyone know how these Cuisinart double boilers work? Also, what is the difference between the Universal one and the Classic Nonstick one? Thanks!

http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/product.aspx?scommand=search&search=double%2bboiler&item=22045
http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/product.aspx?scommand=search&search=double%2bboiler&item=14532

4 replies
aerobatchk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aerobatchk Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 5

It looks like the double boilers that you showed are just the insert that sits inside another pot. It isn't the complete set, like you were thinking.

I just purchased (the weekend before Thanksgiving) a cheap one at Target. It was on sale for $14.99 and included both pieces (the bottom pot for water, and the insert). It isn't anything fancy or non-stick but it worked for my Thanksgiving baking!

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 5

I like a copper bowl ontop of a pot of boiling water.

Rachel

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 5

A tempered glass bowl (Pyrex, Anchor Hocking) over hot water works well, also.

Both of those links are the same type of double boiler - it is just the insert, but it has different levels on the bottom, so it fits into different sized pots, which you supply.

I found my double boiler (3 quarts size for the insert - a big 'un!) at a flea market for $20.

Have you checked with Amazon.com or Overstock.com?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 1:04am
post #5 of 5

I like to just put a bowl over a regular pot of simmering water, makes use of stuff I already have around.

BUT I did notice that I liked the results of a wider bowl better than a depper bowl. By accident of course, at a friend's house!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%