Ideas Quick..help!

Decorating By jenlg Updated 6 Oct 2007 , 12:26pm by jenlg

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 14

Ok CC'ers I need some great ideas. One of my fiance's employees asked me to make a cake for him. He wants to propose to his girlfriend of over a year. They are only 18 yrs old. He can't afford a ring yet so he wants a cake instead. Talk about pressure. She loves the color red and horses. I can't do horses so I'm stuck with the red. It's only going to be a 9" round. And...he needs it by Friday night. I'm lost, I've never done an engagement cake. Help! (please) Thanks!

13 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 14

Have you seen the cake in the Wilton yearbook that has a chocolate or fondant ring box with an engagement ring inside? I'll see if I ca nfind it for you. It would be perfect!

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 14

Just an idea...why don't you make a red heart? You could make it like the box in your pics. You could decorate it with flowers and such.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 14

ooooh that would be perfect. There are a couple in the yearbook I think that are kind of like that. If you can't find it let me know and I can scan and send it to you.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 14

When I first read your post I thought "how many fiance's does this girl have?" icon_lol.gif Then I realized what you were saying!duh!
How about a spray of red roses with a ring tied in the ribbon
Jibbies

jen1977 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 14

Here's another similar to the first that was just on the homepage....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1094523.html

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:26pm
post #8 of 14

I think the ring box is a great idea! You could do it in red and maybe do a ribbon on top with gold or silver dust on it. It could be so pretty and elegant!

StaceyRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyRN Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 14

Ooohhh red heart covered in fondant is an awesome idea!!
I remember viewing a cake on this site with a "diamond" ring on top!!
YOu could put the ring on top of the heart!!!

StaceyRN Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:36pm
post #10 of 14

I found it! Sorry, don't know how to add it on to here, but if you search diamond ring it's the last picture!

jenlg Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for all the great ideas! I never even thought of the box with a ring idea!! I'll keep you posted!

Hey--how do I get the really gold look with the luster dust?

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 14

I haven't tried it yet, but I have read that you mix it with a little vodka and then use a small brush to "paint" it on. I know this works with fondant and such, but I'm not sure about regular icing. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will jump in and let you know!

StaceyRN Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 8:46am
post #13 of 14

I had to use the dust to color roses silver. I mixed LOTS of dust with a little clear vanilla flavoring (the smelled SSOOO) good!! and they were really silver too!

jenlg Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 12:26pm
post #14 of 14

Here is the final cake. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas. He was given a ring to use so we just put it on the cake. I just wish my exposure was a little better. Can't wait to hear what happens when she opens the box!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1115883.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%