Bride Complaint...am I Wrong?

Business By Jenn123 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 10:50am by mgdqueen

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:14am
post #31 of 102

The cake wasn't dry. She sid that because I asked if they served the whole thing. The bride didn't think it was grand enough. She wanted something big! If you look at the photo she sent... you will see huge champagne flutes in the background. Gee they must have been beer kegs to make that cake seem so big in her mind.

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:49am
post #32 of 102

I just wanted to say your cake is lovely. Well done

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:13pm
post #33 of 102

Your cake is beautiful. Like everyone else, I think they're looking for something for nothing.

Keep up the good work.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:23pm
post #34 of 102

THIS is why I no longer do wedding cakes! TOO MUCH DRAMA!

Beth in KY

SORRY! Must add that your cake is BEAUTIFUL and don't let anyone tell you differently.

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:32pm
post #35 of 102

Your cake is FANTASTIC! Don't let that lady have her money back. You deserve every penny.

tcp

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #36 of 102

The cake wasn't "grand" enuf???? That's why she should have picked out a 5-7 tier cake! You can only get a 3 tier cake (with no pillars, fountain, etc.) to look so "grand". I think you did a beautiful job! It's a very lovely fall cake!
Keep in mind, had you done a BIGGER cake, you probably would have heard that they had WAY TOO MUCH cake and it was a "waste of money" on their part. No pleasing people like that....

Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:11pm
post #37 of 102

I think the cake is perfect. The scrolls are the same as the top photo and the leaves are exactly the same as the ones in the second photo, not to mention that it is simply a beautiful cake all together.

... by the way I can't find it to put it into my favs.!

Jenn123 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:13pm
post #38 of 102

I haven't posted it.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:14pm
post #39 of 102

[quote="DelightsByE"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It's kind of like - you go to a restaurant, order something, eat it, decide you don't like it, then you can't dispute it with the credit card. You ate it, end of story. HTH.

Hey I waited tables and believe it or not I had customers ask me to tell the manager to reduce the price because the last time they were there prices were cheaper! even thgough there are prices on the menus! The things people will do.

Photomommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Photomommie Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:21pm
post #40 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nanette

Tell MIL to go suck lemons.

thumbs_up.gif

Perfectly said,
your cake is beautiful, it looks to me like it was exactly what she asked for. Like Amycakes said, if you made it "grander" they would've complained that the cake was to big and a waste of money!
She is probably the kind of person that you can NEVER satisfy.

Be proud of your cake it is a beautful fall wedding cake!
Good luck with this !!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:27pm
post #41 of 102

your cake is beautiful. you did nothing wrong. i would consider charging more...you do excellent work. i hate when this happens...to me...or to other cake decorators. people just don't get it...you get what you pay for! icon_confused.gif

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:37pm
post #42 of 102

I think it's beautiful and you gave them what they asked for. I don't think you'll have a problem with the CC company. One thing is for sure...I would NEVER do business with them again.

Keep your chin up!

Wanda

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:48pm
post #43 of 102

Your cake was fantastic--I loved how you combined the designs of the 1st 2 cakes! If the bride wanted a more "grand" cake she should've ordered one. Heck they didn't even cut the Groom's Cake! And as far as the ribbon (your version looks great, who cares if it's satin that you cant eat!), that complaint is what tipped me that this is all about buyer's remorse, MOB trying to get some money back. I hope that the CC gets your side of the story. And I wouldn't do another cake for these people EVER again (unless you add a HEFTY HEFTY PITA fee!!)

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:02pm
post #44 of 102

Your cake is very nicely done! However, I have to disagree, I do think it was on the small side for 125 guests. 6-8-12 according to Wilton serving sizes, which are impossible for me to achieve, is only 95. I use Earlene's chart, which would have given less than 80 servings. For 100, a minimum for me would be a 6-10-14, since I don't count the top tier.
I would have offered the bride the choice of a 6-10-14 at 95/105 (servings without/with top tier,) or an 8-12-16 at 135/155 servings. Then it would have been her choice if the cake wasn't "grand" enough.
Also, if a bride is on the cusp of a smaller cake and a larger cake, I like to show them the difference in presence with cake pans. If a bigger cake is important, they will go with it.
After all, wedding cake goes REALLY well with coffee the morning after the wedding when everyone is reliving the evening!
Was the groom's cake in addition to the 125 servings, or was it included in that count?

MFitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MFitz Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:16pm
post #45 of 102

A question about making a cake look "Grander" if there is only a small # of guests:

Do any of you ever use dummy (decorated styrofoam) tiers to increase overall size?

How do you charge?

thanks

PS- the cake you did was beautiful

Jenn123 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:21pm
post #46 of 102

The groom's cake was an additional 50 servings. I guess it might have been on the small side but she didn't run out of cake or even cut the Groom's cake. Please keep in mind that there was an extra layer on each tier. I used smaller pans but made them taller. Making a 14-10-6 would have been about 4" shorter! icon_smile.gif

FrostinGal Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:15pm
post #47 of 102

MFitz, I hate working with dummies, so I charge the same. To increase the size of a cake, I offer the option of a plainer design, which will stretch their dollar further, or putting risers under the cake, draped with table linens. Cake stands can also add height and grandeur to a cake. Or just sucking it up and buying a bigger cake works, too. icon_wink.gif I am quick to point out that nobody ever turns their nose up at a piece of wedding cake. In our family, we always have extra, especially if I am making it, and it's almost a tradition to get together the next morning and have coffee and wedding cake at the MOB or MOG's house. Not like extra cake will go to waste. Always be sure to provide boxes for leftovers.
Jenn, you are right, the extra 2" layers would bring the total count to 135 for a 4" high top tier and a 6" high 8 and 12" tier. My bad. I don't think that the average person understands the height thing, though. In this case it's just a matter of perception and expectation and/or greed. MOB may have been expecting a wider, not higher cake. I dunno.

MFitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MFitz Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:21pm
post #48 of 102

Thank You FrostingGal- Great ideas!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm
post #49 of 102

Serious question: When you make a tier 2" taller (i.e. it's now 6" tier instead of a 4" tier), how do you cut it for extra servings? I use the wilton cutting chart, so mine are 4" tall and 2x1" wide.....do you cut it 2x 1/2" wide instead? Doesnt' that make it difficult to handle and do the guests view it as "paper thin" instead of longer/taller?

Help me understand, please.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:01pm
post #50 of 102

Don't sweat this one! The cake was gorgeous, they ate it and now they wanna bit@# about it. Too little too late! I can see if you had delivered something that looked nothing like what they had ordered but not for this. It wasn't big enough yet they had cake left over??? It didn't look like a wedding cake? What does a wedding cake look like? I made one a couple weeks ago that was hot pink and black. Goodbye typical it's 2007. I agree with those who say, BUYERS REMORSE! I will tell you they may have expected a cake that was 6ft tall blah, blah, blah. Ridiculous! On the credit card thing. . .I ordered a designer handbag a couple years ago the bag i rec'd was counterfeit! Not the bag pictured, was supposed to be leather and was plastic. I nicely contacted the owner of the store and she turned into woman beast! I then contacted my CC company and opened a dispute on the basis that the bag was not what I ordered (counterfeit). Stick to your guns! Let her open a dispute!

Elle

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:11pm
post #51 of 102

I know you did this all by email, but going forward (and when possible), what a great lesson to encourage all of us to have some dummies decorated and sitting around on display. I have 7-8 dummy cakes on display and I am able to point to any of them and say, "Your cake will be this size."

Even if they are not decorated, to be able to pull out some styro's and stack them up to show them an approximate size will be that nice touch of reality that some brides need these days.

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:24pm
post #52 of 102

What is wrong with people, they are always trying to get something for nothing. That lady knows she got what she paid for, but instead of being a women about it, she's trying to be a idoit! When you are in any service industry job, you are always always going to run across these kind of people. Unfortunetly you have to build a safety net into your service industry business to take care of those sort. You can believe the credit card company has seen her kind!

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #53 of 102

Well you do know what they say about the customer always being right Not in this case!
This is the exception to that rule. Sorry that this happened to you.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #54 of 102

Stand your ground...and don't doubt yourself for one more second!!!

Your cake is exquisite!

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:45pm
post #55 of 102

Additionally, she forgot to mention that not only is she a member of the "find-something-to-complain-about" club, she's also the president!

*Note to self - would not make a very good businesswoman due to telling off stupid customers. End note*

I would have laughed at her and asked if she was really serious. Your cake was amazing. They should have smashed some in HER face icon_twisted.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm
post #56 of 102

>..... I have been contemplating a new contract policy. "Regardless of who pays for the cake the bride has sole ability to make changes of any kind and is the customer we recognize."....... What is the general consensus, does anyone have similar in their contract? <

This is as far as I have gotten reading the replies. I had to say this is probably a good thing! Yes, we have msny different people pay for a bride's cake. Once I had a 'friend of bride' pay as her gift to bride. As I recall it was a teacher who promised if you stay in school I'll pay..... loooong story short, the cake fell and the MOB *demanded* I bring her *cash* before the reception was over. I did what I could to fix (5 tieres reduced to 3, but almost all cake was serveable) and returned the money to the lady who paid for it (& had signed the contract) - not the MOB.

Another time I had a MOB come back about an hour after she & B left; MOB insisted on adding another tier because B's choice wasn't grand enough! Yah, I was new and did it. We happened to have to go to the venue just as their reception was ending and guess what? That extra 16" tier was leftovericon_smile.gif
edited to add last paragraph.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:51pm
post #57 of 102

Whaaaat?? That's crazy! If she wanted a bigger cake, she should have ordered more cake! She can't just decide later that it wasnt what she wanted and then get her money back.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:53pm
post #58 of 102

I bet she wont even call the CC company. She was/is trying to scare you into a refund. Stand your ground.

BEAUTIFUL cake!!! thumbs_up.gif

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:56pm
post #59 of 102
Quote:

... Personally, I think she's fulla sh**. It's a beautiful cake. ... they didn't run out of cake, so she's gonna have a hard time explaining how it wasn't big enough.

Did they serve it? Was it eaten? Then they owe you for it. What was on the order forms that the bride approved via email? ... ONE person saying it was dry does not a valid money-back complaint make.

I agree. Stick to your guns, play nicely with the CC company, and you should be fine.

Too bad we're raising a society of mannerless clods!

Keep your chin up!

Odessa

FrostinGal Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:00am
post #60 of 102
Quote:

Serious question: When you make a tier 2" taller (i.e. it's now 6" tier instead of a 4" tier), how do you cut it for extra servings? I use the wilton cutting chart, so mine are 4" tall and 2x1" wide.....do you cut it 2x 1/2" wide instead? Doesnt' that make it difficult to handle and do the guests view it as "paper thin" instead of longer/taller?

Help me understand, please.

That's good question, Debi.
When pricing for height, rather than adding to the number of servings, I prefer to add to the price per serving for the additional cake up to 6". Over that, we are talking two tiers, same size, iced together, to achieve >6" tall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%