Criscoe Sticks

Decorating By mommymarilyn Updated 3 Aug 2005 , 12:47pm by Misdawn

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, I hope this is not a terribly stupid question - but here goes. I recently used Criscoe sticks (butter-flavor) for my buttercream for the first time. I actually liked the texture better than just regular Criscoe - might be my imagination though. I have used the same buttercream recipe for YEARS, so it didn't even dawn on me until this morning that I probably added 1 tsp. of butter flavoring, like I always have, and maybe didn't need to? Since it is butter-flavored Criscoe?

6 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 7

I am curious.. did it alter the color of your buttercream. I tried them once and my frosting was yellow looking. Light yellow.. but not white like usual.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 7

I make my buttercream the same way. It also looked a little ivory colored, so I just added some white-white food coloring and it was perfect. I agree that it definitely seems smoother with the butter-flavor Crisco sticks. And they are so much easier to measure with.

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, it was a little off white, but it was ok for the cake that I was decorating. I'm just not sure if it's necessary to still add butter flavoring, I'm thinking that it wasn't necessary. What do you all think?

Misdawn Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 7

I didn't add any butter flavoring and it tasted just fine.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 7

How was it to decorate with??? Like roses etc..... and did it crust?
cakegal

Misdawn Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 7

I add merengue powder to mine, so it crusted just like always.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%