Love Cute Tiered Party Cakes--But Nobody Ever Orders Tiered!

Business By elvis Updated 1 Oct 2007 , 2:22am by MBoyd

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:50am
post #1 of 15

I wish I had more tiered party cake orders. Nobody ever orders these... and I think they are so much fun to do! I'm talking the smaller scale, fun birthday and shower cakes, etc. I guess its b/c of the added expense.

For those that get a lot of these kind of orders...do you always offer them when talking to a customer? Or do they call with a tiered cake in mind. Just wondering....

14 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:03am
post #2 of 15

I tend to do them when the customer lets me have free reign over the design. They just give me a theme. Also, my cost for a 4" tall cake is the same per serving whether it is one layer or 4 layers, so there is no additional expense and they are more willing to go this route.

Most people don't think of them b/c they are zoned in on sheetcakes... we need to work on opening their options.

squarepair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squarepair Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:03am
post #3 of 15

All of a sudden I am getting lots of request for tiered party cakes. They have usually called with it in mind, but if they are wanting to feed a lot of people I will suggest it. I have 2 first birthday cakes coming up that are three tiers. And I thought I spoiled my kids!!

Kristin

girlonthemountain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girlonthemountain Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:16am
post #4 of 15

i'm no pro for sure but i read here somewhere that at least one lady doesnt even offer sheet cakes only tieried.
But how that would effect your business ??
girlonthemountain

elvis Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:33am
post #5 of 15

Thanks for your replies-- I guess I'm just getting tired of doing sheet cakes when there are so many fun options out there to try! I think I'll have to start reminding people of the tiered option--I think some people just are so used to saying sheet cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:34am
post #6 of 15

We don't do sheet cakes and I have all of the business I can handle. The answer is simple. " I am happy to make you cake for 60 people, but we don't offer sheet cakes. an I email you a couple of pictures that would feed 60 so you can see how we would handle it ?"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:27am
post #7 of 15

My biz is 99% weddings and I don't do sheet cakes for weddings simply because I charge the same for wedding sheets as I do for wedding tiers, so it's not cheaper for them to get sheets. Plus it's more work for me to do a small wedding cake and a sheet as opposed to just doing one big tiered.

For example: Bride is expecting 150 guests. She wants a tiered for 100 and a sheet for 50.

I could make a 16/12/8 that serves 150.

But she wants me to bake a 14/10/6 PLUS a sheet cake, so I've now got longer oven time. It takes no more time to ice/decorate a 16/12/8 than it does to do a 14/10/6, so since I have a sheet cake to do, I now have more icing/decorating time.

And that's suppose to be cheaper for her WHY?????? icon_confused.gif

Not me, man!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:36am
post #8 of 15

I hate doing sheet cakes, so I aways try to steer them in that direction. Once they see what can be done they always want the tiered cakes, they just seem much more special, with bows and fondant designs. And they don't complain about the cost as much, sheet cakes they can buy at walmart, but the added details on my tiered cake just seems more special.

elvis Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:49am
post #9 of 15

I see what you mean indydebi. I wouldn't want to do tiered to pair with a sheet. But I don't do weddings anyway. I price by cake rather than slice..and so for me, making 2 smooth, nice cakes to stack and dowel should cost more than a sheet cake that I can pretty much decorate with my eyes closed (well, except maybe the writing part) That's why I don't have equal pricing across the board, although I've thought about it in the past.

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:00am
post #10 of 15

I agree that most people are just used to sheet cakes as opposed to tiered cakes. It gets awfully boring....yaaawwwnnn! I try to sway them into tiered or stacked but I think a lot of times they're itimidated by them too, not knowing how to cut them and all. All we can do is try.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:22am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriasCakes

but I think a lot of times they're itimidated by them too, not knowing how to cut them and all. All we can do is try.

I think so, too. It's part of why I put the pics of how to cut a (round) cake on my website. Feel free to direct your customers to this page to help them understand how to cut a round cake ... it may help switch them from sheets to rounds! thumbs_up.gif

http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 10:04pm
post #12 of 15

I felt the same way this time last fall. All sheet cakes and only a tiered here and there. Now, I'd say that 95% of my cakes are tiered. As more and more people talk about the unique and creative cakes that you do (after only knowing grocery store cakes and their cookie cutter styles), you'll be amazed at how quickly people are coming from the woodwork for a tiered cake. I found that so many people didn't even think of tiered cakes except for weddings. It's true that tiered gives you a lot more creative lee-way, but I've seen some icon_surprised.gif OUTSTANDING icon_surprised.gif sheet cakes right here. (With my head bowed in homage), I basically have every cake that Cakery has ever posted in my favorites. icon_lol.gif

Like Indydebi *THE reason my business is booming!* LOL... also mentioned, include a free cutting guide with the tiered cakes that you do send out. People will also talk about how easy you made it to simplify cutting the larger cakes.

Good luck!!!
Amy

elvis Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks everybody for your advice!-- Maybe I'll just do some practice tiered ones for the purpose of taking a picture and posting to my website....to give people ideas. You're right cakesbyamym...I've seen some really cute sheet cakes too-- I'm just ready for something different I guess!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 10:26pm
post #14 of 15

Indydebi -

I love your philosophy concerning sheet cakes, and agree wholeheartedly. They are just as much work, therefore, should be charged for accordingly.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:22am
post #15 of 15

I'm one of those who has come right out and said, "I don't do sheet cakes". However, I'm doing my first one next week, because the client has specifically requested a gumpaste spray of fall leaves on it.

I take a rather artistic approach (as I'm sure a lot of you do too). I think it boils down to making a decision about the product you provide. For me, my product is creatively driven, and sheet cakes don't usually fall into that category. I have a friend who runs a traditional bakery and she does a very high volume, and she does tons and tons of sheet cakes. But she doesn't charge as much as I do either.

I absolutely hate it when someone tells me that they want a sheet cake. Not only can they go to any grocery store and get one, but obviously, they don't really understand what I do....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%