A Few Questions About Chocolate Stuff

Decorating By MissNeishaGyrl Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 10:01pm by froufroucakes

MissNeishaGyrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissNeishaGyrl Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 5

1. Can I just use my same icing recipe and add melted chocolate to make chocolate butter cream?

2. If I am making two 9 inch circles, how many cups of batter should I need to make the cake rise above the pan so I can use the pan as a leveler?

3. Can I make cake balls using Chocolate chips melted? Do I have to Temper?

4. Is Ganache hard to make

5. What fruit or filling would be good with a yellow cake with chocolate buttercream frosting?

4 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:20am
post #2 of 5

1. yes, if you want. Another method would be to use cocoa powder with your recipe (that's what I do).

2. It depends on what recipe you're using and who you talk to. I normally use 1 undocotored mix in an 8" and would probably do the same in one that's just an inch bigger. If you look at the middle section on a wilton yearbook it will tell you how many cups each pan takes, I over fill mine a little.

3. If you're talking about dipping with the chips then yes you need to temper.

4. Ganache is very simple, all you do is put very hot cream in with chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted. If you want it whipped you can beat it once it's cool.

5. That's a little subjective, I'd personally use a raspberry or strawberry with chocolate.

MissNeishaGyrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissNeishaGyrl Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:46am
post #3 of 5

Do you think there is a difference in quality between melted chocolate and cocoa powder? And is there any way to tempur without a thermometer? I know I am asking a lot of questions but my bro asked for a cake tomorrow for his bday.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:33am
post #4 of 5

The difference shouldn't be that much. I sometimes put a higher ratio of butter to shortening in my chocolate icing to make it richer, if you are worried about it make it with the melted chocolate. I forgot that with the cocoa powder you would take out a small amount of powdered sugar (the amount of cocoa you put in).

For tempering it's possible to do it without a thermometer but if you aren't familiar with it than I wouldn't recommend it. If you want something that tastes better than almond bark/candy melts but is easier to handle try mixing chips and bark together. I've done that several times and you get a better taste without needing to temper.

froufroucakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froufroucakes Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNeishaGyrl

Do you think there is a difference in quality between melted chocolate and cocoa powder? .

I find a major difference between the 2. The melted chocolate is MUCH, MUCH richer and better-tasting than the cocoa powder.... just my opinion. I use semi-sweet baking chocolate squares even though they call for unsweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%