Topsy-Turvy And Baby Cakes

Decorating By mamacc Updated 5 Dec 2006 , 11:16pm by DesignsbyVanessa

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:37am
post #1 of 17

Here's a couple of my recent cakes. This is the third 3D baby cake that I've done. I had fun making this one...except that I was up till 5:00 a.m. working on it. I think that might be a new record for me, LOL. This cake had a ton of fondant on it!!! I've tried to keep the babies cute/cartoony instead of realistic.

The topsy turvy cake was for a small music get together-my first TT! Thanks to Antonia74 for pointing me in the right direction- to the tutorial here on CC. Also, thanks to everyone who helped me decide on colors for this cake. I found it pretty easy to make except that the white almond sour cream cake was too soft for that shape with fondant. My cake started sagging a bit but I covered it up with more stuff! icon_biggrin.gif I was a little worried for a while, but things came together at the end. I think it would be easier to get "sharp" edges with buttercream. I think I will either use BC next time for the base, or else do a tilted cake design like Collette uses.

Courtney
LL
LL

16 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:53am
post #2 of 17

Darling Baby cake, usually those fondant babies look ugly to me, this one is very sweet. And it has a personality.

Your whimsy cake is great, has the WOW factor going for it.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 1:55am
post #3 of 17

SO Cute! The baby is such a neat design!

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:01am
post #4 of 17

I love the baby! So cute!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:02am
post #5 of 17

That baby cake is soooo cute! Good job on the topsy turvy cake too! On the baby cake...the head is the ball pan, right? And what is the....bottom? A bowl? But it doesn't seem quite the right shape for a bowl...

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:55am
post #6 of 17

Your cakes are gourgeous (sp?)!!!!

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 17

LOVE THEM!!!! I'm still working on making the "people" out of fondant. Maybe one day, mine will look as good as yours do. icon_biggrin.gif

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 17

Your cakes are BEAUTIFUL! Love the topsy turvy!!

mamacc Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 1:44am
post #9 of 17

thanks everyone!! icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

That baby cake is soooo cute! Good job on the topsy turvy cake too! On the baby cake...the head is the ball pan, right? And what is the....bottom? A bowl? But it doesn't seem quite the right shape for a bowl...

I used the ball pan for the head and and a wondermold for the bottom. The wondermold cake was baked a little bit short and I put it on top of a 7 in, then carved a little. Plus, there is a cake on it's side in between the ball and the bottom, carved. I tried using cake "spackle" to make the seam seamless between the cakes so it wouldn't show through the fondant.

Courtney

debdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debdiva Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:07am
post #10 of 17

Both your cakes are really wow!
I have not used fondant yet, but looking at your baby, is really encouraging me to explore fondant.
i have a question on the topsy turvy cake. . . how did you make the gold icing? Is there a special pans to use for this cake that I can buy?
I love the red as well. . . .I've heard that if you put a lot of red in the frosting or icing, that is can make it a bit bitter. Is this true?

In awe. . .
Deb

mamacc Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 1:34pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

have a question on the topsy turvy cake. . . how did you make the gold icing? Is there a special pans to use for this cake that I can buy?
I love the red as well. . . .I've heard that if you put a lot of red in the frosting or icing, that is can make it a bit bitter. Is this true?

Hi Deb! Thanks for your nice comments. The gold is painted on to white fondant with gold luster dust. I mix the luster dust with vodka to make the "paint". You can also use everclear or extracts with a high alcohol content. Nope, no special cake pans. I followed the tutorial here on cake central. Just make sure you are using a firm cake if you cover this with fondant.
http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

I guess red can taste a little bitter. I actually used up every last bit of red for the cake. I almost didn't have enough, LOL! I use a combination of reds, americolor super red and no-taste red. This seems to help achieve a nice red and it doesn't get too bitter.

Good luck!
Courtney[/list]

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 12:04am
post #12 of 17

I love the baby, just put it in my favs. The topsy turvy cake is great, too. I'm making my first topsy turvy cake this weekend, also asked Antonia74 for help, she's the greatest!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 12:24am
post #13 of 17

your baby is just darling and I adore the red topsy turvey cake..wonderful work!!!

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 9:35pm
post #14 of 17

Your cake are great! I love the baby...cute!

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 9:42pm
post #15 of 17

You just gave me the idea for a baby shower cake. Thanks for sharing

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 9:46pm
post #16 of 17

You're baby cake is too cute and I just can't get over your topsy turvy cake. I really love the colors you chose

DesignsbyVanessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyVanessa Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 11:16pm
post #17 of 17

All I can say is "awesome cakes" I love the baby one... I stored it as one of my favs and hopefully in the near future I can try this idea.... that's for the inspiration

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%