Wedding Supplies

Decorating By lori83179 Updated 2 Aug 2005 , 2:04pm by cakegal

lori83179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lori83179 Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 13

For those of you that make wedding cakes, do you ask the bride for the "supplies" back? Like the wedding cake stand, pillars, cake boards,etc...?

12 replies
llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 13

Yep--absolutely! I actually make a list of they items I expect back. If it is a gig for the "general public" (as opposed to a family/friend), I will charge a security deposit for all items.

I expect them washed and returned in satisfactory shape.

I never used to do this--but I ended up getting burned one too many times. Now I charge for everything!!

I was ticked this weekend because the caterer threw away my tulle under the cake!! ARGH!! Dorks!

Lisa

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 13

I always charge for all "non edible" components of a wedding cake. i.e.: plates, pillars, special bottom boards, table decorations etc. I dont have to worry about them this way. If I am using a stand.. I take a deposit equal to the replacement cost of the stand, when the stand is returned the deposit is given back.

lori83179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lori83179 Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you for the replies!!

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 13

Absolutely!!! Acutally they rent them from me, and they have to pay a deposit for the amount it would cost to replace the stand in case it is not returned or is damaged.

When I deliver the cake a list of items that need to be returned is given to whoever is in charge, with the returned by date highlighted. If they are not returned by that date the deposit is not refunded.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 13

Shoot Yeah Get them back. They cost too much and some of them are not replaceable any more. Wilton has stopped making ALOT of stuff that we Love.. Dern them!
I too make a complete list down to the number of scrolls and size pillars & how many of each I used. & I also expect them to be washed and returned by a certain date.
~Sweet~ =0)

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 13

yes you def. need to charge for everything. it costs to much to go out and replace everything. icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:46am
post #8 of 13

I do get all that back because I go to the where the reception is held right around 2 hours after the wedding. I just collect all my stuff in a bag & bring them home all safe & sound~ That way nothing walks away~ icon_smile.gif

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:49am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I do get all that back because I go to the where the reception is held right around 2 hours after the wedding. I just collect all my stuff in a bag & bring them home all safe & sound~ That way nothing walks away~ icon_smile.gif

As usual, another great idea from Turtle!! lol!! I'm going to ponder on that and maybe give it a try.

Lisa

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:58am
post #10 of 13

allow me to throw in my experience as a banquet waitress from when I was in school-the cake was always brought into the kitchen to be cut and there usually was a box designated for the cake stand materials-we usually had the dishwasher rinse them first and then put them in the box. The staff at the hotel/banquet facility should be experienced enough as well to know you will want them returned, its common.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 5:55am
post #11 of 13

Yeah you would think they would be experienced enought to know this.
I recently did a cake and the Country Club's wait staff either took my stand home or threw it away. I did get the silver plateau back, thank goodness. But the plate and pillars were not returned.. I am writing a letter to the Club managment about it. I will have other weddings there I am sure in the future and I don't want this to happen again. The Mother of the bride had to forfeit the security deposit, so I wasn't out any money, but it is just a hassle to have to order another stand.

Even though the wait staff was serving the cake... The Mother of the bride, the person actually incharge at the reception, was given a list of things to be returned when the cake was delivered. She should have gone over or had her helper go over the list with the wait staff before the reception started.... So ultimately it is her responsibility... But I am still writing the Country Club management a note of complaint and hoping for an assurance that this will not happen again.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 7:03am
post #12 of 13

Lisa, your so funny!! icon_lol.gif Ponder away girl, ponder icon_wink.gif

Someone several weeks ago made a post about the cousin of the bride bringing the supplies back to her house & just dumping them on the front porch. That's awful!! thumbsdown.gif So my stuff doesn't go missing or gets broken I feel it's more my responsibility then the customers because they have too much to do already. I just go get my stuff & it makes everyone happy~ Especially me! icon_rolleyes.gif If I had a large business then I would charge a security fee because I wouldn't be able to go get the supplies. But for now I'm responisible for my stuff. Now if they some how break something during the wedding you can bet their going to pay for it! thumbs_up.gif

Just my 2 cents, icon_biggrin.gif

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:04pm
post #13 of 13

Well, the wedding i'm doing next week, we are doing the photography also....so I'll be right there to get my supplies before i leave...
The stuff is too expensive and they should realize this...
I'll probably end up doing the cutting and serving of the cake too...don't know yet...probably won't know til that very moment...
My bride came yesterday afternoon and paid me for everything in full..woooooohoooooo....
cakegal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%