How Do I Split/torte A Character Cake?

Decorating By buckleyje Updated 3 Dec 2006 , 4:53pm by buckleyje

buckleyje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buckleyje Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:21am
post #1 of 7

I used the Wilton Precious Pony pan (circa 1986) and I have no idea how to split the cake to fill it! The cake has varying heights (the outer portion of the tail and the front leg are only .8" thick whereas the rest of the cake is about 2" thick). Has anyone split one of these before? Or should I just bake another one and shave the top (3D) off and put that underneath it!?

6 replies
mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:26am
post #2 of 7

I wouldn't try it...but that's just me.

If a part of the cake is only .8 inch thick...I think it would be too hard to try.

I would bake another cake like you said...............................good luck! Let us know what you did!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:40am
post #3 of 7

I've done it. You just have to make sure you use enough batter so that the cake doesn't come out too thin and then just torte it as you normally would. I did that with my Teddy Bear and Mermaid cakes in my photos.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:51am
post #4 of 7

I've done it before. I have one those Agape kniefs so it's pretty easy to get really thin slices. If I didn't have that then I would just tort it in half. That way it should be ok.

If you have one part that is really thin then just use that in one layer. No need to make sure the whole thing is torted.

buckleyje Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:53am
post #5 of 7

So I ended up just baking another cake and slicing the top 3/4 inch off and then putting the original cake on top of that. There's just no way I could have split the dimensional cake and have it turn out.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 5:32am
post #6 of 7

Sorry you had to bake another one, but at least you got it done. Be sure to post a photo of it so we can see how it turned out. icon_smile.gif

buckleyje Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%