Rice Krispies Molded Into Shaped Cakes?

Decorating By sweetchef Updated 2 Dec 2006 , 9:03pm by RisqueBusiness

sweetchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchef Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 9

I saw pictures of Spiderman cakes, etc in the galleries with heads molded from Rice Krispies treats. Can anyone explain to me how you mold them into shapes. Do you have to bake them in a shaped pan, or can you mold them into any shape when the treats are warm?

8 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:14am
post #2 of 9

I think alot of the bust cakes are done with a fake head but I have molded with rice krispies (tooth cake in my pics) and you have to let them cool a bit. If they are too warm, they just fall apart. After I got it molded I used candy melts as mortar to keep everything together. I also find if you cover the entire thing in candy melts and smooth it after it dries a bit then you can cover with bc and fondant and get a smoother appearance(I figured this out after I made the tooth). icon_smile.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:21am
post #3 of 9

I used Rice Krispie treats (the pre-made kind) to mold the controller in my xbox cake (see photos). They were at room temperature. Super easy to do.

sweetchef Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:39am
post #4 of 9

So you make the mixture, bake it in a rectangular pan (like you're going to make treats), then pull it out, cool it a little, and mold?? Am I getting this right?

I'm trying to make a Spiderman bust for a client. It's going to be sheet cake for shoulders and a choice between Rice Krispies head or maybe Wilton 3-D Football shaped head...I'm still designing it. But I don't want to promise it until I'm sure I understand how to do it.

Dodibug...I'm not understanding how you used the candy melts.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 6:22am
post #5 of 9

I've never baked rktreats-just melt the butter, marshmallows and mix in rk.

Basically I put them in the pan, let them cool and then started molding/building up the tooth.

I had areas of the tooth that just wouldn't stay together so I used warm (not hot) candy melts and squirted it in the areas that wouldn't stay together and then squished it together until the melts cooled and the rktreats stayed where I wanted them!

Then you can cover the whole thing in a layer of melted candy melts, let it cool and then using your hands smooth the surface otherwise you can see all the bumps from the rktreats.

You may want to pm MrsMissey. I think she has done several bust type cakes and can give you some 1st hand advice!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 7:48am
post #6 of 9

this is how i make my rice crispy treats.
The problem is that i cann't give you exact measurements because i never measyure when i do it.
melt in the pot low heat approx 100g of butter. ( unsalted)
add 5 or six big marsbars ( cut them into small pieces)
with a whisk or wooden spoon stir constantly til it is all melted and is stirred together. it is all smooth creamy looking. turn the cooker off. Now add rice crispies. and mix all together add a little at the time til you see that crispies are all covered and not too much mars melt left. don't add too much crispies but not too little either.

let it sit for few minutes. because it will be too hot for your hands to work with it but don't let it cool down because you cann't shape them if they are cold.

You can shape anything out of them and to get a smooth outside you could cover it with ganache if you want to.

i made my boys birthday cake using this for the towers

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-12868.html

but most of the time people order them as little balls ( like cakeballs you make) they taste great like toffee crisps. nobody will think that you used mars bars to do it

i have aslo made them like cookies on the stick.

sweetchef Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 9

If you cover the Rice Krispies in fondant, do you need to ice it first like a cake? Seems like it would be sticky and hard to ice.

Some people also used a wig head for the bust shape. Where do you get one, and what's the price? I have a retail bakery, so do you think its bad to not have it all edible?

sweetchef Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 9

How do you attach the Rice Krispies molded piece to the rest of the cake--wooden dowels?

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liis

this is how i make my rice crispy treats.
The problem is that i cann't give you exact measurements because i never measyure when i do it.
melt in the pot low heat approx 100g of butter. ( unsalted)
add 5 or six big marsbars ( cut them into small pieces)
with a whisk or wooden spoon stir constantly til it is all melted and is stirred together. it is all smooth creamy looking. turn the cooker off. Now add rice crispies. and mix all together add a little at the time til you see that crispies are all covered and not too much mars melt left. don't add too much crispies but not too little either.

let it sit for few minutes. because it will be too hot for your hands to work with it but don't let it cool down because you cann't shape them if they are cold.

You can shape anything out of them and to get a smooth outside you could cover it with ganache if you want to.

i made my boys birthday cake using this for the towers

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=Liis&cat=0&pos=104

but most of the time people order them as little balls ( like cakeballs you make) they taste great like toffee crisps. nobody will think that you used mars bars to do it

i have aslo made them like cookies on the stick.

Liis as cookie treats on a stick and then dipped or covered with candy melts and decorated was how I learned to make them!

Great for Class ..( my kids were good for last minute things...! at 6 am when I would wake them up they would tell me..oh mom..you have to be in class today at noon with 40 cupcakes..!!!!! icon_surprised.gif well of course if I did one classroom I had to do the other one...so that was 80 in total! lol)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%