How Do You Price Decorated Cookies?

Baking By dandelion56602 Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 5:58pm by CakeDiva73

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:29am
post #31 of 39

Crazy4Sugar, you are right, the only "profit" I do make is about double my ingredients, which is really not enough I agree. But remember, in my state it is illegal to bake/sell from the home kitchen, so I keep what I charge down a bit. Cookies are always tough for me to price (my cake price has gone up however) for some reason, but from what I see on websites I could charge alot more and still be less than the professional cookie makers - will be rethinking this!

Deb
icon_redface.gif

mmkwynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmkwynne Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:08pm
post #32 of 39

Deb - ditto on the state rules. I just made my first NFSC cookies and decorated them (I'll try to get pics posted). I took them into the office and sold them for $2.00 a cookies (4 inch cookies) and they sold out in an hour! I was doing this as a fund raiser for my fave charity and now know that I probably could have gone $3 OR $4 each and they still would have sold. Lessons learned! If I get any orders out of it, I'll probably go up to $3 each and explain that I wasn't trying to make a profit for myself the last time... icon_cool.gif

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:06pm
post #33 of 39

Deb, I understand your concern; I bake from home too. Nevertheless, I don't see how charging too little money for my work will keep me from getting noticed. Are you thinking that a "legal" baker won't turn you in if you're not making a profit? He/she may be more intent of getting rid of you if you undercut his reasonable prices!

In short, my thinking is that if someone's going to turn me in, or I just get noticed by someone official along the way, it won't save me that I charged less or more than the next gal. If it's just for fun, then don't charge more than ingredients; if it's a business, then charge business prices and don't be ashamed of making a profit by producing a quality product that makes people happy.

Dandelion, I used yellow, orange, brown for base colors. I used the same colors and a bit of dark red for accents. Just lay your base color and dot in the others, then swirl away!

Fun and yummy.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:13pm
post #34 of 39

Just got back from a short vacation & am going to bake some cookie w/ my daughter tonight. If they are cute I'll post some pics. Thanks crazy4sugar for your tip!

halfbaked101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halfbaked101 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:49pm
post #35 of 39

when i finally thought i was good enough i marched myself online to other comprable work and sold them at that price i sell 2 dollers less to the shops that sell them for me and they are very happy with a 2 doller mark up.i sell them from 4 to 12 dollars each. denise icon_biggrin.gif

MomLittr Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:18pm
post #36 of 39

Well I am going to "test the waters" of pricing my cookies appropriately. I found the mummy cookie design on Wilton that would be quick and easy. The cookie cutter measures 3.5" each way. Being these will be individually wrapped, I will offer them for $3.50 each............if no one bites (for lack of a better word) at this price, well then I won't bother making them. I will also offer the chocolate covered pretzels and the 3-candycovered marshmallow on a stick, all for $1 each. Heck if they would rather spend $1 instead of $3.50 on a holloween treat, all the easier for me. I also will offer chocolate covered sandwich cookies (oreos) for 75 cents each (50 cents seems too little but $1 seems too much). Heck I raised my cake prices, why not the treats too! I mostly only sell to co-workers and close friends anyway.

deb

MomLittr Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:17pm
post #37 of 39

Quick update on my cookie pricing testing...................today started offering the "mummy" cookies for $3.50 each (individually wrapped), going with the $1 per inch, and they are 3.5 inches tall and wide. I bet if the cookies were priced at $2.50 each they might have sold. So far no one asked, however they are taking me up on the 6 for $5 chocolate covered pretzels. That's ok with me, the pretzels are easier to do!

deb

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:55pm
post #38 of 39

The cookies my dd & I made this weekend. The dough spread so I had to flatten out the RBC a bit, but they tasted good anyway & I'm not a sugar cookie fan!
LL

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:58pm
post #39 of 39

I struggle with this too....people have no grasp of the time and energy that goes into decorated cookies so they balk at paying 2-3 dollars for ONE cookie. My husband works at a big plant with a bunch of guys and had an idea that I could make little bags of cookies and sell them to the guys there - he was thinking if I did decorated ones for Halloween or whatever, maybe they would want to pick one up for their kids or something....problem was, he was thinking I would be selling 3" decorated, wrapped MMF cookies for $1!! icon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

I told him, thank you but no friggin' way!! We came to a bit of a compromise - I will make decorated 2.5" cookies and sell them bagged for $2 and then also sell 2 big fat regular cookies for $1 ( like chocolate chip, oatmeal, that sort of thing...) and we can go from there. He also suggested I make a cookie bouquet with some prices because they might want those or the company might want them for corporate gift-giving - which is all well and good but it's hard to price your stuff so your competitive but not giving it away.

I was concerned he would feel funny basically being the one charging that much for one cookie - I told him if he would be embarassed then don't do it. Hate to pass up a great opportunity but If I am spending hours upon hours sweating in the kitchen for $2 an hour after cost, what is the bloody point?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%