Gumpaste Vs. Fondant Purse "handle" Help Needed

Decorating By Joanne914 Updated 29 Sep 2007 , 2:03pm by 1nanette

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a purse cake for next weekend, and the handle for the purse is
twisted "rope." I've only made the cake once before, and I did use fondant,
but because I did not allow the handle to dry for a long period of time, it cracked and broke right after I put it on. (the purse became a make up bag!)
I have an order for the exact same cake, and this time I want to get the handle right! If I use fondant again, and allow it to dry for x amount of days (and exactly how many days would that be???) will it dry completely and not crack apart by next Saturday? OR should I use gumpaste to make the handle? I've never used gumpaste before, but know that it does dry hard. So...CC'ers....any insight you can give me here on purse "handle" construction, will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

7 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 8

you can add some tylose to your fondant and that will speed up drying

Joanne914 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 8

awesome...tylose powder...sounds great! How long do you think it would take
for the handle to dry "hard" with the powder added to the fondant? I guess I'm wondering if I make the handle today...will it be ok for adding to the purse next Saturday?

Joanne914 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 8

Hmmmm...another poster before mine was looking for help in drying fondant
Mickey Mouse ears as quickly as possible. Another member suggested adding
GUMTEX to the fondant, and said it would dry overnight. ???? What's the difference between GUMTEX and TYLOSE POWDER, and which should I add to my fondant for the handle? (really confused now!)

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 8

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/extrafirmfondant.cfm
Above is the extra firm fondant recipe from Wilton (if it's not being eaten, you can use that nasty stuff if you want!)

Not for sure about the exact difference but Tylose is a type of "gum" that is used in making gumpaste, it's also one of the cheapest, and Nicholas Lodge uses it in his gumpaste recipe

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 8

I would use at least 50/50 fondant/gumpaste and make it now...as it will be a bit thicker and you need it to dry all the way through....and don't fiddle with it whilst its drying......it will crack....I have learnt this the hard way......more times than I care to admit to icon_lol.gif

Joanne914 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 8

vdrsolo and torki....Thanks sooo very much...I'm off to the cake supply store today, and I will get the Gum Tex and give it a try! I really appreciate your help! CC members are the best! icon_smile.gif

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 8

Joanne914--Just in case you dont find the gumtex. You can always put your gumpaste decorations in the oven set at 170 degrees for an hour or so depending on the thickness of your piece. Be sure to place it on a cardboard dusted well with cornstarch. Or you can use a food dehydrator.

You are my neighbor. Im in northwest Detroit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%