Now I Want To Quit. Seriously.

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 8:53am by CoutureCake

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 4:49am
post #1 of 31

So last week, I had the tramatic event of a cake falling over in the car.
THIS week, I only took one cake. It was a Little Mermaid cake, and I was proud of it, and thought I did a good job. Here it is:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1088383&done=1

The lady picked it up tonight at NINE thirty! Told me it was cute, blah blah blah. Then I get this email:

Summer,
I am disappointed in the appearance of the cake. The top layer is lop-sided and has holes where it looks like a figurine was moved. Also, I wanted Alexandra's name on the cake or cake board--that was my understanding. It's not acceptable to tell me when I arrive that you were unable to put her name on there.

I understand about the name on the board, my mistake, but I TOLD her when she was here, and she was like "Oh! That's OK!" But, I wrote her, said I was sorry. But the other stuff, sorry, but you approved it and I am not responsible for what happens after you take it. If it gets damaged in the car when you take it, it's not my problem. (But nicer than that). I even attached a photo to show her what it looked like this afternoon before she picked it up. Not lopsided. No holes.

Seriously, after last week, I just want to quit. I am about 2 seconds away from calling everyone for next week and cancelling. 2 bad weeks in a row!

30 replies
AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:04am
post #2 of 31

I am not even selling cakes and feel ya tonight! I have about 20 gumpaste flowers that have fallen off my cake! I understand you frustration! If she wasn't pleased she should have said so before she left! You know Summer, it's easy to be nasty and displeased via email. The internet gives people nerve they wouldn't have in person! Kepp your chin up and don't let it get you down! Your luck will turn!

Elle

AuntieElle Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:04am
post #3 of 31

Oh and I forgot...((((((((hug))))))))

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:18am
post #4 of 31

I totally feel your frustration here. This type of issue is part of the reason why I got out of the business.

Allow me to be a bit of a counselor for a moment.

Women often have a tendency to get so emotionally wrapped up in things that things that really aren't too significant become magnified. You are a great decorator but have had two bad weeks. Suddenly, the two bad weeks become all you see.

Women also have a tendency to want to "fix" everything or make everyone feel "happy" or avoid confrontation.

You have to let go of wanting everyone to be happy with your work. Your cake was gorgeous. You know that. You certainly put a lot of hard work into it. (My guess is that the price paid for it is about 1/2 what it was worth.)

You can't make the lady be fair. You can't make her take a step back and think rationally. Chances are HER emotions are way too wrapped up in her daughter's party being "perfect."

It's kind of a weany thing to send an e-mail instead of call you but I have found that people who are unfairly irritated about things like this often don't have the gumption to face you or even talk to you on the phone. Chalk it up to their insecurities. I do suggest to return e-mails like that with a phone call (when you are calm enough to do so).

You are right to apologize for your part and show her grace, realizing that she will probably regret her attitude later.

As for you, try the old addage of "count your blessings." The more you focus on what is RIGHT this week, the easier the week will go!

Hope this helps,
~C

Pamela5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamela5 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:21am
post #5 of 31

Oh I am soooo sorry all this is coming at once. It is so frustrating to pour yourself into something and then its not appreciated. I don't blame you for wanting to quit. Please dont-- you are very talented and it would be a loss for that talent to go to waste. Maybe a few days off for a well deserved break and some sleeping in and pampering will make you feel better. ((((((you))))) thumbs_up.gif

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:41am
post #6 of 31

the cake falling in the car, accidents happen, now as far as the little mermaid goes--please don't let somebody having buyers remorse stop you from doing what you love -- unless you are just really ready to hang up the apron-- but don't let her win she is probably just suffering from high gas prices icon_wink.gif

summernoelle Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 31

So, after I responded last night, this is what she said today:

It was not possible to tell that the cake was lopsided when you handed it to me. There is no way that the cake could have become lopsided from the time I picked it up to the time I got home. The top layer is at an angle--lopsided may the incorrect term. It is not level. The bottom layer is level; however, the top layer is not. When I saw the cake, I thought there was a hole at on the top layer. The figurine did not move. The hole is 90 degrees to the right of the figurine. I did not put it there. There was no damage incurred from the time I picked it up to the time I arrived home. I am not asking for a refund for the cake board or questioning the finality of the sale. I am expressing my disappointment.

I wrote her back, nicely, and told her that if she noticed a flaw, she should have told me. But I also told her that buttercream is not perfect, and that if she wanted perfect, she should have chosen fondant.
As far as it being level, I told her that YES, it COULD settle in the car and move to an angle, if she held it at an angle, or placed it at an angle. Whatever. Some people are so stupid.
I was nicer than that, though. icon_smile.gif
I actually canceled 3 of my 4 cakes next week. I need a break!!!!!!

frankandcathy Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:58pm
post #8 of 31

Good for you for handling it with grace! (And giving yourself a break when needed!)

~C

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:07pm
post #9 of 31

You cake is beautiful, looks perfectly level to me.

((hug)) for you.

Hope this is a better week!

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 31

Your cakes are gorgeous! Please don't let this one person give you doubts. You are right, if she had insisted on perfect she should have asked for a styrofoam cake with fondant.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:16pm
post #11 of 31

Is this woman on crack? What is she talking about? The cake is not lopsided, unlevel, etc. The cake is beautiful. She's either on drugs or she's one of those people who find something wrong with everything to so she can get it free. You know like those people who complain at resturaunts to get a free meal? I have one of those in my family and they are not allowed to complain when we go out together.

I totally agree with frankandcathy. Don't let the bad experiences define who you are. I looked at your photos and you are truly talented. I think you're right to take a break and relax but don't let this stop you. Your talent should not go to waste.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:18pm
post #12 of 31

your cake is very cute,I don't see that there are holes or lopsided though.I am guessing it was after she had it.I am sure you made stable enough to travel so you shouldn't feel bad for what happens AFTER it leaves you.That is always one of my fears,after I leave something with happen with the cake,but my contracts state I am not responsable for what happens to the cake when I leave.If it looks good upon delivery,then it looks good!!Better luck to you with this weeks cakes.

summernoelle Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 31

Thanks.
I was working on the email when my husband came in and told me not to tapedshut.gif her off anymore by being so defensive. I defended myself last night, but to the most recent email I said (long sorry):

"I really hate that you are disappointed.

But, if we can stop talking business for a second...since it is your daughter's birthday, try to notice the beautiful things about the cake. Even if you hate it, there are still pretty things on there. Look at the hand painted pearls I made you. You didn't ask for those, but I did them because I thought they would be beautiful. And on the cake board, look at how I marbled the fondant so it would look like sea water mixed with sea foam. And, you got the Ariel figurines like you wanted, not a generic red headed mermaid that your daughter wouldn't recognize. All the colors together look like the ocean, with the sunset hues of the shells and starfish, and the pretty blue green color of the cake, and the ice blue of the waves. I know all you see are the flaws, but since it is my creation, I see all the things that I thought were special touches that you would like.

I didn't just slap this together in an afternoon-I actually thought out how the cake should come together, and how it should look. It's not my job now to convince you to like your cake, but, I'm sorry you were unhappy. And I stand by my design, because looking at the photos now, I still love it.

As far as the other issues, I don't want to make you angrier by reiterating what I said yesterday and by being defensive. If you want to discuss why the buttercream wasn't perfectly smooth, etc, we can do so at a later date, after your daughter's party.

I have no problem giving you a refund for the cake board, however, because it was my fault that her name wasn't on it. I did not calculate the correct sized cake board, because I am usually using 8 inch cakes, and this time it was a 9. I forgot to accommodate the fact that there would be 1 less inch on the board, and yesterday, when it was already covered in fondant and the cake was on it, I went ahead and wrote Happy 3rd Birthday on it. I didn't want to risk damaging the cake to move it to a larger board. Please let me refund this portion of your payment, since it was my error."

Does that sound OK? I think it might have been too soft, but at this point, I don't need her bad mouthing me and my cakes at her party. Which she most likely will anyway.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 2:32pm
post #14 of 31

I would not send that...it sounds a bit defensive and you are overexplaining your work. She isn't asking for her money back...she's expressing what she did not like about the cake. I realize your feelings may be hurt or it makes you frustrated to hear it, but it happens sometimes.
If you don't think the cake was unlevel when it left you, then just agree to disagree. If you think she will badmouth you, offer her a 10% discount on her next cake and try to smooth things over.

dupart30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dupart30 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 4:57pm
post #15 of 31

their are people in this world that are never satisfied. no matter what she would have found something wrong with the cake even if you had made it out of fondant.

I would not give her any money back and I would not send that email.

you made a beautiful cake, she was not happy... oh well life goes on she will just have to get over it.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:11pm
post #16 of 31

I would send her something like this:

I'm so sorry that you were not entirely happy with your cake. I would love to have the opportunity to make it up to you. If you would like to order another cake, I would be happy to discount the price by 20% (up to a total of $20). I do take pride in my work, and I appreciate your business.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm
post #17 of 31

I wouldn't have sent that one either. It's long winded and gives her more ammo to fire at you. You do not need to point out the things she didn't ask for. She is not uspet with that. She is upset with what you did not do, and I am willing to bet she writes back saying something to that effect. I am not saying that she is right, but this is how she will see it.. that you are trying to cover for what wasn't right in her eyes. It's long-winded and it does sound rather defensive.. eventhough you said you didn't want to get defensive. Telling her to focus on other things probably wasn't your best course of action. Simply saying that you are sorry that she was not satisfied with her cake and that you would like to refund her for the cake board since you did not put her daughter's name on it like you said you would would have been more than enough.

My advice?? Stop e-mailing her and call her. It is easier to ramble in an e-mail than it is to do in person or over the phone. Tell her you are sorry that you misjudged the cake board and tell her you would like to refund her money for it. She may refuse.. she may happily take it. I'd also appologize for the last e-mail. It was something written while you were still fuming from the whole ordeal and it was not appropriate to go on and on about all you did with the cake.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:36pm
post #18 of 31

I heartily agree w/BrandisBaked's suggested reply. Succinct, offers a discount on a SUBSEQUENT order and ends on an up note.
I also think it's a good thing if you want to take a break, to take it. Be good to yourself, so that upon your donning your apron next, you feel energized and ready to roll...your fondant! icon_smile.gif
Granted, I am about to finish my first year of starting to really make cakes for folks, but I have a lot of customer service experience from my day job. So I feel qualified to offer my .02. icon_eek.gif

I had my first cake disappointment this week icon_confused.gif - was going to be my first paid cake gig... Client from my non-cake-related day job saw the gumbo cake I did and told my friend, his co-worker via e-mail (that was forwarded to me) he HAD to have one by the end of the week, LOVED it and would pay "anything" for it. Well, I thought about it, considered that I would have to cancel any and all of my after day-job plans to make it happen, factored in supplies and labor (I essentially had 9 waking, non-day-job hours to really work with) and I was going to deliver it to his office Friday morning before I went to my job. I e-mailed him the price. He responded over two hours later..."sorry, too expensive"...and it wasn't even $100... I was a bit icon_mad.gif at first, but then also relieved, as I didn't have to kill my relaxing hours plans. I e-mailed him back and said I understand. But note that I use quality ingredients, all of the bits are handsculpted, handpainted and that there was going to be more detail than the one he saw, and with the expedited lead time considering this would be in my off hours, that is where the cost came in. (other folks I showed the cake to that loved it said they would easily pay more than what I told this fellow) I closed the brief message saying "Maybe another time?"
I have two cakes coming up that are going to be fun to do. I just need to get the paid gigs going...(at least family birthdays are over for the year...!)
sorry for the long response, my first post here! icon_smile.gif SummerNoelle, take care and we know you will be back and even better than ever. I need to go check out your LM cake pic - but I am totally sure it is beautiful. That lady was just overstressed for a 3 y.o.'s party. Criminy, she won't even remember it. (or the lady may be having other life issues that made you an easy target to vent on...) It wasn't your cake, I am sure of it.
Wendl

frankandcathy Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 7:15pm
post #19 of 31

I am in full agreement with the other ladies. Do not send an emotionally charged reply.

Remember...it's NOT your job to make this woman happy or think rationally about her cake.

Your job is to do your best. That's it.

You can offer her a discount on her next cake if you like. Keep it short and business-like.

And...let it go.

~C

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 7:54pm
post #20 of 31

Your cake was real cute and she should have looked it over and complained before she took it home. Any complaints she had when she got it home should have been made by phone not e mail. I agree with whoever said the internet gives people nerve they would not otherwise have. In my opinion there wouldn't be as many petty complaints and decorators feeling obliged to pacify their clients with discounts and/or refunds if there was better communication. I say if you receive an e mail complaint respond, if a response is necessary, by phone. It's more direct and you can avoid these long drawn out e mail whining sessions. The lady got a cute cake that just didn't have her child's name on it. Sorry if you miscalculated for the writing but you got H 3rd B-day on there and it looked great. As for the small hole on top, why in tarnation couldn't she smooth the icing over it and get a life? For all you know her kid might have lifted the figurine up and set it back just over a smidge. In the big picture how much does/should it matter? Maybe a smidge. Does it call for a refund or discount? I think not.

You cannot possibly please everyone in this world. You're losing the income from the cakes you just canceled because this tiny incident with the whiney woman pushed you over the edge. Certainly don't quit! After your short break, and do make it short please, come back with a less defensive attitude. It's much more fun and healthy way to live.

Take Care Too,
Carol

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #21 of 31

I'm sure the cake shifted in transport and she didn't realize it and thought she took it that way.

My bet... she hit the brakes harder than she should have a time or two on the way home. icon_lol.gif

It's an adorable cake by the way too.

summernoelle Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 10:25pm
post #22 of 31

Hello all,
Been gone all day at the State Fair, and I did NOT send the email. So don't worry!
But, being out of the house and away from her made me feel much much better.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 10:31pm
post #23 of 31

Why worry so much about it? It was a good cake. If she didn't like it, she can get her cake elsewhere next time. Would you really want to do another cake for her anyway? Be polite, but don't grovel and don't entertain her whining.

cozycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cozycake Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 10:54pm
post #24 of 31

I used to manage a Hallmark store. I discovered when it came to birthdays for small children-it was more about what the parents wanted not what the child liked. This parent has issues. Don't let her reactions control/influence how you feel about the great job you do. Think of all the good reactions, not her. Has she even mentioned the child's reactions to the cake. I am sure she loved it!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:34pm
post #25 of 31

A couple of weeks ago, I made a cake with a baseball and cap on it.... the part where the brim and the cap met was smudged.... I just couldn't get it right, and she was due any minute....... I showed it to the Mom, and expalined about the "smudge", and told her I would take something off the price. She looked at me like I was crazy....... she said "Mrs. Johnson, he is 8, he isn't going to be looking for an imperfection....... the cake is wonderful, and he is going to LOVE it !"
I guess my point is..... the birthday girl is 3 , she isn't going to care if her name was on it or not..... that cake is adorable and this Mother is just being unreasonable !

summernoelle Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:11am
post #26 of 31

Thanks everyone. I get very...emotional about my cakes. In case you couldn't tell. icon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gif This was my first complaint, so it was hard to swallow! And it caught me by suprise, because she was so excited last night when she picked it up. I told her about the cake board, and she didn't care at the time. She just thought it was cute, and when she left, my DH was with me, and even said "Wow! She really liked the cake!" So, when I got the email 30 minutes later, I was shocked.
I think I need to grow thicker skin. But, 2 weeks ago, I almost had a cake topple over, and then last week one did, and then this week, this lady was a psycho tapedshut.gif , along with the crap with the caterer from church who is selfish and won't share the kitchen. So I just didn't handle it in a good way.
But, amazing what a day at the Fair, a shower and a nap can do. I feel a million times better!
Next time, I'll be like Brandisbaked, who seems to be much stronger than me. icon_lol.gif

AuntieElle Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:16am
post #27 of 31

I'm glad you feel better! I know how you feel about complaints. I have gotten a couple as well and my cakes were free (not enough icing, color wasn't right. Who complains about free cakes???) It is hard to swallow from time to time but in this world you have to have some pretty thick skin. Just let it roll off. Continue to be proud of your cake! Don't let this kind of stuff rent space in your head!

Elle

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:45am
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankandcathy

I totally feel your frustration here. This type of issue is part of the reason why I got out of the business.

Allow me to be a bit of a counselor for a moment.

Women often have a tendency to get so emotionally wrapped up in things that things that really aren't too significant become magnified. You are a great decorator but have had two bad weeks. Suddenly, the two bad weeks become all you see.

Women also have a tendency to want to "fix" everything or make everyone feel "happy" or avoid confrontation.

You have to let go of wanting everyone to be happy with your work. Your cake was gorgeous. You know that. You certainly put a lot of hard work into it. (My guess is that the price paid for it is about 1/2 what it was worth.)

You can't make the lady be fair. You can't make her take a step back and think rationally. Chances are HER emotions are way too wrapped up in her daughter's party being "perfect."

It's kind of a weany thing to send an e-mail instead of call you but I have found that people who are unfairly irritated about things like this often don't have the gumption to face you or even talk to you on the phone. Chalk it up to their insecurities. I do suggest to return e-mails like that with a phone call (when you are calm enough to do so).

You are right to apologize for your part and show her grace, realizing that she will probably regret her attitude later.

YES! I wholeheartedly agree.

I realize this might not help you - but for anything other than a simple sheet cake, I NEVER have customers pick up from me. I always deliver. I had a customer ONE TIME pick up a cake from me, and then messed with it after she got it home and tried to blame me. Of course, someone I knew attended the party and got a photo of the cake prior to it being messed with, so I had to confront her on it and she backed down.

I think if you offer her a discount on a future order, that would be sufficient.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:09am
post #29 of 31

Glad to hear you didn't send that e-mail. I get very emotional when people don't approve of what I do.. and not with just cakes. It's easy to go on the defensive. I do exactly what you did.. step away for a while and come back with a clearer head.

Don't let the little things discourage you. You are going to have people who complain.. sometimes about nothing at all. Just keep your head up and know you do a great job.. ((hugs))

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:35am
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

As far as it being level, I told her that YES, it COULD settle in the car and move to an angle, if she held it at an angle, or placed it at an angle. Whatever. Some people are so stupid.

I have yet to see a car on the road today whose seats are perfectly flat and level. And I'd bet she didn't put it on the floor. tisk tisk.

My mom has a saying - "Don't let the turkeys get you down." This customer is a turkey. Luckily, Thanksgiving is less than 8 weeks away. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%