Christmas Ornaments Explained

Decorating By cocorum21 Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm by colocha

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 75

Ladivacrj just posted directions but since I took all these photos I'm posting too. I did mine a little different so there is no need to warm the two sides on anything. Just one complete ball. If you want to fill with something I would do two layers add your (fill in the blank) and then add the chocolate just around the edges to get a complete ball. But it mightbe easier to fill doing it the way that Ladivacrj suggested by doing two halves.

Here are the step by step instructions on how I did my ornaments.

Here are the things that you will need:
Chocolate warmer or double boiler.
Spoon or pain brush
Small cup or dish
Plastic molds (comes in several sizes at the craft store)
Rubber bands
I also made some silicone molds of the crown on some real Christmas ornaments that i will attach with royal icing

Step 1- Spoon chocolate into the molds and either paint or use the back of your spoon to smooth it all around. I used a baby spoon because its small and soft. I put it on really thick all the way up to the top but make sure you dont get it on the very tip of the mold. On the mold to the left there is an indentation (this is where the two molds snap together) this must be kept clean. So when you do your first layer of chocolate if you get some in this little indentation just scrape it out. Place in freezer 2 minutes

Step 2 - Do a second layer of chocolate the same way. Except this time on the mold where you kept the indentation clean really slop it on, you should slop it on both sides.

Step 3 - Then close the molds(I use the rubber band although you dont have to). This way all that slopped on chocolate will fuse together and put in the freezer about 5 minutes. Also when you close the molds be sure that the two flaps are not back to back space them out a little so you can get the mold open without breaking the chocolate.

Finish - After you take out of the freezer slowly and carefully open the mold and you have your ornament. There will be a line of demarcation so I use the back of my spoon, dip in hot water and run it around that line to get it smooth.

If something is not clear just let me know I'll try to explain a little better.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

74 replies
imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 75

Wow thanks! You should put this in the Tutorials section!

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 75

Very helpful, thanks!

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 75

Awesome!!!

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 75

Can these moulds be found at michaels?

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 75

cocorum21:

It looks a whole lot easier than what I am doing, as far as sealing them.

If you wanted to fill them would you let the chocolate get hard first, add the filling and then do step 2?

Thank you for all the instructions and pics.

p.s. I may do what someone else suggested when I seal the ones I have done already. Put both sides back into the mold, fill and seal.

I will post pics again once I am done. I still think it's a little early to make the truffles.

That raises another ?, is it to early yo make the truffles if I dip them in a chocolate coating, I really hate to wait and have this stuff to do at the end.

Sorry to run-on but this is my first attemp at them and I have many questions.

Thanks

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 75

That is so cool! Thanks.

By the way, a little hint I picked up from watching an episode of Death by Chocolate with Marcel Desaulniers. For a quick chocolate mold: pour flour into a pan large enough to accomadate what you want to mold. Press the item to be molded into the flour then carefully pull it out. Next, CAREFULLY add melted chocolate (preferrably from an icing bag or plastic bottle) into the flour "mold". Let cool and remove. Gently brush off flour residue.

I saw this done on the show, but have never had the need to do it myself yet. Just been filing it away in the back of my brain in case I ever need it. Thought I'd share it with you all.

cocorum21 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladivacrj

cocorum21:

If you wanted to fill them would you let the chocolate get hard first, add the filling and then do step 2?

That raises another ?, is it to early yo make the truffles if I dip them in a chocolate coating, I really hate to wait and have this stuff to do at the end.

Thanks

Yes I would fill after they come out of the freezer.

I'd like to know about the truffles too.

jovigirl yes you can get the molds from michael's

cocochanel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocochanel Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 75

Thank you!! I have been watching all these threads on these beautiful ornaments. But I do have a question. What do you use to decorate with? I notice that you used green candy melts what else do you use on chocolate? I just recently did a Rubie slipper made with the high heel mold and used the red melts and smoothed red piping gel all over the chocolate and then used red sugar. So, as I ramble, what else can I decorate with? Luster dust? Royal icing? Melted chocolate? I can't wait to do these! Thanks again!

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 75

Those are fricken awsome and so easy to do. I know what friends and family are getting this year for Christmas from me! icon_biggrin.gif

cocochanel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocochanel Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 75

Oh, I forgot for those of you who might not have a Michaels, I found mine at A. C. Moore for 77cents and had 3 sizes. Hope this helps!

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 75

Wow! icon_eek.gif Great instructions. Thanks for posting.

I can't wait to try these. I just purchased my clear plastic (hard) molds from AC Moore last night!

edited to say: AC Moore and not Micheal's

Ladivacrj Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 75

Has anyone found any in different shapes, like tear drops, cicles, other cute shapes?

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 75

In reference to 'sugarplumfairy's' answer to a twist on a mold......
I heard it was to dip whatever shape you wanted into CORNSTARCH not flour. Cornstarch is a firmer texture while flour will fall apart. Try both!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 4:07pm
post #15 of 75

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished decorated product. How do you plan to decorate them? Also, approximatly how many ornaments do you get out of a bag of melts? I know it will vary depending on size and how thick you make it, but just a ballpark figure? Thanks for the great tutorial, I can't wait to try this!!

Diana

Ladivacrj Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 4:21pm
post #16 of 75

I found that I am getting 5-6 out of a 1lb. bag in an 80mm ball. They are not to thick, not to thin.

Also about the decorating, can I paint on them. If so, with what? Needs to be something that dries.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:17pm
post #17 of 75

vickymacd, it's very possible that I am mistaken and he did use cornstarch and not flour. It's been a couple of years since I've seen that show and since then I had another child so I've lost even more brain cells. lol

cocorum21 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:24pm
post #18 of 75

I found some at BigLots they had snowmen, Santa and the Nutcrack for 50cents each

I am going to decorate with royal icing. and then paint the royal icing with luster dust. I am waiting to finish them until I have all of them molded. I have about 40 done so I plan on starting my decorating tomorrow

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:26pm
post #19 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

In reference to 'sugarplumfairy's' answer to a twist on a mold......
I heard it was to dip whatever shape you wanted into CORNSTARCH not flour. Cornstarch is a firmer texture while flour will fall apart. Try both!

I've tried the cornstarch thing, and I found it VERY unsatisfactory. First of all, the surface of the finished product was rough. But, the worst thing is, the cornstarch shifted as the chocolate was poured in. The finished product just wasn't up to the quality I like to present.

pinkorchid50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid50 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:30pm
post #20 of 75

Cocorum,
what do you use for the Gold thingie ? the part that you hang ? can I use a very small pc. of fondant then just paint it with gold
? icon_smile.gif

vivedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivedcreations Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:32pm
post #21 of 75

What are you guys putting inside the ornaments? Just curious....I want to try some of these soon and just wondered what people were putting inside.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:33pm
post #22 of 75

[quote="Ladivacrj"

Also about the decorating, can I paint on them. If so, with what? Needs to be something that dries.[/quote]

I've had some satisfactory luck piping on designs with very thin lines of piping gel....then letting them dry a little so the gel is kinda rubbery. And finally, painting on gold or silver luster dust on the gel designs. Makes the designs really shiny.

cocorum21 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:40pm
post #23 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkorchid50

Cocorum,
what do you use for the Gold thingie ? the part that you hang ? can I use a very small pc. of fondant then just paint it with gold
? icon_smile.gif

for the little crown part I made a mold from an actual ornament and I am going to use chocolate but you can shape a piece of fondant. I would do those little pieces a day before so they can dry so when your chocolate is ready you can just glue to the ornament

I am using real string inside of that.

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:59pm
post #24 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivedcreations

What are you guys putting inside the ornaments? Just curious....I want to try some of these soon and just wondered what people were putting inside.

I'm making small chocolate candies from Christmas molds.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 6:01pm
post #25 of 75

cocorum21

Thank you SOOO much for posting that tutorial. I was having trouble visualizing the whole thing. Now I get it thumbs_up.gif Can't wait to see your final product. I am going to try these this weekend icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 6:26pm
post #26 of 75

AWESOME!! Ya'll are brillant!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 6:38pm
post #27 of 75

awesome tutorial.......I have just GOT to try these!!!

Ladivacrj Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 6:38pm
post #28 of 75

I am going to fill mine with chocolate covered truffles and almond joy balls, they are so good.

I will store them in the basement where it is a little cooler. Hopefully they will hold up nice.

And for the hanger (gold thingies), I found a small hersey kiss mold that should work out perfectly.

pinkorchid50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid50 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 6:42pm
post #29 of 75

You know, I thought about the "hanging" part... icon_smile.gif

How about if you slip a small gold ribbon (loop) sticking out before you close the two halves, that way you don't have to worry how to attach the hanging part later. Then when you unmold it, you already have a gold loop ready for hanging after decorating.. Just a thought !!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 7:04pm
post #30 of 75

almond joy balls??? Are they homemade or store bought??? It made me think of something great to stuff them with. What about those balls that they make of all the different candy bars?? You know...the Reese's bites or whatever they are......they have just about EVERY candy bar in existence in those little balls.....or what about small toys for children??? Like those chocolate "wonder balls" I think they're called...that could be really neat......or even just a nice little note saying how much you love them inside the ball??? Wow, there are a million things you could put inside of them.....(engagement rings?? ) I would have loved for my DH to propose to me with a chocolate ball LOL!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%