Cake Balls Sweating..help!!!!

Decorating By Nickii Updated 29 Sep 2007 , 10:29pm by bobwonderbuns

Nickii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickii Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:18am
post #1 of 14

Those of you who make cake balls....how do you keep them from seating? If you are using the liquid creamer, how long can they stay out? Thank you!!!!!

13 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #2 of 14

Well, cake ball sweat can be a serious issue. icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif I'm sorry... I couldn't stop myself. Anyway, they can sit out long enough to shape and dip them. Don't dip them while they are cold becuase the old cake ball will cause the chocolate to tighten/shrink and you will get cracks and leaks. It's better to dip/roll them at room temp. I wouldn't leave them out for days, but a few hours will not hurt. HTH!

Nickii Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #3 of 14

Anyone? Please?

Nickii Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks Melvira!!!!

All the cake balls I see on here and no other responses or suggestions? I guess its a stupid question and does not deserve a response. icon_confused.gif Please help me..cake balls due today.

cassiescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassiescakes Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 14

Hi Nickii,

Cake balls will sweat (get condensation) if refrigerated then brought out to room temp when it's warm out. Do not touch them with your fingers as it will leave marks on the chocolate. Let them sit at room temp and the condensation should dry, or put them in front of a fan or in an air conditioned room. Same thing for refrigerated fondant cakes when you take from frige to room temp.

HTH, just saw this post, It was not a stupid question by any means.

Cathy

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 14

OMG Melvira.. I was thinking the same thing.. I actually laughed out loud when I read the title of the thread.. icon_lol.gif Made me think of that SNL christmas skit with the radio ladies and Alec Baldwin when he was trying to sell his Schweaty Balls which were actually chocolate truffles and his last name was Schweaty.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Not to make light of the problem.. just being honest.. icon_wink.gif

But back to reality and a serious response.. I agree with the mistress of the dark chocolate. Make sure you are dipping your cake balls when they are room temp. and when you serve them.. bring to room temp too. They will sweat when they come to room temp. I have never made cake balls, but the same trouble arrises when you are making chocolate covered strawberries or when you are bringing a refrigerated fondant covered cake to room temp.. just don't touch them and they should be fine. icon_biggrin.gif

QueenB4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenB4U Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 14

O.K., now I'm confused. (Doesn't take much these days to accomplish that one.)

The cake ball tutorial says to freeze the cake balls from 30-90 minutes and then dip them in melted chocolate. But Melvira, etc. (whom I trust implicitedly - is that a good idea?) says to dip them at room temp.

I'd appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

Melvira Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 14

Well, I appreciate your vote of confidence! I would never intentionally lead you astray. Let me break it down like this. If you freeze the cake balls a variety of thing can/will happen. The little frozen morsels will immediately begin to sweat when introduced to the warm air. Then, when you dip them, that water can get into your chocolate and possibly make it seize. Also, once you get the chocolate on the cake ball, it will quickly turn cold and shrink, therefore possibly causing some of them to crack. Now, none of these things is a guarantee... you could do it with the frozen method a thousand times and have it work perfectly, there is no absolute here. I have done it before with frozen, and I liked that the little devils were easier to manuever, but I didn't like the occasional cracking etc. HTH, if you have any other q's, don't hesitate to ask.

Nickii Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you! QueenB..you are right. I used the tutorial and boy o boy are my cake balls sweaty...I wll try them at room temp to see what happens.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 14

I am pretty new around here so don't know of how much help I can be. I have always layered things like these cake balls in Tupperware containers with folded Viva towels between the layers. It seems to help an awful lot with the sweating problems. I do this with anything that has been dipped in chocolate and just refrigerated or frozen.
Lily

QueenB4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenB4U Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 9:22pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks Melvira! I'll try them at room temp. icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 10:03pm
post #12 of 14

Wow! I never thought about doing them at room temp! That actually makes a lot of sense! I DID have cracking the last time I did them but, never in the times before.

By all means, this was NOT a dumb question! Glad I saw this one! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 14

I will admit the one drawback about doing then at room temp (although I suggest it) make sure you use just a touch less liquid. They will be a bit tacky, and if you use too much liquid, you will be a dirty mess!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 14

You can also try baking them for 10 minutes before dipping them, that helps to dry them out a touch as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%