Urgent Sydneysiders: Stores In Eastern Suburbs (Fondant)??

Lounge By aizuodangao Updated 3 Dec 2006 , 9:45pm by nicolevoorhout

aizuodangao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aizuodangao Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:22am
post #1 of 5

where I can get fondant?

I have 1+kg fondant left and I'm going to make a 12'' christmas fruit cake for son's day care + cake for my MIL.

I don't want to order from BSC becuase I can't afford to pay $11 postal charge and I only need a few kg.

Does anyone know where in eastern suburbs I can get fondant from? If i can't find any, will have to buy Orchard 500g packets from supermarkets (i hate these ones as they are often HARD...............probably being on the shelves too long even though not past expiry date)

There's a shop in westfield shopping centre bondi junction called' Plenty' (level 5). I think they have fondant too but not cheap. Will get elsewhere if there any other stores.

I'd appreciate if you could pleae help me ASAP. Need to start cake next week.

Thanks

4 replies
nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:56am
post #2 of 5

I don't know of any places in the Eastern Suburbs, but I'm giving this a bump for you. If worst comes to worst and you have to buy Orchard, what about sticking in the microwave for a few seconds to help soften. Say no more then 10 secs at a time. When I was making gumpaste I didn't dissolve the gelatine properly and it came out all grainy, my course teacher suggested I nuke it and beat it really well and it worked, so might help make the Orchard easier to work with.

HTH.
Nicole

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 11:24am
post #3 of 5

The only one that I know is Iced Affair that's in Camperdown, they are expensive though. Don't know if that's an option for you. I've used Orchard from the supermarket when I've been desperate and it actually says on the side of the box to nuke it for 10 secs or so like nicolevoorhout said. It will still feel crusty on the outside but once you knead it it goes lovely and soft. The only thing with Orchard after you have iced the cake it takes quite a while to dry.
Sorry I'm not much help. Good luck thumbs_up.gif
Lyn

aizuodangao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aizuodangao Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 11:32am
post #4 of 5

Thanks Nicole & Lyn. I have bought 4 packets of 500g Orchard fondant from the supermarket. Thanks for the tip. I will give it a go. Perhaps a packet I used a few years ago didn't get anough nuke in the microwave (which i ended up throwing in the bin!).

Yes, I have bought form Iced Affair and they are expensive. Their coloured flower moulding paste is a lot more expensive than BSC.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 5

aiz,

Let us know how it goes it's always handy to have these back emergency tips available.

Cheers
Nicole

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%