Desperate How To Fix My Fondant

Decorating By taznjo Updated 3 Dec 2006 , 10:03am by taznjo

taznjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taznjo Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 21

I have had all sorts of issues lately. Here is the latest problem.

I got Satin Ice and it took three trys to get it to cover my two layer 12" cake. Then, when I went to cover my 8" layer it won't work. It tears ALOT. I have added almost 1/2 cup of shortening to 2 lbs but to no avail. It is soft, but even as you are rolling it out, it starts to crack. I took about 1/2 lb of Satin Ice and mix it with a bit of the other Satin Ice and managed to cover my 6" cake -- but I still have a 8" and 10" that need covered. I just can't run to a store and buy more (since in am in Germany) so can anyone help? I have broke down into tears twice and my husband - the big tough US Soldier he is - has even tried to help. We have massaged the stuff till our wrists are killing us, and still don't kow what to do. I spent so much money on the stuff and now I have a half finished cake I have to deliver tomorrow morning (in 14 hours).

Any ideas. Please?

20 replies
sandralita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandralita Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 21

Sorry you are having such a difficult time. I have never used that kind of fondant. I always make MMF at home. However, when that happens to me I have put it in the microwave for a few seconds and massage it again. Also I have rolled it out and spread a little water over it and massage it again. Those two things have helped me in the past with MMF.
Hope it helps and wish you the best.
Sandra

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 21

I am thinking you didn't have enough fondant and you are rolling it way to thin so you would have enough product. And now it is over worked. I am very generous and always pull out the five pound bag for 8 inch and definitely for the 12".

What do you have for products in Germany? Wilton, other fondant, marshmallows?

catscratchfever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscratchfever Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 21

I'm so sorry! I have the same problem with Satin Ice, I'm just not going to use it anymore. Can you make some MMF instead?

tiptop57 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 21

Okay, I am thinking here, if you can't get marshmallows....you just might want to do the faux fondant look...........buttercream all the way. You can get that fairly smooth looking. Or rolled BC here is the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-0-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

taznjo Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 21

I can try it with MMF. I also found somewhere online where they suggested adding water. I did and it helped a bit. Still working on it.

I made MMF last month and it turned out HORRIBLE, so maybe we will go that way again and pray for the best. One or two more tries with out watered-down Satin Ice and on to MMF

It is 11:15 p.m. aren't all nighters part of a decorators creed?

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 21

Couple of questions?? Did you lnead the fondant?? I never add crisco to my fondant. I apple a thin layer to my work surface and also my hands. I knead the fondant until smooth. I actually find that roller it thinner that I have less tearing. What type of icing are you using??

tiptop57 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 21

Yeah I understand about that MMF problem had it myself. Believe me the next batch went beautifully. I used a double boiler instead of the microwave, that way I could really watch the melting process and not overcook it. I greased everything, boiler, spatula my bench knife the counter. Then I made a lovely little ring of powdered sugar with an open whole in the middle for the melted marshmallows. I used a half bag sugar. Then I kneaded and kept adding powered sugar till it was no longer sticking. I coated the loaf shape in crisco wrapped the loaf in cellophane and let it rest for an hour or so. Check out my clam or fishing lure, best fondant I ever worked with! Really! No hard crusty edges from sitting around the shelf. Trust me your MMF will be great!

taznjo Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 21

Ok, I found a recipe for alternate MMF that uses crisco. I just mixed up a batch and put it straight on the cake (warm) and it went on great. I had some clumps from the powerdered suger so I will just sift it again for this next (and hopefully) last batch. WHAT A PAIN!!!

taznjo Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 21

Last batch I think got over cooked and turned out AWFUL...but it is past midnight and I am out of ingredients. So off to the store first thing in the morning. Cake needs done by 10:30 a.m. Heaven help me

tiptop57 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 21

Yeah overcooking was my first issue also. How did it turn out? I want to see pictures please.....

taznjo Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 21

Like I said before, not my best work and I even ended up throwing Satin Ice across my kitchen table and crying on my kitchen floor like a baby - however, after much weaping, wailing and the gnashing of teeth, it is finished. I see no wedding cakes in my near future. Need at least 6 mo to a year to recupe from this one!
LL

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 21

Looks wonderful to me! Beautiful cake! Sorry you had such a hard time of it!

Janice

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 11:16pm
post #14 of 21

You would never know all the grief this cake caused you ~ it is beautiful!!

taznjo Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 11:17pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks, as you know... there was much grief! Thansk so mych Quadcrew for your kind words throughout this ordeal! LOL

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 12:04am
post #16 of 21

Looks great!!!

Can you tell from my ID how I feel about fondant? icon_razz.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 12:15am
post #17 of 21

You're welcome. You need to reconsider the wedding cakes ~ this one just had to test your patience. thumbs_up.gif The next one would not be so hard on you. thumbs_up.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 12:22am
post #18 of 21

I read your posts and was almost sick for you...but the finished cake looks just beautiful. I had nothing so important as a wedding but I had my icing issues today as well...I felt for you.

I am sure the bride will love her cake to pieces!!!
Jane

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 12:26am
post #19 of 21

I think it is beautiful!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 12:33am
post #20 of 21

Sorry to hear that your ordeal with fondant went so horrible, but your cakes is beautiful.

Keep some ingredients to make home made fondant on hand so next time you run out you can just whip up a batch..it's not really that hard to do and I used to always mix 50-50...1/2 home made and 1/2 store bought and it tasted wonderful and handled great also!

For next time..lol

taznjo Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:03am
post #21 of 21

Thank you all for your kind words. I decided to "gat back on the horse" and I am going to use the rest of my fontant and make a Christmas cake for my husbands unit christmas party (Military thing). I was thinking of either the "Miracleof the Manger" nativity cake in the 2005 Wilton book or "Santa's Helpers" on -. 28 of the 2005 YB. What do you think?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%