My First Tierd Cake - Need Advice Badly!

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 1 Oct 2007 , 1:48pm by MomLittr

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 9

Just re-read the instructions for my first tierd cake and it calls for 2 layers for each tier icon_eek.gif (stupid me thought it was 1 layer, torted)!! Now usually I like thick layers of filling (use mousse) in my torted cakes, and a 2 layer cake torted and filled comes out real high. In the case of this tiered cake, should I just put filling between the two layers, or tort the layers and put a thin layer of filling between each?

This cake is for my daughter's baby shower, and quite frankly, one of the biggest and most detailed projects I have attempted to date. I need the advice of all my CC friends who are good at doing tiered cakes!

Thanks!

deb

8 replies
patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 9

It is really up to you and how you like your cakes to look. On most of my tiered cakes, I bake one 3" cake, torte and fill it and use that as one tier and I like the look of that. Some people like it even higher, it depends on your taste. If your cakes are all 2", I would use 2 cakes for each tier, each torted with a meduim amount of filling.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 9

For each tier, I make 2 2" cakes, level and torte them with my beloved Agbay. I then put 3 thin layers of filling. My cakes are then exactly 4" high.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 9

vdrsolo we now officially share a brain. That's exactly what I do.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

vdrsolo we now officially share a brain. That's exactly what I do.

I am honored to share a brain with you! I have learned so much from you, thanks for all the advice!!

MomLittr Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 9

My pans are 2", and thank you all for your help. Now another question, being it is my first tiered cake, would I be better off just decorating the tiers here at home (not the most smoothest ride to the hall) and just assembling and doing the bottom borders at the hall? I just worry that the ride, no matter how slow I go, will not be a smooth one and despite my best efforts, the cake may move. Bing this is for my daughter, want to be able to do the best job I can.

deb

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 9

That depends entirely on your support system. If using SPS, go ahead and stack and border and transport assembled. If you're using dowels, I'd stack and border onsite.

MomLittr Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 9

Leahs, I will be doweling the cake (a first time for this also). The more I think about it, maybe I should assemble there. Now, as long as I don't mess up the decorations while assembling! LOL!!! My other thought was just putting together the bottom two layers, which would be no higher than my regular birthday cakes (I have transported those without problem) and leave the top tier off until I get there.

Can you tell I am nervous about this?! icon_redface.gif I sooooooo want to do a good job on this cake, but with all these "firsts", will probably be doubting myself the whole way!

Deb

MomLittr Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 9

Ok, the final result of my first tiered cake is in my photos (having trouble attaching the picture). Wow, what a workout doing this one! Boy, do I need practice on ruffles! icon_surprised.gif The white chocolate seashells are good at hiding mistakes, and I brought the wrong size shell tip with me to do the bottom borders once I put it together (on site). All in all, was fairly pleased with my first effort. What do you all think? Any comments/suggestions for if I ever attempt a tiered cake again?

Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%