Bulk Cake Mixes

Business By southernbelle Updated 29 Sep 2007 , 3:59am by willman

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:59am
post #1 of 11

I just opened my shop the first of August. Business has been booming! I have been running to Wally World for DH but was wondering....isn't there a bulk cake mix out there that you can just measure out and use instead of opening all those boxes!

I have 2 Kitchen Aid's....1 5 quart professional and the new 6 quart. So I don't have a Hobart or large industrial mixer. Any help would be appreciated.

10 replies
willman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willman Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:10am
post #2 of 11

you might trydawn dist. that is who my shop uses and they are very good

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:16am
post #3 of 11

Southernbelle I am in the planning stage of opening could you tell me the name of some dist. you may be using. You can also pre make your cake mixes so all you have to do is measure. I usually put at least 6 cake mixes 12 cups flour 12 cups sugar 3tsp salt together to have ready on busy days.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:45am
post #4 of 11

http://www.dawnfoods.com/ Dawn foods carries tons of bulk mixes that are pretty good. Pilsbury also carries larger boxes of cake mix (I think that they are like 5 mixes in one box).

Val

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:12am
post #5 of 11

just a word of caution. I would see if you can get a sample of these larger cake mixes before you start using them all the time. Make sure they are up to the same taste/quality your current cakes are. Not all cake mixes are created equal.

Also, have you contacted DH directly to see if you can purchase large amounts from them at a discounted rate? Or maybe your local grocer can place a special order for you and give you a discounted rate?

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:25am
post #6 of 11

anyone ever hear of a wholesale club like SAMS selling a case of cake mixes??

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:29am
post #7 of 11

I've never seen cake mixes at Sam's.

The Sam's does carry bulk muffin, cookie, and cinnamon bun mixes, etc. from Krusteaz, and others, but not cake mixes.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:33am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by southrnhearts

anyone ever hear of a wholesale club like SAMS selling a case of cake mixes??

Go to the customer service desk and ask them if they will order them for you. Some things they cannot get. Like they cannot sell anything that is packaged specifically for Walmart (i.e. Great Value brands). I've done this a few times.

And the suggestion of sampling them first is a good idea. Years ago, Sam's sold a 5lb box of commercial cake mix that I liked. Recently I tried the GFS brand and I won't use it again.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 5:48am
post #9 of 11

I haven't done this yet myself, but WalMart (at least mine) will place a special bulk order for you on mixes, among other things, and give you a better price than what they are on the shelf! That still doesn't solve your "box" issue, but it will help your wallet a little!

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 6:20am
post #10 of 11

thanks debi...good idea
im gonna look into this for thanksgiving and christmas

willman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willman Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 3:59am
post #11 of 11

you might also try best brands they are pretty good

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%