Need To Rent Kitchen..where Do I Start???

Business By jessi01 Updated 1 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm by wolfsonmom

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 8

I need to find kitchen space to rent and also need to do all that is needed to become fully legal. I guess what I need to know is if i get my llc and all that then what? My husband knows a man who owns a banquet facility and I thought that would be the perfect place to rent. would I need to have that kitchen inspected for me or would the fact that it is already for his business be ok. what else would I need to do?
sorry I'm rambling........Just don't know what my first step should be icon_confused.gif

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 8

According to the list posted at the beginning of the business forum, PA will license a home kitchen (no pets allowed).

You can contact your state deparment of agriculture to find the rules. It is generally fairly easy-separate storage, separate refrigeration, a few other things.

You do not need an LLC to be legal, it is a choice for some people.

jessi01 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:04am
post #3 of 8

thanks but my own kitchen isn't really an option. we have a cat and I can't give her up. I need to know how it works renting another kitchen space. I don't even know how to ask icon_redface.gif

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:27am
post #4 of 8

I would start by checking with your state to find out all of the requirements for a rented kitchen.. You wouldnt want to approach the owner of the banquet facitilty without having all the details.. chances are he will have alot of questions and you should be prepared to answer them without sounding ...unprofessional (stumbling and such) If you go to him with the facts and say I am interesting in renting out your kitchen for ..... I think straightforward is the best way..HTH

SazzyG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SazzyG Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 8

Have just seen a thread that says you don't need a license to be legal. I'm very confused about all the rules and regs.!!!!!!!!!!! Have tried to find info on home bakeries in Florida and I think they must hide it away somewhere!!!!!!!!! Can anyone help? Pleeeeeeez! icon_sad.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 8

Unfortunately, Florida will under not allow you to sell food made in your home kitchen. You must rent a licensed facility or build a separate kitchen on your property (see item #4)

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/fs/foodsafe.html

jessi01 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 8

If I rent kitchen space, what licencing and inspections do I need to get. I have no Idea where to start icon_cry.gif

wolfsonmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfsonmom Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 8

Jessie - you need to contact your city/county business license office. They will tell you everything you need to know to get legal. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%