Painting On Cake.

Decorating By 2508s42 Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 3:15pm by kjt

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 5

I need help with a painted cake. I have to replicate this HUGE body tatoo in all colors onto a cake. There is no way possible to do an icing transfer, so I am going to have to outline the thing and paint it in.

I am going to paint it onto fondant. SO...do I have to use luster dust, petal dust with vodka or water, or can I use regular gel colors mixed with water or vodka? Also, what about piping gel? can i mix the color in that and paint that on? I don't want it to be running because of the details in the tatoo, but it has to be awesome. The tatoo runs from the shoulders of the girl all down her back. It covers her whole back. There are butterflies, mushrooms, flowers paisleys, etc. It is really an awesome peice of body art if you like that kind of thing.

Any ideas?

4 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 5

what ever you decide to use, petal dusts, gel colours just make sure you dilute them with an alchohol, like vodka, everclear even the wilton clear vanilla. that way it will evaporate quickly and allow the color or dust to stay put and go dry. you can also paint with piping gel but that will remain sticky and shiny. how do you plan on getting this masterpiece drawn onto your cake inthe first place?? curious?

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 5

have you considered doing it in color flow?

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 5

Have you thought about using a fine point food safe marker to outline your work - then you could easily fill in the lines.

I'd recommend using petal dust with vodka or lemon extract. I caution you not to make it to thin though, if you are trying to do really fine details - thin "paint" will run all over the place - thicker will work better for detail and not run. But if you are painting a large area - thinner "paint" will work.

Also - get good paint brushes!!! The better the brush, the better the detail. It's worth the investment.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

have you considered doing it in color flow?

okay...obviously I didn't read your original post very carefully icon_redface.gif
Not to mix two threads, but that just happens to be one of my "CC Pet Peeves" tapedshut.gif

Anyway, I'm sure colorflow would NOT be a good choice on fondant!

I think SLK's suggestions are the way to go. thumbs_up.gif

Good luck, and I can't wait to see the finished work of art.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%