Has Anyone Made Cheesecake Petit Fours?

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 17 Oct 2007 , 11:22am by birdgirl

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 26

Has anyone made these before? I have had a request for them due in December and I said I would give them an answer by tomorrow. They want them dipped in chocolate and my issue is with warm chocolate would they melt or would it be like dipping candy? I am afraid the cheese cake will melt and it will combine with the chocolate. Thanks!

25 replies
nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 26

hmmm.. good question! I hope someone can help, but in the meantime, i'll do a little research because i'd reall like to know myself!

nikki1201 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 26

just a few so far:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_28239_PRINT-RECIPE-4X6-CARD,00.html

http://www.domesticgoddess.ca/entries.php?entry=10220

the second one said in the description that it is no-bake, so i didn't bother to read the recipe. but the first on seems okay. i woul probably bake my cheesecake the day before in a square springform, and then freeze it a few hours before cutting and dipping it.

i may have to try this soon!

birdgirl Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 26

Thanks for the help. I will try to freeze them solid and see what happens. I am worried that the cream cheese will end up melting, but if it is frozen and dipped it should be ok. It sounds really tasty so will have to experiment first.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:33am
post #5 of 26

I haven't tried this -- but Sara Lee sells bite size chocolate covered cheesecake and Sonic Drive In had deep fried cheesecake bites for a while. I think as long as the cheesecake is very cold and firm it would be fine.

I just don't know if you would do better to use a chocolate chip mixture or candy melts. Hopefully this will move you further up and someone can give you a better answer.

Or you could try one ahead of time just to play around with it and see what the best way is -- OH - and be sure to post the results so we will all know. Those would be great for a shower!

nattyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nattyk Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 26

I just got my Taste of Home magazine yesterday and they have a recipe for Chocolate-covered cheesecake squares in it-say they are bite size pieces. Try their website for recipe, if you don't find it pm me and I'll send it to you.

pinkdaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkdaisy Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 26

I'm afraid I can't offer much "how-to", but I did notice some cute "Christmas Tree Cheesecakes" and other frosted cheesecake bites on Harry & David's website, for some decorating inspiration. I'm trying to post the link, but if it doesn't work, just check out their website. Good luck and I'll be interested to hear how it goes, as I've wanted to try them myself.

http://www.harryanddavid.com/gifts/store/category-display____dessert-bakery-gifts_cheesecake-gifts_Y_

nattyk Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 26

I just pm'd you the recipe.

birdgirl Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 26

Thank you for the help. I will attempt to make them and let you know--it might be a week or two since I have a couple of orders to due this weekend and am in the middle of a remodel at home.

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:41pm
post #10 of 26

i have the mini cheesecake pan, and use that to make the bite sized cheesecakes... I purchased mine from william sonoma... works great for me.. if you want to dip them in chocolate just freeze them well first...

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:29am
post #11 of 26

I just made these not too long ago. I made my own graham cracker crust and topped with a no-bake cheesecake filling which just consisted of sugar, cream cheese and whipped cream. I froze the cheesecake which was placed in a 9x13 pan. Once hardened, I cut up into the pieces I wanted and dipped in chocolate. The cheesecake didn't melt, but I think it would be easier and a bit less messy if you placed the cheesecakes over a cooling rack with wax paper underneath and poured the chocolate over it. Once that hardens you could dip the bottoms if you wanted. The chocolate that drips on the wax paper can be saved and remelted. I made these for family as a trial and I got rave reviews. Good luck, it will be a hit. Oh by the way, if you find that dipping the entire piece is too difficult, just drizzle the tops with alot of chocolate/and or caramel. Good alternative.

nikki1201 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:35am
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy

I'm afraid I can't offer much "how-to", but I did notice some cute "Christmas Tree Cheesecakes" and other frosted cheesecake bites on Harry & David's website, for some decorating inspiration. I'm trying to post the link, but if it doesn't work, just check out their website. Good luck and I'll be interested to hear how it goes, as I've wanted to try them myself.

http://www.harryanddavid.com/gifts/store/category-display____dessert-bakery-gifts_cheesecake-gifts_Y_

Oh My Goodness! Those Xmas Trees are SOOO adorable! I am making those for sure! Thanks for posting the link!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:42am
post #13 of 26

The Harry&David ones don't look like they have a crust. For those of you who did try this, is it better to do a crust or none at all?

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:04am
post #14 of 26

these sound like they will be soooo good.
I would love to try them also!!!
good ideas!

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:54am
post #15 of 26

I have made these many times and they work great frozen. I do not use a crust. I use an Eagle brand cream cheese recipe with sweetened condensed milk...awesome recipe...anyway, I make a batch in a sheet cake pan in a water bath. I freeze the cheesecake and take it out, cut it in bitesize pieces, and re- freeze. Then take out only as many as I can dip without them thawing. I can do about 20, when first learning, I would only take out about 5 at a time.
I often spread Nutella on the tops of the cheesecake and have a hazelnut choc. coating...YUMMMM!
I once made a large 14" cheesecake for a wedding and it cracked, so I later cut this up in slices and covered the slices in choc. for a wedding show....it worked great!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:53am
post #16 of 26

Keep in mind, chocolate doesn't have to be super hot. It just needs to be melted. After dipping a few frozen ones you may have to melt the chocolate further, because the chill from the cheesecakes will cool it down and make it difficult to work with.

I've found almond bark is really great for dipping at cooler temperatures. I might have to melt it more often than other chocolates, but it doesn't have to be as hot.

I like the idea of pouring the chocolate over the cheesecakes, like you would a ganache. Hrm.. did they specify it has to be hard chocolate? Maybe a chocolate ganache would work too. icon_smile.gif

I wish you the best of luck! I really hope you're able to find, and accomplish, what you're looking for.

Good luck!!

Holly

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:10am
post #17 of 26

So glad Hollyanna mentioned about reheating the choc every so often, I forgot to mention that.
I bet the ganache would taste awesome.

ladefly Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:39pm
post #18 of 26

nattyk,
Do you know what that website is. I never heard of that magazine before.
Thanks, Mary

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:25pm
post #19 of 26

I've never made them, but if you need a free taste tester, send some my way icon_smile.gif

nattyk Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:00pm
post #20 of 26

Here it is, I get the magazine and love it.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/

ladefly Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:07pm
post #21 of 26

thanks, but now when i went to the website.... it says that i have to be a subscriber to the magazine to get that particular recipe. I was wondering if you would pm me or just post the recipe on the thread.
Thank you so much, Mary

nattyk Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:41pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladefly

thanks, but now when i went to the website.... it says that i have to be a subscriber to the magazine to get that particular recipe. I was wondering if you would pm me or just post the recipe on the thread.
Thank you so much, Mary

Just pm'd you with the recipe

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:58pm
post #23 of 26

I never made cheesecake petite fours but I make something every christmas that some how got the name "reindeer poo". I use the boxed cheesecake mix and pipe little piles of cake on a cookie sheet, stick lollipop sticks in it an freeze them. When they are frozen I dip each one in either, tinted coconut, melted chocolate,crushed candycanes or nuts. Tie a ribbon around each stick and you have yourself some reindeer poo! Sorry I know it's ot but it just popped into my head and I had to share. icon_confused.gif

ladefly Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:01am
post #24 of 26

thank you so much nattyk.

reindeer poo....hmmm interesting !!!!
lol

sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:07pm
post #25 of 26

I have made these also....I use a regular cheesecake recipe, pour it into a sheet pan and bake in a water bath. then freeze until solid, overnight, then cut them with round cookie cutters (or whatever shape you want). I put them back in the freezer for an hour or so (they can get a little sticky while you are cutting them out) Take out of freezer and dip immediately. the are also very cute with just a squirt of strawberry filling and whipped cream...wonderful Cheesecake petite fours!!

birdgirl Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:22am
post #26 of 26

Thanks for the help and ideas. I will hopefully get around to at least starting the process today. Hope to post pictures when I am done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%