Rolled Buttercream Vs. Fondant

Decorating By Jmtreu98 Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 4:37pm by Suzycakes

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 24

I saw a stacked pumpkin cake today on CC...OMG...That cake was amazing. She stated (I'm sorry, I forgot your name) that she used rolled buttercream. It was just awesome!!!!!

I checked out the receipt and it seems pretty straight forward.

Just wondering if I can get some feedback from people who have used both and what they thought of the rolled buttercream.

Thanks,

Jeanene

I found the picture I mentioned above: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_75260.htmlThe creator was spitefiresas21. The cake is amazing! icon_eek.gif [/b][/u]

23 replies
alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 24

Good question--I'd also like to know! I usually see RBC used to top cookies, so I've been curious about using it on cake.

JennerRed01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennerRed01 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 24

I tried to use rolled buttercream on some cookies, but it was soooo greasy and oily. Did I not make it right?

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks

Good question--I'd also like to know! I usually see RBC used to top cookies, so I've been curious about using it on cake.

ditto!!!

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 24

i want to know the answer too... some one please help us!

jjmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjmoore Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:00am
post #6 of 24

it is greasier and I have not tried to cover a whole cake in it but i did make some onsie cut outs from it last night for a baby shower cake this weekend and it was awsome to work with and tastes fantastic, none of my customers like fondant, it tastes like chewy buttercreme but when making decorations it is easier to work with if it is chilled so it is not so sticky! Thats all the input i have but i thought i'd share.

SeptBabyMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeptBabyMom Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:51am
post #7 of 24

I made it once and covered cookies with it. At the time, I remember thinking it might be hard to cover a cake, especially a large one, with it. That being said, I have never tried.

I did really like the taste of it though, even over MMF.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 24

RBC is easy to mold because it is very soft. Fondant is stiffer and dryer. RBC is not good for covering a whole cake; where fondant is. RBC is easy to color to! It's also shiny! For molding, I like RBC.

Here's my recipe:
Rolled Buttercream:

1 C shortening
1 C light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
7-8 C powdered sugar

Beat shortening and corn syrup in mixing bowl until creamy.
Add vanilla and salt.
Mix in powdered sugar.
It will be VERY THICK!

Knead until smooth. It is greasy, wear gloves.

It is easy to color.

Store wrapped in plastic wrap AND in an airtight container in the fridge several weeks or in the freezer several months.

It deforsts quickly.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 24

I have used RBC to cover several cakes. I always add more icing sugar to make it very stiff and cool it a little. Very difficult to use if your kitchen is hot (but I have done this in my 30 + celsius kitchen by always putting the RBC in the freezer between cakes and working quickly.
Then roll out on plastic wrap. If it is for a very large cake I also use these thin flexible cutting boards under the plastic wrap (I have covered a 3 layer 12 x18 sheet cake this way. Having two people helps with this large of a cake. Once the RBC is on the cake that is where it stays - you get one shot. By picking up the cutting boards you can direct one edge to the bottom of the cake and slowly ease the rest on. Then pull off the rest of the plastic wrap. It rips very easily but can be repaired somewhat with a metal spatula.

It tastes sooooooooooooooo much better and I like the shiny look sometimes. RBC can also be refidgerated easily and will not crack because of the shortening. Used RBC on my own wedding cake!

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 24

LittleLinda,

Quote:
Quote:

RBC is easy to mold because it is very soft. Fondant is stiffer and dryer. RBC is not good for covering a whole cake; where fondant is. RBC is easy to color to! It's also shiny! For molding, I like RBC.

Here's my recipe:
Rolled Buttercream:

Do you ever do a chocoalte RBC and do you have a recipe? I need to make football cookies. Thanks!

Cathy741 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy741 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:27am
post #11 of 24

I'm a newcomer to this site. First took decorating classes in 2001. Have only made a couple of cakes each year for my kids. Starting to do more for practice so I can get good enough to sell as a sideline. Made my father-in-law's 88th b-day cake recently. He LOVED it and so did the rest of the crew. It tasted like candy corn and had a similar softer texture. For decorations, it was great. For covering a cake, would take lots more practice and time. I find it tore easily. Way better tasting than regular fondant. Man, I love playing with all this cake decorating stuff!!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:35am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyoung5

LittleLinda,
Do you ever do a chocoalte RBC and do you have a recipe? I need to make football cookies. Thanks!

Sorry, I don't have a recipe for chocolate. Perhaps a half cup of cocoa powder added will do it; but that's just a guess!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:04pm
post #13 of 24

Do you put a layer of buttercream on the cake before you apply the rolled buttercream?

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:41pm
post #14 of 24

yep, i just added a half a cup of cocoa powder, and it was great!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:58pm
post #15 of 24

glad to come across this post. i've always wanted to try it, but was afraid too.

MrsTCHJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsTCHJ Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:59pm
post #16 of 24

I made RBC for the first time and covered a cake in it the same night. It was VERY soft. I added more sugar but perhaps not enought. It was hard to get it on the cake because it was so soft. It may just take a little practice to get the right consistency. Maybe I should have added more sugar. It tasted really good! Like chewy buttercream.

gourmetjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetjulie Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:07pm
post #17 of 24

Can you used rolled buttercream to make flowers and such--in the same way you would use gumpaste? do they harden, or do you have to freeze or refrigerate them?

Thanks!
Julie

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:08pm
post #18 of 24

I use RBC on my cookies and will use fondant and/or royal icing for details and decorations.

The RBC does get oily but I just re-knead it each time I use it. Once on the cookies, I will pat and smooth with a Viva paper towel. Then let the cookies air dry. I have not had any problems with the BRC being too oily on the cookies.

I also use RBC on my cakes. The sheet cakes in my photos were covered with RCR. It is softer than fondant but I think it tastes better. And peopl will eat....instead of taking the fondant of the cake. I also like to use RBC on cakes becasue if it does tear, it is so much easier (for me) to fix the tear and you cannot see it!!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:11pm
post #19 of 24

I am excited to try RBC! Thanks for the posts and information!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:33pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

I use RBC on my cookies and will use fondant and/or royal icing for details and decorations.

The RBC does get oily but I just re-knead it each time I use it. Once on the cookies, I will pat and smooth with a Viva paper towel. Then let the cookies air dry. I have not had any problems with the BRC being too oily on the cookies.

I also use RBC on my cakes. The sheet cakes in my photos were covered with RCR. It is softer than fondant but I think it tastes better. And peopl will eat....instead of taking the fondant of the cake. I also like to use RBC on cakes becasue if it does tear, it is so much easier (for me) to fix the tear and you cannot see it!!

I looked at your pics and your cakes and cookies are beautiful. I like the way the RBC shines. I've heard nothing but bad things about RBC but your pics have encouraged me. thumbs_up.gif

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:40pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetjulie

Can you used rolled buttercream to make flowers and such--in the same way you would use gumpaste? do they harden, or do you have to freeze or refrigerate them?

Thanks!
Julie

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1070473.html

I am very new to use this and found it pretty easy to work with. For each rose i made a ball with the RBC and rolled it in PS, kneaded it in, rolled it again and it was firm enough to hold shapes and didn't stick to the wax paper i was rolling it on. don't be afraid to use too much PS!

Suzycakes Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:37pm
post #22 of 24

Southaustingirl -

Do you use a thin layer of buttercream between the cake and the RBC?

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:25pm
post #23 of 24

I use 1/4 inch layer of BC under RBC. Chill BC covered cake well for crisper edges before RBC.

Suzycakes Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:37pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks - I'm going to be doing a lego cake for Sunday and I thought RBC would be perfect for it. I

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%