Imbc/smbc W/splenda?

Baking By ZAKIA6 Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 6:27pm by bkeith

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 12

Hi

Has anyone ever made IMBC or SMBC with splenda?

Zakia

11 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 6:19am
post #2 of 12

I dont' think the Splenda has enough structure to form a syrup to make the buttercream hold together.

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 12

thanks for the input. i have a few diabetics in my family and im trying to figure out what to do when it comes to frosting the cakes.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 12

Sugar free Cool Whip works nicely, but it's not FROSTING.. then again little without sugar is going to feel like frosting. Good luck finding something that will work and taste great!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 12

I agree with JoAnnB having tried to make maple pecan candy with sugar free (Splenda) maple syrup. The cooking (direct heat) action breaks down the Splenda sugar alcohol molecules. Still sweet, but, NO syrup.

BUT, according to the Splenda cookbook you can make Powdered Sugar by putting it in a food processor. So, I'm wondering if you could do a half and half (half butter and half Crisco) buttercream and it work. Just a suggestion.

Hope you find a recipe that suits. Your "Sugar Challenged" relatives will think you are THE BOMB!!

Beth in KY

pammelasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammelasue Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 12

Zakia,
My little girl is diabetic and her favorite icing so far is a tub of sugar-free Cool Whip mixed with a package of sugar-free pudding. You can't really decorate with it but it has more flavor than just the Cool Whip alone. I usually ice her birthday cakes with this and then decorate with regular buttercream. That way she can either scrape the real buttercream off or eat the little bit that's on there for decoration. Hope this helps!

Oh, and I tried this once and added some cream cheese to it to give it a little more body and that was good too!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 12

I may try Duff's MBC this weekend with Splenda and see what happens, you don't cook anything in this recipe, so maybe it will work.

What do you use for your cake? I just got a request for something for a diabetic if possible.

bkeith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkeith Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 12

IMBC won't work with Splenda because Splenda won't make a syrup. But I've done SMBC with it, and it works fine. It's a little heavier than traditional SMBC, but I had no problem icing cakes and piping border and simple flowers (rosebuds, sweetpeas, etc.) with it.

pammelasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammelasue Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 12

Laura,
Splenda's website has cake recipes. I haven't tried any of them yet but they are rated and have reviews. You may want to check a few of those out of the recipe tab here on CC has a diabetic option in the pulldown search menu.

ZAKIA6 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

I may try Duff's MBC this weekend with Splenda and see what happens, you don't cook anything in this recipe, so maybe it will work.

What do you use for your cake? I just got a request for something for a diabetic if possible.

I have just started looking into the sugar free recipes so i havent tried any yet but Sarah Phillips/Baking 911.com has a recipe for sugarless white cake that i am going to test soon.

ZAKIA6 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeith

IMBC won't work with Splenda because Splenda won't make a syrup. But I've done SMBC with it, and it works fine. It's a little heavier than traditional SMBC, but I had no problem icing cakes and piping border and simple flowers (rosebuds, sweetpeas, etc.) with it.

Thanks! I will try making some SMBC with it. How does the taste compare?

bkeith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkeith Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 12

Fine -- I didn't notice any off flavor from the artificial sweetener. Tastes just like regular SMBC, only denser.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%