Lighter Chocolate Cake?

Baking By aobodessa Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 4:18am by EmmyD

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 8

Hey there, one and all. Does anyone have a really good recipe for a lighter chocolate cake? Not "lite", but more like a milk chocolate as opposed to really dark chocolate cake. I have a Bride who likes chocolate cake, but told me that she doesn't like it "so fudgy". I was thinking of just doing a box mix, combining a white mix with a chocolate fudge mix and baking that (it would be like marble cake only all mixed together as one).

Does anyone have any other thoughts on this? I would really LOVE to make it from scratch (thte wedding is this Saturday), but if I can't a doctored box will be fine. I can always "goose it up" a little. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Odessa

7 replies
delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, my family is not a dark chocolate fan either (which I personally don't understand icon_eek.gif ) so what I've done for choc cake is used Devil's Food Box mix with devil's food pudding mix, extra egg, 1 cup of water and double the oil. It gets rave reviews. HTH

Delia

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 8

I use the recipe on the back of the Hershey Cocoa box, it's very light and moist. I don't think I would call it milk chocolate but someone I made it for called it that, I made it 3 layers with choc buttercream and she loved it!

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 8

The Duncan Hines Milk Chocolate cake mix is pretty good and not so dark. I only use cake mixes, so no scratch recipe.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 8

I recommend this one:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/recipe.asp?article=1094

The recipe is only for a 7in cake though - so you will need to scale it up:

PER LAYER
For 6in cake - 1/2 x recipe
For 8in cake - 1 x recipe
For 10in cake - 2 x recipe
For 12in cake - 3 x recipe
For 14in cake 4 x recipe[/u]

fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:55am
post #6 of 8

You could try doctoring up a German chocolate mix, or use Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:08am
post #7 of 8

I second the German chocolate idea. Chocolatey but not TOO chocolately!

EmmyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmmyD Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:18am
post #8 of 8

It is probably too late but the Hellman's chocolate cake is awesome! I have heard that this has been out forever and is tried and true with me and my family. It is:
1box Duncan Heinz Devils Food cake mix
1cup hellmans mayo
1 cup water
3 eggs
1 tsp ground cinnamon

beat all ingrediants for 2 minutes, pour into 2 greased and floured 8 inch pans. bake at 350 for 30 mins.

I dont know who created this recipe as it was hand written and handed down to me. I can only imagine it was Hellmans or somebody along time ago. Let me know if you know so that they can get proper credit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%