Tools Needed For Class... Confused

Decorating By Elfin Updated 26 Sep 2007 , 11:51pm by Elfin

Elfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfin Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:30am
post #1 of 7

Hi all, I am starting my first cake decorating class this week and the tools list includes a "rose stick" and "rose scissors". Can anyone explain to me what these are? I can't even find them via google. I do have a rose nail, but the stick is apparently a different tool. And I know I can use regular scissors, but I'd rather get the right ones.

Thanks in advance for your help! I've learned so much from reading the forum!

6 replies
shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:35am
post #2 of 7

I've never heard of a Rose Stick but thats just me...in my wilton class we used the regular rose nail and normal home scissors...our instructor told us not to buy the rose scissors that regular ones work just fine...

I will tell you I bought a TON of crap for my first class that I doubt I'll use very much...

good luck!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:35am
post #3 of 7

The rose stick is most likely a thin dowel. You pipe the petals around the dowel then lift it off.

The scissors are probably the flower lifting scissors. the are white plastic with the blades tilted away from the handles.

I have found both at Michaels , or your local cake craft store should have them. You can probably get by with some small kids craft scissors with a wide blade. they don't need to be sharp.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:43am
post #4 of 7

I agree with the rose stick, it is most likely a dowel sharpened on one end. Most I have seen used are a 1/4" dowel that one end was put into the pencil sharpner. Take a look at the following article for how it will be used.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=959683

For the rose scissors I have used the Wilton Flower lifter ( http://www.confectioneryhouse.com/product.php?productid=3392&cat=0&page=1) but I prefer to use a good pair of Fiskars scissors, I usually buy the small pair that is back in the craft section of wal-mart (they look like the small pair in this photo http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/t_2-piece-home-office-scissors-set.aspx)

HTH

Elfin Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:07am
post #5 of 7

Thank you so very much for this info... now I understand what I am looking for, and hopefully will be able to find them when I hit Michael's tomorrow. The pictures help a great deal!

I happen to have some extra-fat wooden kabob skewers... they must be about 1/4" thick... I bet that would work if I can't find the right item at Michael's? Leily, the link to the article didn't work... I would definitely like to read it, though... can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks everybody for the input and help!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfin

Leily, the link to the article didn't work... I would definitely like to read it, though... can you point me in the right direction?

oops! I was responding to two post at the same time and copied the wrong link for this one....

Here you go, hopefully this one will work.
http://www.cakecentral.com/article50-Making-Buttercream-Roses-on-a-Stick.html

As for your bamboo skewer that will be fine. I have never seen a rose stick for sale before, I have always seen them made. If you have the wooden dowels by wilton just sharpen one end and you have a rose stick.

Elfin Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 7

This link worked, thank you! Now I understand... I am curious to see what the difference will be making them on the stick vs. the nail.

I went to Michael's today and found the two items in question... although I couldn't have done it without your help and item description. The flower lifter was easy enough, but I was only able to recognize the rose sticks due to the description here. They were in the decorating section, same area as the flower lifter, but are only labeled "wooden craft sticks". They are in a package of 30, 5" long, and one end is sharpened like a pencil, though not to a sharp tip.

I do think my kabob skewers are similar enough, maybe not quite as wide a diameter, though. In any case, I think I got the right thing!

Thanks again for all the help...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%