Mini Cakes - What Would You Price Them At?

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 3 Dec 2006 , 12:17am by mkolmar

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 14

I am making mini cakes (3" round, 2 layers, iced and simply decorated) for a craft fair. What would you think a fair price would be for these? Plan on making them with white icing and a large royal icing pointsettia on top for the holiday season. The two flavors I plan on using is coconut cake with pineapple filling and lemon cake with raspberry filling. I belive I can get 3 (2 layer) cakes from each doctored box mix. Hmmmmm...

13 replies
cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 14

I would expect to pay $10. ???

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 14

I think I would charge $5-$7 a pop. Have fun frosting them... those things are so small. icon_eek.gif

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 14

Probably about 7 dollars. Seems like a nice even price, not as cheap as 5 but not a pricey as 10. All the same, people might still pay 10 for them, but at 7 or so they might buy more than one.
OOO...lemon raspberry. And I'm off to bake!

MomLittr Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the input everyone. I am considering the $5 price because the employees of the place I am doing the craft fair don't make alot and it seems a price I would be likely to pay. Wow, $10! icon_surprised.gif I would be dancing in circles if I could get that much. Fair pricing is so hard for me to figure sometimes, being a beginner at this.

One thing I do know, when I do yule logs for Christmas, being I want to use chocolate ganache, they will be priced between $15 and $18 because the chocolate costs so much. Folks tell me that the $10 I charge for my pumpkin rolls should be more.

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 14

I did some mini heart shaped cakes for a charity bake sale. They were single layer (about 1 1/2" high, 3" across and 4" long) with cornelli lace and a rose, and they sold for $4.00 each. It was for a charity, and I thought the coordinator underpriced them a bit, so $5.00 or $6.00 should be more than fair with a poinsettia on them. Good luck!

MomLittr Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 14

Just an update on selling my mini-cakes. Made 3" lemon cakes with raspberry filling, 2 layers, iced in buttercream with a royal icing poinsettia on top. Had them for sale at $5 each...........no one even touched them, although they looked. Ended up leaving them for the employees at my husband's workplace as I did notwant to bring them home. Decided two things, never make tiny cakes like that again, except for smash cakes (what a pain to ice them) and two, the smallest cakes I will make will be 6" cakes for sale!

deb

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 14

some people are really cheap. And depending on your area some are just not interested unless it's at the dallor store price. icon_wink.gif

MomLittr Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 14

You know what, my best seller was red-velvet cupcakes with peppermint buttercream icing (at 75 cents each)! icon_biggrin.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

You know what, my best seller was red-velvet cupcakes with peppermint buttercream icing (at 75 cents each)! icon_biggrin.gif

See what I mean by dallor store prices!!! icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 14

I charge $30.00 for my yule log and that is with meringue mushrooms. It is a chocolate fudge jellyroll cake with coffee cream inside.

MomLittr Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:42pm
post #12 of 14

Mac, can you give me the recipe for your coffee cream filling? I am in search of a good mocha filling, but not happy with any I have found yet.

I too am doing a yule lot, but not with meringue mushrooms. Plan on doing a chocolate cake, whipped chocolate ganache filling, covered in chocolate ganache, decorated simply with royal icing pointsettias. Plan on charging $20 as everyone is used to paying $10 for my pumpkin rolls (prices go up next year). Truthfully I don't think I could get $30, even with the mushrooms.

deb

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 14

I mix some Folgers instant coffee cystals with water--make it kind of strong and add it to my frosting or even ganache filling. I was told by a coffee company that when a recipe calls for expresso powder, this is what you use. You can use some leftover brewed coffee.

Or you can add some to fresh whipped cream, just be sure to dissolve it in some water. I have even used some of the flavored coffees. I will buy the tiny packages at Kroger's--a little goes a long way.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 12:17am
post #14 of 14

I would charge $6 for the mini-cakes, they are a pain in the butt to do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%