Doll Cake Question

Decorating By butrcup Updated 1 Aug 2005 , 12:08pm by talmas

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 10

this may sound silly but I have a concern. I want to try to make a doll cake for the little girl who lives across the street (who is 3) so I went to Michaels yesturday to get everything-the doll doesn't have a bottom half. When the cake is finished do the little girls normally want to play with the doll-who would want 1/2 of a doll (personally, I think it would freak a little girl out)? Can I make the cake with a normal barbie and provide an outfit? What is the normal proceedure for this? I didn't buy anything because I didn't know what to do. thanks

9 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 10

I did a barbie doll cake for my granddaughter. I used the 1/2 doll pick for the cake.. but I gave her a real doll and an outfit so she would have one to play with.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 10

I haven't done a large doll cake, but I have done the small ones. I used the kelly dolls (I think that's right, it's been awhile) I personally like to leave the child with something to play with insted of having to take the doll 1/2 away or throw it away. I would suggest picking up a barbie. just make sure you wrap the bottom half of her that is in the cake in seran wrap well before you put her in. This way they can take out the doll unwrap/dress/and she's ready to be played with.

butrcup Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks, I didn't want to make the child need therapy
thanks for the saran wrap tip as well, wouldn't of thought of that until it was too late

Rainbow_Moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow_Moon Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 6:56am
post #5 of 10

i don't want to say this because it's not my experience, but I read somewhere (epinions?) that someone found that the regular dolls will not fit into the 'skirt' and that you have to use the 1/2 doll pick or the 'skirt' only comes up to her thighs. i will see if i can find that link for you where she explained her experience.

The article is here: http://www.epinions.com/content_104598113924 (if it doesn't work, go to www.epinions.com and search for wilton doll and it will come up - there is only one review for this item.

Quote from the article:"Please note, however, that you need to use a doll pick with this cake; even if you hollowed out a larger hole in the center of the cake, it's not tall enough to just "stick" an 11-1/2 inch fashion doll into, as the "skirt" would come up only to about her buttocks. "

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 3:33am
post #6 of 10

You can use a real barbie doll ,you have to put an extra cake under your doll cake because the legs are longer then the doll pan. I did one I will post for you. I cut a hole out of the cake board that the doll was on for the legs to go through. Hope this help. ... The doll clothes are in the present.
LL

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 4:22am
post #7 of 10

I posted instructions for doing a Barbie Doll cake on www.r-bdesigns.com awhile back. I believe I also posted them on this site, but can not find them. Anyway, they are on that site mentioned under Techniques.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

butrcup Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 7:08am
post #8 of 10

I love the clothes in the present-thats creative. But I have to say after reading Suirrelly Cakes instructions I'm starting to think I really don't like that little girl (haha)-once again my "newbieness" is coming through loud and clear, I had to read it three times-that cake could take me days.....

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 9:20am
post #9 of 10

It is so much easier than you think. I found out that if you are only doing a doll cake then sit her on top of a two layer 8" round. That will take up any extra space needed. I have no choice but to use the real barbies. We don't have pics over here. Good luck!
Tammy

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 10

I made a doll cake with the doll pick for a family that had some young girls. One of them loves Ariel. She saw the doll pick and said it was half a mermaid. She is still playing with it. You never know what kids are going to think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%