Extreme Cherry Cake

Baking By leily Updated 2 Aug 2005 , 8:06pm by PolishMommy

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 6

I tried this recipe today, found in the recipes here on CC. I was wondering if anyone else has made this recipe.

When I mixed it up the batter was VERY thick, a lot thicker than I thought it was going to be. Not sure if there is an ingredient missing, or if it really is this thick.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1355-7-The-Extreme-Cherry-Cake.html

It is in the oven right now, Have a b-day party this evening to attend, but i'm sure we'll have it for a late night snack, so i'll let everyone know how it turned out.

Also I tasted the batter (i couldn't resist, it smelled so good with the cherries in there) And it reminded me of a cookie dough taste. Just thought that was weird.

Thanks for any help.

leily

5 replies
PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 6

I love your signature! How did the cake come out, it sounds really yummy!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 6

I'm curious to know how it turned out too. icon_cool.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 6

Well we tried it last night and I was not impressed with it to much. The flavor was good, but it was do dense for me and also seems a little dry. It would be great for a sculpted cake I think (b/c it's so dense).

I ended up torting the cake so it has four layers. Between the layers I mixed up left over buttercream with Marschino cherries and Marschino cherry juice. It is delicious-this definitely helps the denseness of the cake and the dryness i taste. I then flavored a batch of BC with LorAnns Cherry flavoring and I think I added to much for my taste. The icing taste more like cherry candy than a nice cherry flavor. The cake also helps tone this down quite a bit. Although the icing was to sweet for me, I had many compliments on it and was told not to change it.

I am thinking that if I can add some more liquid to this recipe (maybe oil as there was none in the recipe) It might be more to my liking, however i'm not good at experimenting like that and knowing what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

~Leily

I had many problems while doing this cake though icon_sad.gif Not with the cake itself, but I went to do dishes while the cakes were baking, left the room and forgot I left the water running. The house we're in doesn't have an over flow in the sink so I had water everywhere. That frustrated me enough. Then While I was cleaning that up the cakes were cooling, i was frustrated and upset with myself so I forgot about the cakes cooling and they were completely cool in the pan by the time I remembered so I had a hard time getting them out and they were crummy around the edge b/c I had to use a knife to release them. It just wasn't my night I guess.

Thanks for listening to me rant a little-It is still frustrating a couple of days later.

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 6

Sorry about all of your problems with the cake, but I am glad that you liked the cherry buttercream made with the marachino cherries thumbs_up.gif . Not really sure how you could make the cake less dense...maybe someone else could help you with this.

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry about your bad night. The cake sounded really good, I think we are a lot more critical of our own cakes than others. Maybe just use less flavoring next time...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%