What Is The Difference On Sugarpaste & Fondant ?

Decorating By MARCIAL66 Updated 28 Nov 2006 , 10:34pm by misterc

MARCIAL66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARCIAL66 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 12:51am
post #1 of 9

When it come to covering a cake, is the Sugarpaste the same used for making flowers? it will get hard after a few hours on the cake?

8 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 12:59am
post #2 of 9

Good Question thumbs_up.gif
Were you covering the cake with fondant? Didn't know sugarpaste was used to cover cakes? Will be interested to see what others say!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 1:06am
post #3 of 9

Got intrigued by your question and looked it up in one of my books....
In the "Essential Guide to Cake Decorating", in the description of "sugarpaste" it states that it is also known as "rolled fondant".
Hope this helped icon_smile.gif

MARCIAL66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARCIAL66 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 1:10am
post #4 of 9

icon_surprised.gif Thanks mjs4492 ,
your answers are very helpful to me, thanks one more time icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:00am
post #5 of 9

It depends where you are in the world.

In the UK
Flowerpaste or petal paste is used for making flowers
Sugarpaste (also known as ready to roll icing) is used for covering cakes
Fondant is also used for covering cakes but it's not very widely available. It has to be melted with sugar syrup and poured over a cake.

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:49am
post #6 of 9

yes as missbaritone says, flowerpaste for making flowers as this sets very hard, which is needed to hold the petal shape.
Sugarpaste for covering cakes, sets with more like a firmish crust but is much softer for eating. I actually thought sugarpaste was also known as fondant.
Flowerpaste as with sugarpaste can be bought in packets ready to use, but can also be bought in powdered form just to mix water with and make your own.
cheers
Jan

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:49am
post #7 of 9

Janbabe, you're right. In Australia, as in the UK, sugarpaste is what you cover cakes with and it's exactly the same as what Americans call fondant. I think what has traditionally been called fondant in the UK is runny and drizzled or poured over a cake - not like a paste at all.

And what we (UK and Australia) call flowerpaste is what Americans call gumpaste - it sets hard.

Regards,
Cris.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by janbabe

I actually thought sugarpaste was also known as fondant.

I thought it was too until I took some classes at my local college and we did some work with fondant.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 9

We call sugar paste fondant, or atleast I do. The runny kind we or I call poured fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%