Nancy's Fancy Melvira!!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 6:20pm by CarolAnn

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 148

Several months ago, I bumped into NancysFancy in a cookie thread, and, like most people that see her work, I was absolutely astounded! I followed the link to her website, and the amazement only grew! I was in awe of her cookie talent! I had yet to really get into doing cookies with royal icing so I was especially dumbfounded by her amazing eye for details, and her flawless workmanship. I knew this was someone that could really be an inspiration to me, and the fact that our sharp wit was so well matched pretty much sealed the deal! Im proud to call her friend, and to say that she has inspired me to work on improving my cookie skills! (Seriously, if you havent seen her website, you are missing out on some serious talent! Check it out you wont be sorry!)

Recently I was thrilled beyond belief when she suggested combining our talents! She wanted to make a Melvira: Mistress of the dark chocolate! portrait cookie that would be a cake topper, and then have me design a cake for my birthday that would compliment it! (Or at the very least, not embarrass it!! Hahaha!) Let me lay the scene for you

*Melviras livingroom, midday, she is reading her PMs and sees Nancys suggestion. Her body goes rigid, her eyes go slightly glassy and then she slumps over in her seat.*

Quick! Charge to 200! CLEAR!! Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.
Charge to 250! CLEAR!! Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
Doctor! Were losing her!
Not on my watch! Charge to 300! CLEAR!! Beep, beep, beep, beep.
Weve got her! It was close, but I think shell make it!
*disjointed mumbling from half lucid Melvira* Bestbirthday presentEVER!

I guess what Im getting at is that I was somewhat excited at the prospect of collaborating with someone of this caliber! It was pretty much tantamount to being asked to do a special guest appearance on Ace of Cakes in my book!

So all this yapping has only served to give you an idea of why I am posting this pic in a thread this is my birthday cake, graced by the most incredible sugar cookie topper designed and made with love by the incomparable NancysFancy. The cake is covered in fondant and airbrushed black, then bars of fondant were used to make the details on the side, each hand painted with (a gazillion layers of) luster dust. Silver dragees outline the fondant bars. The pillars are actually hand made by me, hidden pillars covered in rhinestones. (Now that I know I like them, I think Ill remake them using more expensive, fancier rhinestones!) For reference, the tiers are 10, 8, and 6, so you can appreciate the sheer size of this cookie, the bottom of the cookie spans 6 across! (And yes, once apon a time, that was actually my hairstyle, minus the glitter!) icon_lol.gif Please click on the picture to see a larger version... the thumbnail isn't as clear as I'd hoped. The picture, as always, doesn't do the real work justice. I need a pro photog. to come in and do a photo shoot for me!

I just wanted to take a moment to show you our collaboration, and hope that you enjoy it half as much as I did! This has been such a wonderful experience for me, I hope we can inspire some of you to collaborate and come up with some fantastic works! (But not with Nancy shes mine, all mine!! Hahaha!) icon_wink.gif (Launching into chorus of The Girl is Mine.)

While Melvira is busy serenading you, we will check in with Nancy for a few details from her point of view!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancysFancy

I got the idea for this collaboration for a few reasons. First: two other women here on CC worked on a cake together. (I'm sorry but I don't recall their names.) It was a beautiful painted cake and I loved reading how and why they teamed up.

The second reason: I started an "unlikely" PM friendship with the CC superstar, Melvira! (Melissa) Unlikely, in that:
1. It's cyber (we've never met or even actually talked).
2. I'm old enough to be her mother (ouch!)
3. We live too far apart for a casual (cake-eating) get together.
4. We BOTH want Johnny Depp (and only one of us will get him!)

But, all obstacles aside, we became good friends anyway. Then, when I noticed that Melissa's birthday was approaching, I wanted to send her something different and funny. So, the Melvira cookie/cake idea was hatched! I made the cookie, shipped it, and then Melissa designed this incredible cake just for "HER". And I can't really believe that we actually pulled this off. (cookies break, people get too busy, etc.) But I was BLOWN AWAY when I saw Melissa's cake for the first time -- which was yesterday!! It was beyond any expectations I had and it stands alone as an AMAZING cake--- without my silly cookie on top. I'm so glad we did this and I'm honored to have teamed up with her!

A few cookie details:
This is a butter, sugar cookie. 6" wide by 7" tall. I did a sketch of Melissa (looking at a photo of her) and took some "artistic license" to turn her lovely blond self into a "Mistress of the Dark Chocolate." (which is also why she's holding a spoon dripping with chocolate -- having just whipped up something dark and delicious!) I then prepped the cookie with a base of flesh-colored royal, dried it, then held my breath while I painted the face details on (with Americolor gel colors mixed with water.) Mistakes cannot be made at this point -- there is no "erasing" and no covering up -- just starting ALL OVER again on a new cookie if I goof it up. When I accomplished that, I finished by piping the rest of the details in royal.

So, in closing, I'd like to retiterate that this was one of my favorite cakes to make, partly because I was making something that was completely my style, but also, because of the significance of our collaboration. And I'm telling you, that wicked awesome cookie topper with really motivate you to try and do a good job!!

I'd also like to point out that Nancy has been hitting the sauce if she thinks she can steal Johnny from me. icon_surprised.giftapedshut.gificon_lol.gif
LL

147 replies
JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 148

First of all...what a great story! It's so nice to see what can come out of CC friendships!!

Second of all....WOW!! THAT CAKE IS AMAZING...COOKIE AND ALL!!!!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 148

That is absolutely awesome; great story and great results!

But both of you need to get in line for Johnny Depp...

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 148

That is incredible! Cake and cookie! LOVE IT!

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 148

Wow, what an amazing story to go with an amazing cake!

And on another note, you all will have to stand in line behind me for Johnny Depp; I got to meet him a few years back and he is even more charming and lustfull in person! icon_evil.gif

Oh I forgot to mention that I see a new foodnetwork competition; cakes and cookies, collaberation

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 148

Holy Cow!!!! That cake and cookie topper looks absolutely stunning!! Wish I had the talent to collaborate with someone icon_lol.gif *Sigh* maybe one of these days. Happy Birthday Melvira!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 148

That cake is AMAZING!! icon_eek.gif Great work Nancy!! (and I'm still waiting for those squid cookies!) icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 148

Wow! icon_eek.gif Your cake and her cookie are awesome and I totally love the story! Happy belated birthday to you Melvira! party.gif
Now off to check out her website.

Thanks for sharing this totally cool story!

frostedbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostedbliss Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 148

Oh....I love to see this thread! I am a BIG FAN of BOTH of you! This is so fun for me to see a project that you worked on together! It is FABULOUS!!! What a great story that you became friends through this website and collaborated on this amazing and fun cake! Thanks so much for posting your story and the picture! and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

....can't wait to see what you come up with next (hint...hint) icon_lol.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 148

Wonderful, wonderful story. The cake and cookie are both gorgeous. What is the link to Nancy's website?

I, too, have formed a cyber friendship on CC with a cookie maker from from Calif. We email on a steady basis now about everything but cakes and cookies. icon_lol.gif

You can both have Johnny Depp. I'll stick with drooling over George Clooney. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Diane

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

You can both have Johnny Depp. I'll stick with drooling over George Clooney. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Amen and Amen! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 148

Wow icon_eek.gif what an amazing cake and cookie!!! It looks like you guys were side by side when making it! What a great story! Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation!

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:47pm
post #13 of 148

That is AWESOME! Cake and topper! You CC'ers NEVER cease to amaze me!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:50pm
post #14 of 148

I love it! The story and the creation. Thanks so much for sharing!

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:51pm
post #15 of 148

I can't express how fabulous the cookie and the cake is.. it's amazing.. the details on both...

P.S.. while Johnny and George are good choices... Brad is the one I'm waiting on ...icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:51pm
post #16 of 148

OMG *bleugh*

I'm sorry, Melvira will not be able to thank you for your praise, as she was reading through the thread and got to the George Clooney comment, she is now face down in the toilet. Hehehehe. Ok, feel free to slap me... I'm not a Clooney fan. icon_rolleyes.gif Takes all kinds, doesn't it?

I'd just like to say that I have to laugh at us... we can turn ANY thread into a discussion of hot guys, can't we? We are sad, sad women. Or very lonely...? icon_confused.gif Kidding! My DH just shakes his head when I get started on my 'You know who is really hot?' game. icon_wink.gif

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:01pm
post #17 of 148

Wow - that is truly amazing - would love to see it in person as the rhinestones I'm sure really make it sparkle - a masterpiece!!! Love it, love it, love it!!! thumbs_up.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:02pm
post #18 of 148

WOW!! That is one beautiful and awesome cake. I love every detail of it, love the cookie!! she is absolutely amazing doing the cookies. I'm happy that you have both have a wonderful friendship. Happy Birthday!!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:04pm
post #19 of 148

nice work ladies.. it was is an awesome piece of work and I am glad to see such a great friendship like that, and I am proud to say I too have such a great one here from CC. Again, kudo's it is beautiful and I love the cookie and the cake.... looks yummy enough to eat!

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:04pm
post #20 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

OMG *bleugh*

I'm sorry, Melvira will not be able to thank you for your praise, as she was reading through the thread and got to the George Clooney comment, she is now face down in the toilet. Hehehehe. Ok, feel free to slap me... I'm not a Clooney fan. icon_rolleyes.gif Takes all kinds, doesn't it?

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Not a Clooney fan??? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I always knew there was something wrong with that girl... icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:29pm
post #21 of 148

<---- also not Clooney fan! Image

I love that cake! It's so nice when CCers get together. (can't wait til we can have a cc convention!!)

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:43pm
post #22 of 148

Wow, that is a great looking cake and cookie. I loved the story too. I'll have to check out the cookie website.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:43pm
post #23 of 148

Me no likey the Clooney either..

I'll mud wrestle you for Johnny Depp though.. icon_wink.gif

The cake and cookie are both beyond awesome! I'd need to be brought back to life after an offer like that as well.. LOL.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:44pm
post #24 of 148

First I would like to say to you & Nancy, what a AWESOME JOB! The story as to how this amazing cake & cookie came about is great! The design, details and look to the cake & cookie are stunning! You ladies did one heck of a peice of ART!

Yes I have seen Nancy's cookies & cake, I have to say her work is jaw dropping. What talent she has to be able to do what she does with RI and cookie dough...her cakes are just as stunning also.

Congrats Ladies! for such a beautiful amazing cake & cookie.
Also "Happy Belated Birthday Melvira"! party.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

p.s. This granny will take Orlando Bloom, ohhh if I was only 30 some years younger. Wakes up from dream now icon_biggrin.gif ...Hey, I am just old not dead icon_lol.gif

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:46pm
post #25 of 148

DITTO!!! DITTO!! DITTO!! DITTO!!!Fabulous. cake of my dreams!!! Oh, by the way...Travis Tritt does it for me with Tim McGraw running close second

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:48pm
post #26 of 148

WOW!!! WOW!!! and did I say, WOW!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

That is an awesome combination of talents! I must confess, I have always admired each of your individual work, and put together you guys make one very impressive team!! We have a hebrew saying (Yasher Koach) that basically means "great job, and may you do even better in the future". So, to both of you, Yasher Koach!!! thumbs_up.gif

Kathi

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:49pm
post #27 of 148

Wow!!! What a callaboration! What a great cookie! What a gorgeous cake! I just love all those sparkly rhinestones!! (yes, I think I was a bird in a former life because I just love all things sparkly and shiny....glitter, rhinestones, and, of course, diamonds icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif ).

What a great story! This could possibly make it to ACD!! Go for it, Guys!

One day I want my face up in dough, too (with lots of sparklies!!). Ahhh, one can dream, can't she? (while I'm dreaming...I'll dream it's the face I had twenty years ago.....before kids.... and my ever-present "baby fat").

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:49pm
post #28 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannys3angels

p.s. This granny will take Orlando Bloom, ohhh if I was only 30 some years younger. Wakes up from dream now icon_biggrin.gif ...Hey, I am just old not dead icon_lol.gif

Hehehehe! See, this is how Nan and I settle our arguments... we agree that she can have Johnny and I'll take Orlando!! But they have to show up in full pirate garb! icon_lol.gif That usually keeps us copasetic for at least a few minutes!

Justenjoyingit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justenjoyingit Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:49pm
post #29 of 148

What a great cake and cookie, love the design.

Richard Gere here I come. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:51pm
post #30 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

WOW!!! WOW!!! and did I say, WOW!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

That is an awesome combination of talents! I must confess, I have always admired each of your individual work, and put together you guys make one very impressive team!! We have a hebrew saying (Yasher Koach) that basically means "great job, and may you do even better in the future". So, to both of you, Yasher Koach!!! thumbs_up.gif

Kathi

Kathi, thank you! That was a very sweet thing to say! I really like that saying and will have to use it! icon_wink.gif (If that's ok... I'm not Hebrew...)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%