Bundt Cake Questions, Please Help!

Decorating By PieceoCake Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 11:05pm by sheila06

PieceoCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceoCake Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:18am
post #1 of 6

I received a call today asking me how much I charged for an order of 30 bundt cakes without filling or decorations, just the bread. (It's for a wedding, they plan on putting one per table.) I'm a beginner at cake decorating and now they ask me for bundt cakes icon_surprised.gif , I have no idea whatsoever. How much to charge? Can I use box cake mixes or does there have to be another certain recipe? How many box recipes to put per pan? Baking times? If anyone can help me, I would sincerely apreciate it. Thanks.

5 replies
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:23am
post #2 of 6

Do they want regular size Bundt cakes? One mix makes a bundt. Bundt cakes are generally heavier than regular cakes. You can use cake mix, sour cream, an extra egg, milk or butter milk instead of water, add flavorings, etc. Bundts do best baked at 325 for 50 to 60 minutes. Some have glaze on them (much better with a glaze) - do they not want even a glaze? I've seen them for sale from $3 to $7 a piece in my area.

PieceoCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceoCake Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:34am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for you answer. They just want the cake. I'm guessing they already have the decorations to go with it. I would think that they would want something similar to their wedding cake decorations or at least their groom's cake. But they just want it like that. I have to call back tomorrow for the size because all i've seen is a 10" pan.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:44am
post #4 of 6

To (mis-)quote Debi: "paint is sold by the gallon, cake by the serving/slice."
Bundt cakes are 16 servings. Each one will take you an hour to bake, half an hour to prep, and not counting the cake boards and boxes and ingredients!
If they want cheap, they can get them from Costco, but I wouldn't do them for less than $1 a serving. And that IS the friend price. icon_wink.gif
For bundt cake, I like a denser cake, so I use a cake mix, add a small instant pudding, a cup of milk and the required eggs, a melted stick of butter instead of oil. HTH,

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:59am
post #5 of 6

I can't help with the pricing because I do cakes as a hobby, but I do love bundt cakes. NordicWare makes some great pans. Their website NordicWare.com posts some great recipes both from scratch and additions to cake mixes. I found their site after I bought their cookbook!

sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 6

I charge $16.00 per cake for just the plain box mix type. With nuts, fruit, etc is extra of course.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%