I Need An "omg" Idea!!

Decorating By Pootchi Updated 28 Nov 2006 , 9:23pm by KHalstead

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 21

Hi, like every year we have a potluck lunch the last tuesday before christmas. I always bring a cake that's not an usual cake. Last year it was the Igloo from my photos. This year well, I want to make something very like an "OOOH" "OMG" sorta cake icon_lol.gif I first thought cake balls! But I already made them taste it. So I'm planning more on the design of a special cake than the flavor. I looked through all my Wilton yearbooks, and it's like I'm not in the mood. I want to plan ahead so if I need fondant things to do in advance, I'll have time for it!

anyone has a suggestion? A pic of cake you already done and want to share the idea?
Please,Please, pretty please icon_cry.gif (now I feel like a begging 2 y-o icon_redface.gif )

thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 replies
Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 21

How about those really cool ornament cupcakes from the Wilton contest?? I plan on bringing those to my office holiday party, if they come out good!

meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 21

Maybe you could do something that has to do with the idea of potlucks... like a "teddy bear picnic" type cake, but with ladies lunching. Type in "teddy bear picnic" in the google image search and see several ideas for "picnic" or "tea party" cakes. How many people attend the potluck? You could do a place-setting for each. I have a picnic table cake in my photos that I did for a multiple-birthday party... maybe you could use a similar idea.

Good luck! and post photos!

Pootchi Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 21

I love the idea of the ornaments. I didn't think about that!! icon_surprised.gif That's a great idea. I'll go look for the instructions, I know someone wrote them in here somewhere...
I made a table once, with a small turkey and a bottle of wine, plates, glasses and even a bowl of salad. All on a 9X13 cake. it was all before I got my digital camera. icon_sad.gif so I can't put a pic right now.

Keep the ideas coming....

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 21

You could stack cake balls into a tree shape and then decorate the "tree" with whatever you like. Or get a cone shaped foam thing and use toothpicks to stick the cake balls into it so you don't have to use so many cake balls and worry about the weight of it....

Pootchi Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 21

cake ball tree... Good idea very clever!! thank you!! I'm taking notes.... icon_smile.gif

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 21

You could make a cake ball tree and little square or retangular cakes wrapped up as Christmas packages around the cakeball tree.

Pootchi Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincanbaby

You could make a cake ball tree and little square or retangular cakes wrapped up as Christmas packages around the cakeball tree.

COOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!! I really love that idea!!!!!

pinkorchid50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid50 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 21

How about a Bouche De Noel, but very elaborate and a lot more decorations... I love Bouche De Noel.. it is "very" Chirstmas and very
chic and elegant. icon_smile.gif

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 21

For Christmas I am making a snowglobe cake - there are pics of some here in the gallery. They look like fun!

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 21

Pootchi, be sure to post your pic, it sounds like you got a few good ideas!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 21

I'm dying to try Collette's Christmas Tree centerpiece in the Colette's Cake Book....have you seen it? Very oooooooh and ahhhh!

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 21

Did you see the Christmas cake contest on the Food Network. One of the contestants made ornaments using royal icing and small baloons. They are so cool I am going to try them. It looked like she blew up small ballons to the size she wanted and suspended them using the tied end. She then piped white royal icing in swirl like patterns and a top like ornaments have (gold).and when it was hard she poped the balloon and had ornaments. They then painted the top gold. They were just so OMG! They would make even a simple multi tier cake decorated with flowers and bows and the balls very elegant. Good Luck!

geehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geehouse Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 9:12pm
post #14 of 21

Have you ever heard of the pickle ornament and whoever finds the pickle in the tree will have good luck? maybe you could make the pickle ornament with meaning of it attached.

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 9:17pm
post #15 of 21

Maybe a teapot decorated like Christmas china with cups of tea for the guests would be nice for a lunch. Have a good time.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 9:22pm
post #16 of 21

Did you see Sugar Rush this week (maybe it was a repeat...dunno). They showed the assembling of a nutcracker cake. It was waaay "OMG"....but doable.

gottacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottacake Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 9:22pm
post #17 of 21

Someone just posted a photo of a "snowman smore" cake. It's adorable. That would be so much fun to take to a potluck but very simple to make during a highly stressful week!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos_display_16_-86294.html

Have fun and I know that whatever you provide...everyone will be impressed!

Pootchi Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 9:58pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

I'm dying to try Collette's Christmas Tree centerpiece in the Colette's Cake Book....have you seen it? Very oooooooh and ahhhh!

No I haven't seen it! Where can I get a pic??? I wanna see it.....

Quote:
Quote:

Did you see the Christmas cake contest on the Food Network. One of the contestants made ornaments using royal icing and small baloons. They are so cool I am going to try them. It looked like she blew up small ballons to the size she wanted and suspended them using the tied end. She then piped white royal icing in swirl like patterns and a top like ornaments have (gold).and when it was hard she poped the balloon and had ornaments. They then painted the top gold. They were just so OMG! They would make even a simple multi tier cake decorated with flowers and bows and the balls very elegant. Good Luck!

I don't have food network icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Maybe it's on the website??? I'll go check....

Thanks again for all the ideas icon_biggrin.gif

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:10am
post #19 of 21

Meihana:
Love the picnic table cake, it's adorable.

I saw someone post the idea of a cake ball tree in this thread. I recently learned how to make cake balls and they have been such a hit. I had never heard of cake balls until I joined this site and was afraid to try them for a long time. Now I can't figure out why I was afraid to do it. Anyway, my question is could someone please post instructions for constructing a cake ball tree? I would love to make this for Christmas and make petit four "packages" to put under the tree. Thanks in advance!!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:27am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalana

You could stack cake balls into a tree shape and then decorate the "tree" with whatever you like. Or get a cone shaped foam thing and use toothpicks to stick the cake balls into it so you don't have to use so many cake balls and worry about the weight of it....

I did something similar a few years back for a work cooking contest - and people STILL talk about it! I wish I had a picture.

But what I did was get a topiary foam - it's shaped like a flower pot on the bottom, has a dowel in the middle with a round foam ball on top. Stuck the bottom part in a pretty flower pot, weighed down with rice in a zip-lock bag. Decorated with silk pointsettias to cover up everything in the flower pot. Stuck toothpicks thru truffles and a paper cup for each and stuck them in the top round foam. Stuck in some more silk flowers to fill it out.

Probably my favorite creation to date - and people loved it!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:23pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake412

Meihana:
Love the picnic table cake, it's adorable.

I saw someone post the idea of a cake ball tree in this thread. I recently learned how to make cake balls and they have been such a hit. I had never heard of cake balls until I joined this site and was afraid to try them for a long time. Now I can't figure out why I was afraid to do it. Anyway, my question is could someone please post instructions for constructing a cake ball tree? I would love to make this for Christmas and make petit four "packages" to put under the tree. Thanks in advance!!

Just look in the styrofoam in the floral section of your nearest craft store or even Wal-Mart and look for the kind that is already shaped like a tree.....like a large cone......then all you do is just stick toothpicks into the foam and then stick the cake ball on the toothpick.....simple as that....you may want to fill in the gaps around the cake balls with something....some fake green leaves could be pinned all around the cone or I'm sure it would be cute to pin on some christmas candies or gumdrops or something like that stuck in the spaces between the cake balls...might be cute to dip the cake balls in green candy melts and then every once in a while have one dipped yellow, red, white, blue, etc. almost like christmas ball ornaments or something...could even get fancier and decorate the colored ones more elaborately like an ornament!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%