Pregnancy Vs. Cake Decorating: I Think It's Over!

Decorating By travelingcakeplate Updated 4 Jan 2007 , 1:23am by Kitagrl

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 37

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I have not been posting photos or topics lately because I am in the first trimester of pregnancy and every time I think about cake, look at cake photos, or am asked to make a cake I become SICK. (Even now as I type this message, I am feeling HORRIBLE!!!) The smell of cake, chocolate, ganache, buttercream or anything sweet gives me cold sweats and makes me cringe! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I know the feeling won't last forever, but I am a little sad because I will have to put my hobby aside for a few years because I will soon have 2 children both under the age of 2. Who can think of decorating cakes when there will be so many diapers to change, bottles to make, and sippy cups to fish from under the couch?

I think it is truly over! icon_cry.gif

36 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 37

(((HUGS))), wait until your first trimester is over and then see how you feel - hopefully you'll find your aversion to all things cake goes away as quickly as it came. Good luck and congratulations!

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 37

No worries, you know the feelings will pass. And yeah, you're going to be busy with your babies, but just think of all the occasions that that gives to bake and decorate for! Birthdays, showers, first moments...You'll get back to it, and it'll be just as addicting as ever icon_biggrin.gif

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 37

We should all have a moment of silence for this brave soldier lost in the fight of motherhood vs. cake addiction. Just remember they grow up to have birthdays and school treats and many more excuses to bake again!! Go put your feet up and relax and take this time off to dream up fabulous new designs!!

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 37

Hi there,

I sympathise, I wrote something very similar here in April/May of this year. Just looking at a Cake Magazine brought the smell of icing sugar into my nose and I'd be nauseaus.

I had taken on two wedding cakes one in May and one in June. I threw up so much making the first cake, I don't know how it ever got finished and I cancelled the second one, I would be sick just thinking about it.

Here I am 36th Week, I've bought the back issues of my monthly cake magazine that I couldn't bear to pick up in the newsagents, my christmas cake is made and half iced (fruit cake here in Irl with plenty of Poitin to make it keep). I'm planning the Christening cake and the poor child hasn't been born yet. I'm upset that I've had to turn down a friends wedding cake early Feb because I'll be having a Caesarean and I won't be fit to do it and basically what I wanted to say in my long irish blarney way was:

The sickness will wear off, the love of making cakes will return and be it 2 or 22 kids you'll bake and decorate again, wait and see! They will have birthdays and other celebrations which have to be catered for and thats only for starters!!!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 37

You will do fine! Hopefully you'll be one of those ladies who get over their sickness and food aversions in the first trimester, then you'll be back in the cake decorating saddle again. As far as finding the time....if both of your kids are under 2, they will both still be taking naps. I know you'll have a lot of bottles to wash and laundry to do, but you'll be able to find the time. Kids are a lot of work, but you need to find time for yourself as well. Don't worry, you'll be able to do it!!! I had an infant and a 2 year old, and somehow I found the time. Don't be discouraged!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 37

First of all --read your signature again! icon_lol.gif

Please remember that while being a mommy is one of the most important jobs in the world, you can't do it with a good and loving heart if you are not given some "mommy time".

Some people need a little time once in a while to go to dinner, a movie, ect, I need a little time to make a cake get my creative juices flowing and know in my heart I am more that a bottle warmer.

Don't completely abandon yourself to become another role. You might need to put it on the back burner for a little while, but to be the best mommy you can be you have to be happy.

Just think of all the birthday cakes you have to look forward to! icon_biggrin.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 37

congrats on your pregnancy...have fun with it after the all day sickness is over. icon_smile.gif You will get back into cakes before you know it....dont worry....congrats again.

sherry4620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry4620 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 37

You will feel better soon...I couldn't smell any type of food when I was pregnant without feeling ill. It will pass and the kids will grow...I used to bake when my kids took a nap, it was my relaxation....You will be fine.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 37

aaaaaaaaaaaawwwwe....I sure hope you feel better soon.

Chicklets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chicklets Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 37

The sickness will be temporary! Plus just think of the fun you will have making wonderful creations with your children! Birthdays, Easter, 4th of July, Fall, Halloween, Christmas. I am the mother of almost 4 year old triplets and we have so much fun in the kitchen! It only gets easier and now we use it as a learning tool (we need 6 cups and have put in 3, how many more do we need?). Don't give it up! Just think of those birthday cakes you get to make and the creativity you will get to use!

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:03pm
post #12 of 37

Bless your heart. Here's a )))))HUG((((((

jamiesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiesue Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:13pm
post #13 of 37

Just remember children are a blessing from the Lord and I agree you do need some Mommy time. I have a 4 yr old and a 19 mo. old and this is the first thing I have done for myself (besides exercies) and it has been so theraputic.

I just hope the Lord doesn't decide to bless us again any time soon icon_lol.gif !

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:27pm
post #14 of 37

It sould pass after your first trimester. That is usually when you have the morning sickness and all of that but one day you will wake up and realize that you are ready to get back in the kitchen and start baking again. (With lots of breaks) since your feet and back will be hurting icon_smile.gif LOL but it will be fun and give you something to do. Good luck and hope you feel beter. And congradulations.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 37

That's what dads and grandparents are for!!! They can bounce the baby for a while while you ice, give him or her a hug, then pass him back to dad while you finish up!!! It can be done! And it'll give you more incentive to get the baby sleeping through the night sooner! LOL!!

I've got three kids, almost 7, 4 and almost 2. Dad puts them to bed at 7pm when i have a cake due and I start decorating after supper. It can be done!!!

Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 9:53pm
post #16 of 37

you'll do fine. i have 2 booys, both under 2, and they were born a year and 9 days apart. you'll get into a rythm soon where they'll both be asleep at the same time, and cakes will be the perfect way to relax during their naps

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 37

ummm...I have 5....(14, 6, 5 and 2yr old twins)

I use cake decorating to hide from them all....every last one of them!! Especially those double trouble twins!

dont give it totally up....you'll need something to "run away to"!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:08pm
post #18 of 37

I have one child of my own age 7, three step kids ages 14, 13 and 10, three live in nephews ages 9, 7, and 4.... if I can bake and decorate around all this you can too lol. Now granted the step kids don't live with us but living at my mother's with my 3 nephews, mom, dad, and my husband and daughter it gets hectic to say the least lol.

I have 2 cakes due Dec 9th, and a cake and 36 cupcakes due Dec 17th, all the while I'm moving during the month of december and will probably have the two youngest step kids living with us during the school break.... so yeah if I can do it thru all this you can do it while bouncing that baby icon_wink.gif

Congrats on the new baby. Buy a Johnny Jumper and a papoose thingie and carry the baby on your back if ya have to icon_wink.gif

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:18pm
post #19 of 37

First of all, congrats on the pregnancy. I've been trying to get pregnant for a while now, with no luck so far, but this has crossed my mind, too. It's great to read that so many people keep on working through the pregnancy. I've got a big wedding in July (I'm doing the cake and was recently asked to be bridesmaid -- awful but the bride's sister recently died and I'm "taking her place" in the wedding party), and now that July would be an awful time for me to be pregnant, watch it happen! icon_lol.gif

Anyway, set aside some "me" time and when the sickness passes, keep up your creative work!

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:23pm
post #20 of 37

congrats on your pregnancy!!! party.gif ...and do not be sad about it..i was like that too a month ago.i could not even visit my beloved cakecentral during my first trimester..now it's all starting to come back...take care of yourself and the baby and lots of hugs!!!!

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:30pm
post #21 of 37

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

I am in the same boat! Found out Halloween that I'm pregnant and just the though of BC makes me sick...sick...SICK! BLECH I managed to make a cake for Thanksgiving but it got NO special treatment. Heck...it almost had canned frosting on it. icon_surprised.gif

I have a son 21mo's old and hardly find time to bake with just him. We will find time to wind down and bake again.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:46pm
post #22 of 37

Been there and done that! I was pregnant with my twin boys (now 27 years old) and had a 3 year old as well. Prior to my pregnancy I was baking for my husband and for my mom's work parties, etc. I had a pretty good home business since my mom worked at the local clinic and had physicians ordering my cakes. THEN I got pregnant....and SICK SICK SICK of buttercream! LOLL I gave it up for a long while (not that you will even need to do that) but I guess the love for it never went away. Started back 3 years ago and have been going strong ever since!
I did bake for birthdays and special occasions and you will too!

Enjoy your children...they grow up very very quickly. But, you can do both...it just takes a little "creative thinking"!

GOOD LUCK and I hope you feel better soon!

Beth from KY

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 8:22pm
post #23 of 37

Congratulations on the pregnancy!! thumbs_up.gif I'm in my 14th week and still can't stand the smell of cakes and icing!!! My poor bf got cheated out of his b-day cake as I had all I could do to make it for him!

I have a 12 1/2yr old son, so this is like a whole new experience for me.

Good Luck..... the sickness does eventually bypass!!!!!

Bo

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 8:37pm
post #24 of 37

I have four children (ages 8, 6, 2 1/2 and 16 months) so it is really busy at my house (and noisy..lol) but this is something i can do from home having that many kids..

so you will be fine, i just do what i can in between all the things i need to get done for the kids..

Hope you feel better soon...morning sickness is a killer...

kylie

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 7:48pm
post #25 of 37

I can sympathize with you! I'm getting close to the end of my first trimester. I had two huge wedding cakes to do when I was about 6 1/2 weeks along. I thought I was going to die!!!! I cried and cried and soooo did not want to do those cakes. My DH was an angel as always and he ended up rolling out all of my fondant because I didn't have the energy to do it. I've been taking a break too, and really don't have a desire to do it right now. I'm hoping one day inspiration will return. I"m already feeling better in the morning sickness department. It will pass, dear! Hang in there!!

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:23am
post #26 of 37

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy!
I feel for you! I have three kids, ages 8, 5, and 8 months. I took a cake decorating class in the end of my pregnancy (my last class was three days before my son was born!). In the past eight months, I have made at least one cake a month, and I even made my first wedding cake! You'll get back into things, trust me. Making and decorating cakes is kind of a stress-reliever for me (if you can believe that!).
Good luck with everything, hope the nausea passes soon, and hope you have a healthy and happy baby and many years of cake decorating ahead of you!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 11:55pm
post #27 of 37

I have three boys, the last one did in my cake decorating for a while. As much as I loved it my husband made me stop after I threw up five times trying to make one cake. I cried the entire time and after it was finished I went on "forced maternity leave." I even took a little break from CC. Sitting at the computer made me sick... everything made me sick! It will pass though. As for decorating once the baby is born, it can be done. Just make sure that you only do things you really want to. If you take on too many things it will take the joy out of doing it and just stress everyone out. ! Best of luck. icon_biggrin.gif

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 12:16am
post #28 of 37

I can so relate to you. I was pregnant last year from Jan-Oct and didn't bake anything until August and when I did it was dreadful...I couldn't wait for it to be over - in my opinion it wasn't even my best work nor did I take photos to remember that cake. Finally baby number two came along and that was a fun new hobby to enjoy but by April I had to start baking again, knowing my maternity leave wasn't going to be over for another 6 months - I had to keep busy. Since I felt rested and once the baby was on a schedule, I'd bake during any free time available. Now that she's over a year and in bed each night at 8:30pm that's when my time baking begins and now I'm baking more cakes than ever before. Good luck to you and your new addition to your family. icon_smile.gif

DesignsbyVanessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyVanessa Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 3:11am
post #29 of 37

awww... don't worry about putting your hobby aside.... it's probably just for the first few months, wait and see how the second trimester goes and if you have to take a break for a bit don't feel bad... you'll be back before you know it ... I started cake decorating about 3 months ago and I have a 6 month old and a 1 1/2 year old ... my hands are full... but i take time here and there to do my cakes and browse on cc... so don't worry enjoy the pregnancy.... God bless.

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 9:42pm
post #30 of 37

Awwww, don't worry. Once the little one is here, you'll have all kinds of excuses to make cakes. Where there's a will there's a way. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%