Rolling Out Cookies

Baking By sarajohnson Updated 29 Nov 2006 , 6:43pm by jstritt

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:04am
post #1 of 9

for the life of me I can't roll out good cookies, they break apart, peel parts up. its just a huge mess. I know people say they roll it out on wax paper and such but every time I try the paper moves everywear, how do you make it stick? how do you roll cookies?

thank you

8 replies
lacie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacie Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:13am
post #2 of 9

i always use wax or parchment paper, i make sure my sheets are cut so they hang of the edge of counter about 2-4 inches, i then kinda lean in pinning the paper edges between me and the counter top. i have tried tapeing but it doesn't seem to hold

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 4:57am
post #3 of 9

i tried that method before too but it doesn't work! i'm so frustrated 5 cookies take me an hour cuz I can't roll them fast enough

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 9

I lay down a piece of wax paper, then place a paint stick (the kind you get with your gallon of paint-it 's the perfect thickness) on the right and left edges. I sprinkle flour over the wax paper, then add a disk of dough that I've flattened somewhat. Sprinkle some more flour, and begin rolling, keeping the roller on top of the paint sticks to ensure an even cookie thickness. (I prefer a marble roller, too. The dough seems to stick less). You'll have to keep sprinkling some flour every so often, or you'll have sticking problems. Good luck!

simpletreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simpletreats Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 9

I have started using one of the rol-pat things! LOVE IT! I used to do everything on contact paper, have taped sides down of freezer paper too. But the rol-pat is by far the best yet! I sprinkle flour, I have dowel rods I use for thickness that are on the sides and then put down the dough, sprinkle with more flour, roll and flip! I usually can get two more sets of cookies cut while one is baking!

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 9

I put the wax paper on a cutting board, or cookie sheet, place a glob of dough on the wax paper, then put another sheet of wax paper on top.

I always lightly mist the wax paper with cooking spray before rolling, just so it doesn't stick.

I also put a towel or shelfing paper beneath the flat surface that I am rolling it out on, so it doesn't shift.

Then I pop the cookie sheet/cutting board in the freezer for 10 minutes, cut out the cookies, pop them back in the freezer for about 5 - 10 min, remove, and place on cookie sheet and then they go in to the oven.

donnalea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnalea Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 9

I just started using a Roulpat and it's the best! They're about $40 but you can use a 20% coupon @ Bed, Bath & Beyond or Linens 'N Things. I also use dowel rods on each side to ensure I roll out the dough evenly.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 9

have you tried the "roll between 2 sheets of waxed or parchment paper" method that a lot of people use here on this site? It's so fantastic and nothing sticks...

oh duh, oneprimalscream already outlined that method! lol

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 9

I always roll mine out between two sheets of wax paper. It works great! I'm too cheap to splurge on silpat or the like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%