How To Start A Cake Decorating Business In Australia?

Business By aizuodangao Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 11:47am by aizuodangao

aizuodangao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aizuodangao Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 7:38am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I am starting to think seriously about changing my career path to cake decorating. I know I still have a long way to go yet. Next year, I plan to start making cakes for friends/relatives (instead of giving presents).

I am thinking way ahead here. Thought I'll start doing some homework first and start checking things out and start finding out what I need to prepare.

OK. What happens after i make cakes for friends/relatives and they like my cakes?

What happen then?

I have so many quetions ie:

1) How to work out what to charge for cakes/cookies/cup cakes?
(at least I don't have to worry about delivery as I don't drive and customers will have to pick up icon_smile.gif
2) What do I need to know B4 I start selling cakes??????????
(legality issues, health inspectors, etc?????? Insurance?
3) need to register business (even if small business)? who to contact?

I'd rather not have to do all these till my business is well established (if this is at all possible), can I just enjoy a 'small home business' first without thinking of all these or do they go hand in hand?

4) I guess if I don't have an ABN number, I can't buy things at wholelsale price. Which means I will have to add the costs of this into the price. Right?

Oh too many questions. Will add to this when i think of them.

can any aussies help?

2 replies
sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 7:54am
post #2 of 3

Hi

i live in victoria, in a relatively small town and i have only recently started to sell my cakes. i just made up some flyers and left them at the local bakery as they don't make speciatly cakes so they were willing to pass people on to me...

i am not legal at the moment and am just doing it from home. i hope to continue this way unless someone reports me to my local council....lol

i would say just start small and see how you go..

as for prices i have no idea i just charge what i think is reasonable (not always what the cake is worth). people do seem to want something for nothing alot..

hope i have helped some!

kylie

aizuodangao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aizuodangao Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:47am
post #3 of 3

hi kylie

nice to hear from you!

With all the strict regulations, I'm not even sure it's a good idea for me to start a home business. Might just settle making cakes from friends as gifts I think.

good luck
violet

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%