Freeze A Fresh Strawberry Baked Cake?

Decorating By GI Updated 12 Nov 2019 , 1:37am by -K8memphis

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:26am
post #1 of 8

Okay -- so I purchased the very last bit of fresh, luscious strawberries for the season at a FANTASTIC price!!!

I wish to make the Strawberry cake (recipe here on CC) and stick it in the freezer. Unfrosted of course! I've made this cake a couple of times and it is absolutely to die for. Very dense, moist cake.

So can I stick it in the freezer, defrost in the fridge, and frost as usual?
icon_confused.gif
I don't want a gummy nasty cake!!

THANKS!!

7 replies
LaceyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaceyLou Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:40am
post #2 of 8

ok, i have a wedding cake for this week, and they want to save the top layer for their anniversary. so i cant figure out what sixe cakes to do. it will need to serve 200 (minus the top, of course)

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:43am
post #3 of 8

I don't see any reason why you could not freeze it. I have frozen just about all kinds of cake. Always wrap in 2 layers of saran wrap then in freezer zip loc. When you get ready to use them just let them get to room temp before you frost.

Linda

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:06am
post #4 of 8

LaceyLou
How odd that two totally different topics came up back to back on the same thread.
Do you know what shape? That will make a difference on the sizes of the layers
Jibbies

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:22am
post #5 of 8

It is a little odd on the two topics!

Thanks, Linliv46!

Might I add -- I have frozen this Strawberry cake once before & thought it had turned out OK. However, the recipients said it was gummy in the middle. They had taken it from the fridge to a hot car..so I had chalked up the gumminess to the hot car! icon_confused.gif

Pretty nervous to try it again so thought I throw it out there!!

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 8

Which strawberry cake recipe are you referring to? I've made a million of them and still not happy with results

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 8

Mama grease this is a VERY old post & the OPs Don’t seem to be around any longer 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 1:37am
post #8 of 8

if its got fresh strawberries in it -- the water in the berries will melt out  separately and that could also cause it to go gummy fwiw

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%