Registering As A Limited Liability Company

Business By MsCakeLady Updated 27 Nov 2006 , 12:55am by AnnMelanie

MsCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsCakeLady Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 3:43am
post #1 of 8

Has anyone in ohio or else where done this. What are the advantages to it? I have a wedding comming up in two weeks and someone suggested that I do it. What do you think?

7 replies
TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 5:30am
post #2 of 8

I am not sure what limited liability covers. I have liability insurance. My insurance covers anyone sueing me in case of food poisoning, the space I rent burning down up to a certain amount and some other stuff. Maybe someone else can help out with the limited liability insurance issue. Or, just call and ask an insurance company. My insurance was pretty cheap.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 5:48am
post #3 of 8

I'm an LLC. It helps protect your personal assets in case of any problems. It's different than a sole proprietorship. Just took my attorney a few days to get everything drawn up.

MsCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsCakeLady Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 8

Indydebi did you also get the libaility insurance aswell?

indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 8

I already had the liability insurance in place before I became an LLC. They are two different things; two different issues. You can obtain liability insurance if you are a sole proprietor, which you can set up yourself. Since I have a number of ventures going on, the LLC was the next logical step.

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 8

Please, please, please seek the advice of an attorney before taking this step! Also, consult your accountant for tax advice. They really don't charge as much as you might think, and this step could save you THOUSANDS of dollars depending on your unique situation.

indydebi Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:47am
post #7 of 8

Totally agree with derby. I know of someone who set up their own LLC themselves, but in one of Martha Stewart's books, she says anyone who thinks they are saving money by NOT going to an attorney to start with is kidding themselves. Since she made it to billionaire status, I'd tend to follow her advice. icon_wink.gif

AnnMelanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnMelanie Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:55am
post #8 of 8

I recently went to a small business administration class - and they suggested that we could go through a local college who had apprentice attorneys who would help set up our LLC under supervision if needed, at a much reduced fee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%