Lacquer Finished Fondant

Decorating By sarajohnson Updated 26 Nov 2006 , 5:42pm by GatuPR

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 12

how do i make fondant have a lacquer type finish? not the shine from the shimmering dust. Would painting it in clear piping gel create that? and if so can you airbrush thinned piping gel?

thank you

11 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 12

I would use confectioner's glaze. I get it from my local cake supply shop. Lots of places sell it online, too. Piping gel would probably work, but would be harder to get as smooth.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 12

I saw on Foon Network once Mike McCary using piping gel on fondant to give it a plastic like shine. I would imagin he watered the stuff down to do so but I'm not possitive.

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 12

is confectioners glaze just pwd sugar and water or milk?

redred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redred Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 12

I understood that confectioner's glaze needs cleanup with alcohol, so imagine it is not just sugar and water.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 12

I use confectioners glaze and yes you have to clean the brush straight away otherwise it is ruined. I use some dishwashing liquid straight in the palm of my hand, swish it around then wash in the normal way.
With the confectioners glaze I find it hard to get it looking even over a big area, sort of looks like water marks but is okay for small areas like leaves and flowers. Would be interested to know how other people apply it to get it even. Sometimes I just use a cotton bud and then biff it.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 12

I've never used it on anything large, so I'm no help.

As for cleaning, I cleaned my brush first in Everclear and then full-strength dishwashing detergent.

I think the stuff is some kind of gum, but it really IS tough!

sc

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 12

I find that just painting with water makes the fondant look laquered, water dissolves the sugar and gives it a shine. Why don't you try it first, and if it is not shiny enough you can move on to the "stronger" stuff.

BakingGirl

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 12

I just saw an edible laquer spray at pastrychef.com. It doesn't say it ca be used on fondant but perhaps you could contact the company and ask.

http://pastrychef.com/Catalog/edible_spray_lacquer_3582724.htm

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 1:44am
post #10 of 12

I'm not sure if this is the look you are going for but I sprayed butter flavored Pam onto my palm and rubbed it on the fondant gently. It gives it a nice shine for a day. After that it dries a little which is good if you want to clean off your fondant, I found. I did that on my purple topsy cake.

sherry4620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry4620 Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 1:59am
post #11 of 12

I used piping gel and applied it with a paint brush...it made it very shiny ...sometimes I add a luster to it and it really shines.

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 5:42pm
post #12 of 12

once, I applied wilton's brush-on color in red over mmf and it gave the cake a really nice shine, very different and everyone liked it. i just use a medium size brush to cover more area and they come in many colors, just an idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%