I Have Never Worked With Gum Paste

Decorating By darrahmomof3 Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 9:56pm by darrahmomof3

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 7

I see so many wonderful things on here made from gum paste. I have never attempted it yet. Is it difficult? Any tips, I may go get the stuff tonight and make something.

6 replies
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 7

it is not difficult at all....some flowers are very detailed so you have to have a lot of the tools. give it a try and let us know how you like it.

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 7

Howdy neighbor, gumpaste is a lot like fondant, but I don't have much experience. Just remember that it dries out quickly. I am taking the fondant and gumpaste course at the HL. I do know that it dries out rock hard. I just used it to make goal posts for a cake myself. I do wish you alot of luck with the world of gumpaste.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 7

Well.. what are you planning on trying to make? As for basics I'd say the best thing you can do is work with a good quality gumpaste. I recommend the Nic Lodge recipe that was pointed out to me by the wonderful Miss ShirleyW. http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm. If you can't find tylose you can use gum taraganth instead.

For making figures and the like you shouldn't need much other than your hands.. but for flowers you should take a peek in the thread that Shirley posted here http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54056.html.. it is full of great tips and tools.

A nonstick cell board and rolling pin are a must for flowers.. I tried to get away with not having one, but it makes a huge difference in how thin I can roll out my GP. Metal ball tools are a must in my book too.. they work the best when compared to plastic tools. The dresden tool is great for veining as well.

It's not harder to work with than fondant, but it does dry much quicker so it can be tricky in that respect. Good luck!!

darrahmomof3 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl

Howdy neighbor, gumpaste is a lot like fondant, but I don't have much experience. Just remember that it dries out quickly. I am taking the fondant and gumpaste course at the HL. I do know that it dries out rock hard. I just used it to make goal posts for a cake myself. I do wish you alot of luck with the world of gumpaste.

Sandygirl---Nice to hear from someone so close!! I wish I was closer a HL,I would love to take a class. I have never taken any classes. I love working with fondant. I rarely see anyone on here very clse to us.

thanks for all the input. I am not sure what to make first, just wanting to play around now. I am SURE I can find something to make!!

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 7

If you have a Michaels or another craft shop near by try the wilton gumpaste kit. Has some basic tools and an instruction manual. I would also suggest you start off with some of the premade gumpaste to get a feel for the texture. That's what I did when I first started I wasn't sure if I would like it or be very good at it. Turns out I love it and I'm actually pretty good at it. Now I am buying better tools and making my own. I know that I get very excited about new projects go out and spend a fortune on everything then wish I hadn't, this way it was trying without worrying so much about the expence. JMHO

darrahmomof3 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biya

If you have a Michaels or another craft shop near by try the wilton gumpaste kit. Has some basic tools and an instruction manual. I would also suggest you start off with some of the premade gumpaste to get a feel for the texture. That's what I did when I first started I wasn't sure if I would like it or be very good at it. Turns out I love it and I'm actually pretty good at it. Now I am buying better tools and making my own. I know that I get very excited about new projects go out and spend a fortune on everything then wish I hadn't, this way it was trying without worrying so much about the expence. JMHO

I believe that is what I will do. The closest stor is 1 hr away. Maybe they are running 40% off now,that would be great!! Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%